Old links... quick and dirty
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Quick and Dirty Lettuce?
Comments (13)Transplanting is very simple. I use this germination method for hydro and soil, both. As soon as a true leaf is showing I transplant. Lettuce bounces back very well even if you do a little root damage (though you should try to avoid it, of course). I simply use a spoon to scoop out the plant or sometimes a few plants at once. I submerge the roots in one of those bowls to get the coir off if I need to, but I don't normally need to since I use coir as a medium for hydro and obviously don't need to remove it for the soil. I always submerge them if there are two or three plants intertwined, though. It's better to let them separate by gently swishing them around in water than to pull them and break some of the roots. I grow the purple lettuce for decoration as much as food. Ever let that stuff go to seed? It's beautiful! Gets 3 - 4 feet tall and has yellow flowers on a purple leaved plant. On top of that, you can harvest one plant's worth of seeds to have thousands available. I've not had any problem with germinating lettuce seed from plants grown from commercially sold seed, either. I have with tomatoes and peppers and such, of course. Last, my hydro isn't what most people use for lettuce. I've done the rafts. Seen NFT. Feel the rafts are a pain for cleaning and maintenance compared to just using a drip system (aka plastic spaghetti jars with small holes in the very bottom to slowly release nutrient) in a 14 gallon container with coir (chunk and fiber mix). I also reuse my coir several times. Since my wick systems are working so well for my potted peppers, I think I will start trying to use the same system I use for germination to grow the lettuce to maturity. I'll just use deeper coir, of course, like in the 14 gallon containers....See MoreAsset Rich and "Old"- a guide to Dirty Conservatorships/Guardians
Comments (5)>>"...because we all have to watch out that any government group just does not step in and take over...">> No GOVERNMENT group is trying to do this. It is unscrupulous individuals who take advantage of outright fraud or use specific legal loopholes to deprive an elderly person of their assets. The link below lists several cases where fraud and financial elder abuse was successfully prosecuted BY those government groups on behalf of victimized seniors. My MIL could easily have been one of these people. She is naive, financially unsophisticated, and suffers from MCI (Mild Cognitive Decline). A sympathetic, earnest, friendly con artist could snowball her in the proverbial blink of an eye. And frankly - 90% of her widowed friends are just as vulnerable. At least 50% of them have no children or lack family living close by. One of her friends has a $4M estate and absolutely no one in the US to help her make decisions. Her nearest relative lives in Scotland! Here is a link that might be useful: Archive: California Real Estate Fraud Report...See MoreQuick & dirty question: Rod pocket or Back/hidden tab?
Comments (21)I have a little of everything in my house - they are all casual. My style is not formal at all. My LR drapes (a Pottery Barn paisley) are on rings and are lined. I can close them easily enough, but never do. My DR are top tabs just because I found a good deal on a casual heavy cotton with a texture in a sage color that I needed. It works for me. I don't usually like just valances, but they work better in my office because the desk sits under a window and I didn't want panels muddled up with all the cords,etc. I found a good deal on valances with back tabs. I never touch them and they hang very nicely at all times. I also have a valance on my kitchen window and they are shirred on the rod. My spare bedroom has light-weight white cotton shir-on rod pockets which suits the cottagy look I have going on there. I have white wooden blinds uner them. My master bedroom has white blinds with no drapes - looks fine with my "shades of beige and white". I think it mostly depends on the look you are going for, but also the fabric of the drape. I will NEVER have formal pinch-pleated drapes in my home in damask or silk. I love a good cotton or cotton/rayon blend....See MoreFind the Critter!
Comments (51)Thanks, Rhizo. I appreciate you kind words. You left a lot of white space. Did you take a snooze in the return key? Oh, you want me to provide another Jane Doe image? In this one, before she gets to the Waldo site, I tried to brighten it up a bit — so you can get a sense of what she looks like. The pencil tool on my iPad is too thick and imprecise, or I would outline her tails, legs, body. This brightened image might help you. BTW, pre-1200 orange leader crazy antics ago, I asked a question about brown spots on my common spearmint. You nailed it — nine line beetle. Later, looking at the photos I’d snapped, I could see the red larval rendition of it. Darn. Every year the ruin my mint (required for Thai and Vietnamese dishes and mojitos). Nearby is every beloved host plant to the stinkers. See how cool her brown, flat, short tail is? It is white beneath, and you can see the white on each side edge. Her belly is mostly white. Nice long sinewy legs. I liked her coming by and hanging out. I have lots of roses and raspberry canes to share. Unfortunately, she stopped coming by a day or so after bow hunting season began. I’d asked an acquaintance w a nearby deer stand to please spare her. I suspect she’s now in someone’s freezer. I get that there are perhaps too many of them and I am not opposed to humane hunting. But this was an uplifting visitor to our yard as the pandemic and populist dumb-butt politics consume everything decent. Last year my handsome buck went missing. He would come buy regularly to snack on wild grass. (We do not feed them or put anything out for them — just a clearing in the woods with natural grass and brambles.)...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Stories

GREAT HOME PROJECTSHate Hauling Laundry? Give Dirty Clothes the Chute
New project for a new year: Install a quick route to the laundry room
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Clever Skybridge Connects Old and New in Texas
The bridge links a historic house to a playful, light-filled addition that nearly doubles the size of this home
Full Story
CONTAINER GARDENS3 Steps to Creating Quick, Easy and Colorful Succulent Containers
Take a bright container, add a colorful succulent or two and have a professional, summery design in minutes
Full Story
HOME TECH3 Shower Sound Systems That Beat Your Clunky Old Radio
Stream music, radio and podcasts — and even take phone calls — right in your shower, with wireless and water-resistant sound systems
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESHouzz Tour: 1960s Home Remodel Marries Old and New
For this Chicago addition and refresh, an interior designer balances splurges and saves
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGThe Quick and Easy Way to Clean a Microwave
All you need is water and a couple of other natural ingredients to get your appliance sparkling and smelling fresh again
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSYour Checklist for Quick Houseguest Prep
Follow these steps to get your home ready in a hurry for overnight visitors
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING10 Quick and Easy Cleaning Hacks
Save time and money with these tips for keeping your microwave, toilet bowl, garbage disposal and more in tiptop shape
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow to Reface Your Old Kitchen Cabinets
Find out what’s involved in updating your cabinets by refinishing or replacing doors and drawers
Full StoryMore Discussions






Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)Original Author