Covid has hit my family

share_oh

My 85 year old dad is in the hospital with covid. He's doing well. They gave him 2 drugs which really helped him quickly. Sadly there are no visitors allowed.

My 83 year old mom talked to their PCP who was able to access the hospital records via computer and gave her an update on what was going on. He does not even go to the hospital to check on him like he normally would.

My mom asked about getting a test for herself and the dr said don't bother, there's no way you don't have it. She had 100 deg fever one night but it was gone the next morning. Since she's not getting tested, she's not going to be one of the statistics showing the # of infections.

The dr told her to quarantine for 2 weeks. Someone from the health dept called for my dad the other day and she gave him his hospital phone # to call. The worker never asked my mom if she was sick too. Missed opportunity to contract trace where my mom had been prior to this.

My 26 year old nephew had been out to their house to help them with some technology and now he is extremely ill... too sick to go get a test but his symptoms and his exposure to them point to covid.

Our hospitals here are saying they are at 90% capacity. My concern is if my dad gets sent home too early and relapses, will there be a bed for him to go back? Or are the drs going to have to start making difficult decisions on who to treat and who not?

I'm flabbergasted at how many people still aren't taking this seriously and how selfish so many people are.

A dr on the news this morning said, there's no safe way to have a holiday gathering with people who don't live in your house. We had already cancelled our family Thanksgiving dinner and now we are planning not to see anyone for Christmas either. People need to give up these holidays for one year so they can have more of them in the future.

SaveComment43Like10
Comments (43)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chisue

Not good news, but it sounds like your dad is being well cared for. Primary docs no longer attend patients in hospital. Their duties are taken over by 'hospitalists' (a physician specialty). That has its good and bad points!

Can your mom and nephew go to the ER and get admitted -- if necessary? The first thing the ER will do is test for Covid. How is your nephew isolating if he's that sick?

Thanks for your first-hand alert about this deadly 'game'.

1 Like Save    
Judy Good

A friend has been hospitalized for 6 days with covid, he is going to be discharged today thank goodness. Hope everyone gets well soon.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Good thoughts and prayers for your family.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

My thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Keep us updated.

My concern is if my dad gets sent home too early and relapses

This is happening less than it used to, because Medicare payment penalties are now linked to early readmissions. Hospitals do not want those financial penalties.

1 Like Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Keep us up to date, share_oh. I'm wishing the best for all of you.

1 Like Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

Hoping everyone has a full recovery

1 Like Save    
Rusty

Prayers going up for healing for your family.

Rusty

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

1 Like Save    
stacey_mb

Wishing you the best for complete recovery of your family members.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Our most recent report says 96.4% recovery rate for my state, Illinois. We know a lot better how to treat Covid than we did last spring.

2 Likes Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

a friend of ours had the virus and because of lack of beds and that he was not going to survive was sent home to die and he did.

Save    
glenda_al

Prayers going up for healing

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

I'm sorry that your family is infected and I hope they recover without complications.

1 Like Save    
terezosa / terriks

Our most recent report says 96.4% recovery rate for my state, Illinois

That means a death rate of 3.6%!

That's very high.

Save    
woodrose

share_oh, I pray all of your family members get well soon. It's hit my family, too. My nephew's widow has it and is in quarantine at home. Several members of sister's late husband's family had it, and that was as close to my family as it had gotten until now.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I hope everyone makes a full recovery. However your mother will need to watch both of them for after affects. I keep reading of people who are dismissed then have sharp relapses about 3-5 days later. If you do not have a POA for both of your parents I would suggest that people talk to them and obtain one. You may need to have a separate ones for health and finances. Many older people do not want anyone "messing with their finances" so you may need to convince them about a medical one. Just remember if the person that you have a POA for dies the POA stops.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Best wishes for a complete recovery for your family. I'm glad they are willing and able to quarantine -- they are doing us all a service when they keep the infection out of the community.

1 Like Save    
H B

I am really sorry to hear your family is suffering, and hope for a steady and quick recovery. I don't know but assume the _OH in your name signifies Ohio; a member of my family in OH has covid now too, they lost their sense of taste/smell. Unfortunately the time between probable infection and being diagnosed was about a week, during which they of course carried on as they have been (not recklessly but as a parent they are doing all the things a parent would do)...now hoping the rest of the family they live with does not have it too (they are all isolating). It's scary and we really hope everyone recovers well. Lots to worry about.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

So sorry to read this. Wishing your family all the best.

And I couldn't agree more. It is appalling and saddening that there are so many people in flat out denial about this horrible state of affairs. We will never overcome this as long as they remain that way.

And sadly, there are people who are termed 'long haulers' - still suffering from varying degrees of lingering symptoms for months afterward.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

"Our most recent report says 96.4% recovery rate for my state, Illinois"

That's a fairly typical rate. The case fatality rate has been hovering around 3% for a while. By comparison, the case fatality rate for flu is 0.1%.

