SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

My 90 yo Mom's Covid Test.....

tvq1
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My Mom is in a lovely senior facility and they are taking very good care of her.

She started coughing on Tuesday, and has some congestion. No fever, and the chest X-ray was clear. BUT--it will take at least 7 days to get the results of the Covid test, and of course she is quarantined to her room for the duration. I'm guessing it's just a cold, but at her age, nothing is "just a cold". She is quite frail.

I don't fault them for this, but it has been so hard on her to not be allowed to see her family. I can definitely tell that she has had major cognitive decline in the last 7 months. To not be allowed out of her apartment is so sad. To top it off, Sunday is her 90th birthday! We had planned to have a cake and balloons delivered to the dining room, so at least she would have a bit of a celebration with her friends. The only blessing is that she won't know or remember it's her birthday.

Anyone else dealing with aging parents they can't see and hug? Have you done FaceTime calls or window visits? Any other ideas to make it easier for her? I do call her at least once a day, if not twice.

** Edited to add: It didn't take 7 days to get results, the nurse manager called me this afternoon to let me know her Covid test was positive. Also received a call from her Doctor, she has consulted with several geriatric doctors in our area, and is prescribing steroids, and a few supplements. They will call me each morning to let me know how she is doing.

Comments (37)