Any Updates on Your Families/Friends with Covid-19?

chisue

I've been wondering how patients are doing? (Hope sleeperblues will report on her BIL and SIL, along with others -- someone's DS, I think?)

SaveComment65Like
Comments (65)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I can't get news from my older sister about my nephew. She is stressed and I think her age is catching up with her. However, I saw a short report on the CBS network news about Covid patients released from the hospital and intensive care and the uphill battle they have at home trying to fully recover. Some are affected by having gone without oxygen too long at some point in their illness and the damage that caused can prove to be permanent. I was surprised that recovery at home can be so slow and perhaps limited. Some are never back to their normal. It was a very brief report, but I would love to learn more.

1 Like Save    
sjerin

Towards the beginning of nyc's battle with covid, a nyt journalist wrote of her husband's fight with the disease. I've always wondered how he ended up, but haven't been able to find anything about him. (That sounds stalker-ish! I just like to know "the rest of the story" when I read a well-written/interesting article.)

Save    
maifleur03

Sheilajoyce just do a search about the after affects of the virus. Some scientists and doctors are now stating that even mild cases are causing damage. BBC has had some interesting articles about it recently.

Save    
sleeperblues

Hi Sue, Thanks for asking. BIL still not doing well, but he was only hospitalized for a short time. He was told to go back to work, still testing positive. After one day at work he ended up back in the ER and was told his chest xray had not improved. SIL never had any symptoms, and actually had surgery last week. DH and I were flabbergasted. We would never do surgery on a covid positive patient, asymptomatic or not. It was a knee scope, totally elective. She seems to have done fine after the surgery.

Save    
chisue

sleeperblues -- Thanks for the reply. Um, knee scope? Too much burden on the joints? (You'd said they had weight problems.)

Why would you send a positive back to work?

Save    
breenthumb

Just got a text from friend that it doesn't look like her brother is going to make it. He chuckled on the phone about being diagnosed a week ago today. Steady decline all week.

Save    
Bookwoman

sjerin, the journalist is Jessica Lustig, and here's a tweet of hers that updates things: https://twitter.com/jessicalustig/status/1263985050011553795?s=19

Save    
sjerin

Thank you, Bookwoman!! One mystery solved for me, and I'm so glad he recovered. I'm guessing the author and their daughter remained covid-free due to their diligence.

Save    
matti5

My son and his fiancé tested positive 2 weeks ago. They had totally different symptoms. She had a fever, mild body aches and would getting winded easily, but no cough. My son had headaches and a rash. Both have fully recovered. She is an RN at a long term health care facility which had been in lockdown since March and covid free until 2 1/2 weeks ago. An asymptomatic aide gave it to a patient and now 85% of patients and staff have it. Several patients are in the hospital on ventilators. There have been three deaths.

Save    
jewels_ks

We are all doing well. It was all a very mild case for us. We are off of quarantine....finally! At first I was not going to get my 6 yr old niece tested but the county called and said since we all had it, that I had to get her tested. Her test took 8 days to get back and we got it back on our last day of quarantine. Her test came back negative. The nurse said that she probably had it, but at the time she did not have enough of the antigen in her body to be recognized. My dd and nephew took a rapid test, after quarantine, to see if they came up negative. They both did so my nephew flew home today and my dd can go back to the dentist. My husband is getting retested on Sunday so he can go back to work, my RN dd retested yesterday so she can go back to work. My sister asked if I would fly my niece home, but if I did that I would have to quarantine for another 14 days and I don't want to do that!

1 Like Save    
terilyn

My son, his fiancée and their daughter all seem to have recovered.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

For those who are fans of Love It or List It, Eric the contractor got covid, was on a ventilator, recovered and had to learn to walk again. But he seems to be doing well.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/hgtv-loveitorlistit-eric-eremita-covid-19-1202917934/

Save    
Lars

My brother in Texas and his wife just tested positive, and they are the first people I know who have it. My brother here told me that our sister gave him this news, but I haven't spoken with her. I don't really talk with my brother in Texas, but I do talk with my niece (his daughter). She might be able to give me more information.

I have a feeling that my SIL was not being cautious enough and perhaps my brother also did not want to wear a mask. The county (Bell) where they live has an infection rate of 408 per 100k population, which seems fairly low, but I expect that it will be going up.

Save    
Yayagal

Ty, I was missing him as he's such a good addition to that show. What an ordeal, poor man.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

When people post as if all that happens is either you have the virus and get well or die I think of the thousands that are left with medical problems after "recovering". Even those that seem to be doing well should have damaged tissues somewhere in their bodies.

