Has a business that you liked closed due to Covid 19?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (51)
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
COVID-19 disruption
Comments (46)Here in Wisconsin, visits to state parks and forests have increased significantly since last March. It wasn't all good, as the DNR had to briefly close some facilities due to people leaving their trash around. Come on people! Still, my hope is there will be a renewed (and sustained) interest in getting back to nature. Every January several of our friends get together and have a "Living Room Adventure," where we show pictures and talk about the places we visited the past year. Due to Covid, it was done via Zoom last month. Normally these annual get togethers center around far away places some of us have visited. This year the theme was overwhelmingly centered on places closer to home...in some cases our back yard or local woods. I see this as a positive. :)...See MoreAre you satisfied with how your state is managing Covid-19 response?
Comments (48)As someone who deals with facts on a daily basis in addition to the skill of evaluating the validity of research data (I teach science), the idea that data and facts cannot be objectively verified I find puzzling. As I mentioned, we use facts all the time to make decisions, for example, we check the weather before going somewhere to determine how to dress. Weather predictions are made based on facts, measurements and data. But, since weather is a system that is highly variable (many data points and facts affect the system) there is always going to be some level of uncertainty in your predictions. Meteorologists factor that into their weather reports, and usually give a range of predictions, such as 20% chance of rain. That is not zero, btw, so I always carry a collapsible umbrella in my car. But we don't assume that a meteorologist has some hidden political agenda, nor do we necessarily question the need for weather forecasting, particularly those of us in outdoor professions who depend on reliable weather data to make critical decisions. I have no reason to doubt that the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, one of the most respected and admired research centers in the world, would not be working diligently to present the best and most valid data available. Also, since science thrives on constant questioning and examination, they would not rest until more and more "truth" could be determined. I know science constantly refines ideas, I'm comfortable with evolving advice based on the results of more and more information being investigated and newer data coming in. That's why medical advice evolves over time and what was once standard advice, (like taking vit. E protects against heart disease, for example, which has evolved to it being a minor preventative factor if at all, not trumping genetics, and having no benefit in clinical studies as a treatment, in fact in might be a detriment and is no longer supported by the American Heart Association). I not only have confidence in the public health researchers at the University of Michigan and my alma mater Michigan State, for example, I feel blessed beyond compare that I live in a state where such institutions can exist and thrive. I feel the same way about the Johns Hopkins Center, their web site is a marvel of useful and helpful information. As well as the many professional groups I belong to that share "truths" amongst members so we can develop strategies to meet all kinds of situations arising out of real data coming out of the real world. For example, the spotted lanternfly is similar to this covid-19 virus in that it has the potential to decimate dozens of economic fruit crops. No one is questioning the validity or political agendas of folks reporting on its spread, nor on ideas for mitigation and control. That's the irony to me, I live in a state known for having more colleges than just about any other state, (we are number 9 for number of colleges) and yet folks want to refuse the good advice one can find here for FREE! Folks from all over the world come here to convene with some of the best brains on the planet! When it was just "their loss" I was fine with it. Now, when it is my own close family at risk and myself, not satisfied! I have also noted, that in my rural area, there is a movement to not only flaunt social distancing recommendations and rules, but also other laws regarding social conduct. For example, two weekends ago a gang of three wheelers rode up and down the streets in my neighborhood for quite a while, knowing full well that ORVs are not allowed on public roads. It was totally annoying because we were outside trying to enjoy the beauty and peace of our yard. It's happening on a regular basis now, folks going out and engaging in socially disruptive behavior, I guess either hoping to draw folks into conflicts or hoping no one will come out to stop them from the local neighborhood. My friend's husband is a policeman, and this is totally adding to their stress unnecessarily since they are not only having to police serious crimes, but respond to the health crisis as well. So they do not need to deal with things like folks setting off firecrackers, etc.which are totally avoidable. Regarding the three wheelers, eventually they got bored and moved on, but such things are happening on a regular basis in my neighborhood, gangs of trucks and motorcyclists driving around revving their motors, etc. And I'm not talking about groups gathering for socially distancing parties, which we had up the street from us. That was very clear what was going on as the cars all had "Happy Birthday" balloons decorating them. There are several cases of church communities being ravaged by the virus here in MI and some folks have lost MULTIPLE family members. We stopped going to church before it was cancelled, and we intend to keep on participating virtually. The biggest issue for me is how to continue to support local feeding efforts which our church was heavily involved in as volunteers. I am having to remind myself to regularly donate to the food pantry now online with money instead of food, and also not forget to regularly tithe at church....See MoreHow is your COVID-19 reopening going?
Comments (132)If Ohio's reported cases are declining in the metro areas, that's wonderful. In the mostly rural southern and southeastern counties that had only a few early cases, new cases seem to be on a slow increase. Vinton was the last to have no reported cases, then in the last weeks they've jumped to 16. That might reflect testing for someone's whole family, co-workers, a nursing home--I don't know the details--and I know that seems to be a small number compared to other areas. Kathsgrdn, I have been very impressed with KY's stats (as well as WV's). We have relatives in a KY county which borders the river, and one of my brothers works in WV, so I check their stats often. My father is ecstatic that the local Bob Evans is opening for inside dining tomorrow. I'm not so thrilled, since he is 83 and won't wear a mask or properly distance himself from others. ETA, here's our 21-day trend--unfortunately up almost 250 more cases than yesterday (484):...See MoreWhat color should I paint my door? fast move due to Covid
Comments (21)Definitely not pink or purple, unfortunately that would be a deal breaker for some people. Grand Canal seems to work with the siding, but I don't really like it. Really Teal is not quite right. I like the teal that you posted, similar to the Dartsmouth Green, would like to see that mock up. If you can't decide on a teal (or blue) quickly, go with black. Black sounds boring, but it isn't always. With your stone and house style I think it will make a statement....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years agoKathsgrdn thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Stories

LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS7 Landscape Pros on How COVID-19 Has Changed Their Business
Landscape designers and architects are seeing great demand for their services as they adjust to the pandemic
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS5 Landscape Pros on How Business Has Changed During COVID-19
Business is booming for many landscape construction and design firms, which have adapted to pandemic conditions
Full Story0

RESILIENCEWin Clients by Investing in Your Business During COVID-19
Design business consultant Enoch Sears shares tips for growing your business in the midst of a pandemic
Full Story0

INDUSTRY RESEARCHRemodeling and Design Firms Show Drop in Optimism Amid COVID-19
The Q2 Houzz Renovation Barometer shows a plunge in confidence as businesses face fallout from the pandemic
Full Story
7 Reasons to Boost Online Marketing During COVID-19
Don’t let your company go into lockdown too — use this time to push your online presence and engage with new customers
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEWhat We Need From Our Homes in the Age of COVID-19
As our homes increasingly become our refuges, find out how they can provide a better quality of life
Full Story
HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSHow to Design and Build Homes in the Age of COVID-19
As homes increasingly become refuges for many, we’re reevaluating how they should serve people’s needs
Full Story
MY HOUZZMy Houzz: Family Is Close at Hand in a 19th-Century Brisbane Cottage
An Australia couple’s updated home in the city’s leafy hills pays homage to residents past and present
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESThis Tiny, Gentle Bee Keeps Busy
Look closely for small sweat bees visiting your flowers throughout the growing season
Full Story
HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWS9 Architects Share What It’s Like Being a Woman in Architecture
For International Women’s Day, female architects around the world reflect on their careers and how the field has changed
Full Story
Embothrium