2 Likes Save    
whistle_b

Wishing you and your family the best and a speedy recovery for all.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

So sorry to hear this. I hope everyone gets well soon!

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

I'm so sorry for your family and for you that this is happening! My thoughts for a quick recovery go to you and your family. Hugs.

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

Our most recent report says 96.4% recovery rate for my state, Illinois

That means a death rate of 3.6%!

The death rate, to date, for Illinois is around 1.7%. (deaths divided by confirmed cases)

The death rate, to date, in Wisconsin is around 0.8%.

Obviously missing from any calculation are the undiagnosed cases which means that the actual death rate is some ?number less than calculated.

I wonder what 'recovery rate' means. Because that figure doesn't match up with the actual # of deaths divided by known # of cases.

Save    
ci_lantro

They gave him 2 drugs which really helped him quickly.

Share, what are the two drugs?

Save    
socks

Share, how scary. Just what you DIDN'T want, right? My heart reaches out to you and your family in hope that you get through this horrible time with everyone ok. So sorry.

1 Like Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Well, a good friend of ours died last night from COVID. He had been taken to the hospital 3 times. The third time he was transferred to a larger hospital 2 hours south. He was on a ventilator, placed in a medically induced coma, and given a paralyzing drug to keep him from pulling out the ventilator. 2 nights ago his heart stopped twice, last night they let him go.

Him and his wife did not believe in masks. They would walk into a store with mask on then pull them off! She got it too, but much milder.

They told us repeatedly COVID was a hoax! ( sound familiar?)

They traveled thru the Upper Peninsula a couple of weeks ago. That’s when they got sick. So it was shared at hotels and restaurants. The health department did do contact tracing. Unfortunately none of their friends would go over to the house to comfort her, for fear of COVID. I felt so bad not being there for her, but not about to put my family in danger.

So people, PLEASE MASK UP!

8 Likes Save    
Lucille

Kathy I am so sorry, condolences on the loss of your friend. I would not wish that kind of horrifying ventilator Covid death on anyone, even the disbelievers.

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

Oh share - I am so sorry. I hope everyone recovers quickly and you'll soon be able to see them.

The mother and stepdad of Robert Garcia, the mayor of Long Beach, died in July of covid19 two weeks apart. He was interviewed on MSNBC this morning. One comment he said really hit home for me. He said that for the first time he won't celebrate Thanksgiving with his mom or stepdad and will never do so again. He went on to say that if you want to beable to see your loved ones next year for Thanksgiving, then wear a mask and only be with your immediate household family this year.

4 Likes Save    
maifleur03

The important part beyond wearing the mask is being with your immediate household family. That does not mean immediate family the way I see comments but only those you live with. Then remember it during the upcoming months.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The death rate, to date, for Illinois is around 1.7%. (deaths divided by confirmed cases)

To calculate a proper death rate, it should be deaths divided by confirmed cases that have resolved (those recovered+those who died). Especially when disease acquisition rates are rising so quickly, it's skews the numbers to include people who are sick and will die but haven't gotten there yet.

So using Johns Hopkins Data for NY state, the had 34,252 deaths and 82,766 recovered for a death rate of 29%. For TX it's much lower at 2.2% (20751/922694).

No wonder people in the NY area are suffering from PTSD with this thing...

Save    
Kathsgrdn

My old friend's daughter's new father-in-law died this past week of Covid 19. He was expecting to go back to work, took a turn for the worst and passed away. Just makes me sad. He was only 53 with no health problems.

My other old friend out West just became a grandmother this week. She wasn't able to be there for her first grandchild's birth because of Covid 19 restrictions. I worry about her because she is on life-long chemo for stage IV cancer. No telling when she will get to see the new baby.

Another Veteran died this past week at our nearest long-term vet center. That makes 25. They kept it out of the center up until this Fall when cases in the community went crazy. We now have some in our long-term units too, where I work.

Kentucky also lost a teenager this past week.

It's going to get worse especially here where at least half the people don't wear masks or wear them below their noses.

2 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

To calculate a proper death rate, it should be deaths divided by confirmed cases that have resolved (those recovered+those who died). Especially when disease acquisition rates are rising so quickly, it's skews the numbers to include people who are sick and will die but haven't gotten there yet.

Obviously, this is an ongoing event. I'm aware of that^. Which is why I said 'The death rate, to date...'

Early on, the death rate was skewed because so many health compromised elderly in care home situations succumbed to Covid. (The early cases, negative skewing is still reflected in the overall death rate %) And health care professionals didn't have a clue as to how to treat patients. They have some tools in the drawer now, methods, meds, as well as a generally more healthy (overall) patient profile that skews the #'s to the positive side...(or rather, works to average out the early on negative skew.)