2 Likes Save    
bob_cville

A friend had it back in April, and had two weeks of the sickest she has ever been. She is now seemingly completely recovered except perhaps for tiring more easily then she had.

An aunt and uncle of hers also had it more recently, with her uncle being sick enough that he had to be put on a respirator, after a couple of weeks he recovered enough that he could breathe on his own and was taken off the respirator, but never regained consciousness, and died a couple of days ago.

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

A relative of a relative passed away from it a couple weeks ago. I knew him. He was a wonderful fun loving man, worked at a prison in Ohio. His wife tested positive also but was only mildly ill. It becomes a lot more real when someone you know gets it.

1 Like Save    
NOWAY2Biden

I'm in the Houston area, where #'s are spiking but mortality rate is dropping. No one in my very large family or large group of friends has had it or has tested positive for it. And no one knows anyone that HAS had it or has tested positive. In my ZIP code, the incidence of positive cases is .00015877%. I have friends who are nurses and am told MANY beds are available in local hospitals. Yea, I know what the MSM is saying about my area.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Always nice when no one in your immediate family is sick but there are a lot of other people that live in any area. There are other sources besides MSM try AP or Reuters occasionally.

1 Like Save    
stacey_mb

Fortunately, none of our family or friends have Covid-19, as far as we are aware. However, I was sad to read that Canadian-born Broadway actor Nick Cordero has died after a long and difficult struggle with the disease. He leaves his wife and 1 year old son.

Save    
Ava

Stacey, oh no, I am saddened to hear this. After all he had been through, I hoped he would get better.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

I've been following Nick's story. I had never heard of him before. What a tragic ending. He really went through a lot and fought hard. I feel so bad for his wife and baby boy.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

"NOWAY2Biden

I'm in the Houston area, where #'s are spiking but mortality rate is dropping. No one in my very large family or large group of friends has had it or has tested positive for it. And no one knows anyone that HAS had it or has tested positive. In my ZIP code, the incidence of positive cases is .00015877%. I have friends who are nurses and am told MANY beds are available in local hospitals. Yea, I know what the MSM is saying about my area."

Similar experience. A couple of janitors at dh's work had it, but they were on different floors and dh was working from home. I know people in other states who have had it, but no one I know here has had it. Hopefully, that doesn't change any time soon.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

About a week or two ago we had a covid update for patients at work. No info anymore of number of employees and the patients had increased by quite a bit. The only person I know who has had it is a coworker. He thought he was going to die and went to his local hospital hoping they would admit him because he couldn't breath. They didn't and he is okay now.

Save    
breenthumb

Friends brother (in his 80s) who wasn't going to make it was sitting up today and had french toast and bacon for breakfast! Having good and bad days. Still in hospital.

Her GD had it bad early on. NYS health dept would show up daily to check that she was quarantined after test. Been back to work, ICU nurse, for a while.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

We did not know anyone who was positive. Until today! Two very good friends that are garden club members are sick and positive. I had made masks for them months ago. I was concerned about them because they were not very willing to wear masks and they were still running around all over the place. I am concerned about another lady I gave a mask to and she said it was all so silly and she just couldn't imagine wearing one. She was also running around with the 2 that are now sick. I called to check on her, she said that she was feeling very bad but definitely not covid! Um OK. Then I called the wonderful friend that we lived with after the flood while we were homeless. She had been taking care of the cat of the 2 that are sick. She thinks she has it. She is going to be tested tomorrow. I was just blown away! In one day suddenly so many people I know that are affected because of 2 people who wouldn't stay home.

And the 2 that are sick kept telling me that we should start having our meetings again in June and get together. I was the voice of reason and said no absolutely not! We have members in their late 90s no way was I going to let that happen. And I caught a lot grief from them about it. Well now I am so thankful I said no. I'm going to pray that they will be fine but none of them were in very good health before this.

Thank God we didn't mix with anyone! Actually when one of them came to get the mask (that was so silly) she thought she was coming in. Nope I put the washed mask in a sealed baggie on the front porch and spoke to her through the glass door. She was offended, I wasn't.