So, if anything, we should expect the death rate % to decline because of improved treatment and a more representative segment of the population getting Covid. (as opposed to the early cases in nursing homes & care settings). Barring the emergence of a more lethal mutation of the virus, that is.

But because Covid is more widespread, the numbers who get it are much larger--we will know of, hear of more cases, more people who die because of it when, in truth, the death rate could be declining.

I'm just trying to keep things in perspective, not to be argumentative.

1 Like Save    
tvq1

Sending you good thoughts for a full recovery for both of your parents. I definitely understand the worry-my 90 yo, very frail Mom was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Her neighbor across the hall (95 yo!) was diagnosed at the same time. Both have fully recovered and my Mom says she feels great!

Hoping for the same for your parents!

2 Likes Save    
share_oh

Thank you everyone!

Good news - my dad was released from the hospital yesterday!

I wish I knew the 2 drugs he was given because I'm curious as well. Unfortunately my mom couldn't remember what the dr said, only that they were long, hard to pronounce names, so who knows?

I feel hopeful that an elderly, overweight man, was able to survive this. I know they are making great strides in the treatments compared to last spring when so little was known about the virus.

I'm sad to read the above stories of people who didn't make it. We hear all too many of those still. One death is too many, if it's your family member or friend.

Oh and I texted with my nephew yesterday who said he was feeling better. He didn't give any details so I hope he was being honest with me. Hopefully he's one of the fortunate ones that doesn't need to go to the ER. He has no insurance so I know that's of a big concern to him.

Again, thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. We had a lot of people praying for my dad and I firmly believe he's doing so much better because of them!

14 Likes Save    
chisue

Good news! Happy for you!

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Glad for the good news!

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Share, so happy that things are looking up. Keeping your family in my prayers.

Save    
bpath

Now you can breathe, and so can he! Thank you so much for the update!

Save    
yeonassky

Share oh so glad for you! Wonderful news that your father is well enough to be released and that your son is improving. Such a relief to hear. Hugs again to you and your family.

Tears are standing in my eyes as I read about the losses of Kathyg's, and Kathsgrdn's friends and everyone else. So horrible. Seems so unfair and so wrong.

I find numbers to be very confusing anyway and now I am told that perhaps our numbers here in BC are incorrect . It has something to do with private companies testing their people and that skews our numbers? They were particularly talking about the movie industry but I would imagine that could be any company with large numbers of people using private services to test them. All this to say our numbers are probably much larger than we know. Anyway I am very sad about it.

To battle our rising numbers here in BC we are in restricted movement again.

We can only have our own household in our homes.

We are now for the first time mandated to wear masks in any indoor public space. That includes offices and stores. I have been wearing a mask inside anywhere since almost the beginning .

It doesn't include schools as that is not considered to be public place. Makes me a little nervous when I hear of the people congregating after school after all the care everyone takes in school.

We can't go anywhere but local and we're asked to go as infrequently as possible.

Unfortunately that's not possible for people like DH and myself who work and have since the beginning of this crisis. We try to minimize our trips to shops but there is some necessary shopping still that we have to do.

Save    
maifleur03

Some of the reports do show the number of tests used but I try to look at ones that show confirmed tests each day. I use both the state, although you probably would use the province numbers, and the Worldometers numbers. I also where shown look and remove from the overall positives the ones that have been "recovered" to see the current number of active cases. It takes some juggling of figures but since I have been looking since March it seems automatic now.

One of my pet peeves is that there is no place to go for the number of people who have been cleared of the virus but have either side affects or long term health problems like scarring of lungs or heart damage caused by the virus. I have thought for a while if those numbers were being published more people would not think this is just a minor inconvenience.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I have a former co-worker, who has been somewhat of a mask denier - opposed to mandates and store requirements, doubting that they work, protesting our local and state governments, for examples. She (an RN) does wear them as required at work I believe.

She is now sick with Covid, quite uncomfortable but not dangerously ill at this point. What is mind boggling to me is that she now sees this as proof that "masks don't work" (and has several other of her coworkers, all of a conservative bent, agreeing with her!!) She posted that she "always wore a mask and hasn't been around anyone except her husband"..... however her husband is another mask denier who just spent several weeks in Florida, and she has had several FB posts in the past month showing them both out with other people at indoor venues, in close proximity, and no masks on anyone. Denial is strong!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros 7 Landscape Pros on How COVID-19 Has Changed Their Business
Landscape designers and architects are seeing great demand for their services as they adjust to the pandemic
Full Story
For Pros 5 Landscape Pros on How Business Has Changed During COVID-19
Business is booming for many landscape construction and design firms, which have adapted to pandemic conditions
Full Story
Farmhouses My Houzz: Eclectic Vintage Charm in a Family’s Texas Farmhouse
See how this family of 3 created a Wi-Fi- and TV-free weekend home that has a country music theme
Full Story