8 Likes Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

My sister emailed today that my nephew, whom I mentioned above, was not able to improve. He is in his mid 50s and still in the ICU on machines. His family was called to a meeting at the hospital today. She feared it was to pull the plug. He is in a San Antonio hospital, and we saw a story on Rachel Maddow's show yesterday about a Covid19 ICU ward at San Antonio Methodist Hospital where they had a need for a particular machine my nephew is on. They had 10 new patients needing it that day, but only 3 were available. I wonder if that is where nephew is. No word about what they learned at the meeting, but he is at death's door again and not expected to make it. She said he is suffering from infections that were triggered by the Covid19 and the damage those infections have done. My sister is in her 80s, and he has been at the hospital since May 12th, so she has not been able to see her son since before then. So sad. I do wonder how he contracted it.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

sheilajoyce, so sad -- if it comforts your sister's family to know that other people care, please let her know we are deeply saddened by this bad news.

Save    
sjerin

Good for you, Raven! It's easy to feel silly when others make fun of us for being careful. Stay strong.

Dh told me one of his co-workers has family in Chicago, who went to a family party a week ago. Yep, seven of his family now have the virus, including his elderly mother. That lady, after feeling sick, .....went to church!!! They shouldn't be open, imo. I'm sure he's sick with worry but cannot do a thing. I don't know whether they were wearing masks, but my guess would be no.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

NOWAY why post things from June or earlier in July when this is July 9? It may make things look better but the it tells nothing about current situation.

Edited to add that the ones that are dead may be the lucky ones if the virus leaves people impaired.

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

The last link was published July 7 & the second link was updated July 3. We're just coming off an extended holiday weekend. Data seems to always get skewed over holidays, offices are shut down & reporters take time off, too. Takes a few days for things to get back on an even keel.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I read the last one and had to wonder when a disease started to be an epidemic only when the death rate was above a certain number. NO other disease is treated in that manner. You can have a regional epidemic of headlice where no one dies but the CDC still calls it an epidemic.

Save    
lily316

I lost a dear friend to COVID in May. She was in a nursing home in New Jersey.

Save    
chisue

When I was in our local hospital July 4-5, I was in the ICU section. I asked staff how it had been for them when the covid-19 was rampant in the Chicago area this spring. They were swamped, rapidly converting ordinary beds to ICU, bringing in vents. There were many deaths. I saw two nurses in the ER who were still wearing the full regalia with pressurized suits. Of course, everyone was always masked. No visitors allowed in hospital. The strain, even now, is palpable. I'm so glad our governor was quick with lockdown. I hope we will go back to it as needed. I dread flu season this autumn. (Maybe it will be less due to masking?)

1 Like Save    
sjerin

Chisue, I heard a blurb about a lesser flu season this year, due to all the masking and distance from each other. Among most of us, that is. Seems to me it will be tough to differentiate between the two, without a test.

Save    
phoggie

My SIL’s 80 year old parents in California tested positive...both only had “mild cold like” symptoms...and getting better every day.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

My nephew is still alive. The San Antonio covid unit shown on Rachel Maddow's show is where he is. The doctors are working up a plan to remove a blood clot and that is the next hurdle. Thank goodness they were not meeting to discuss pulling the plug.

Save    
NOWAY2Biden

Another week has come and gone in the city that according to msm is at the brink of destruction. Yet, hospital beds are available and deaths are dropping radically. And we still don't know anyone who has it or has tested positive. Not nearly as catastrophic here as the news wants us to believe.

1 Like Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

Are you saying the figures we are given are untrue? I look under coronavirus and they are the same as the news is giving.

2 Likes Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

Thank goodness for the news--other wise we would go on our merry way not even knowing we have it. We sure aren't getting updated from the WH. So the doctors and nurses working in the ER are not telling the truth? I hope you are wearing a mask!!

2 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

About 3 weeks ago, my niece’s husband and their 7 month old baby boy tested positive for Covid. They are in Houston and both had very mild symptoms, similar to a cold, with Dad losing his sense of taste and smell. A few days later my niece (age 31) came down with terrible flu-like symptoms, fever and cough, etc, was tested and of course was positive. The pediatrician said the baby should have no ill effects, thankfully. Both my niece and the baby have been at home, she has been teleworking since late February and only out for walks and to go to the grocery alone. Her husband has been working as he is in commercial construction (mostly hospitals and hospital renovations) and that did not stop. All wear masks, so who knows. Pretty sure it traced to him as he was first.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

NOWAY and others should be more concerned about the residual affects of the virus rather than the deaths. The virus will be added to that list of things on the questionnaire that you are asked to complete when you go to the doctor. For many the damage will last their whole lives.

I am concerned if/when insurance companies can again deny coverage for preexisting conditions how many will be unable to have health coverage. I started working in that industry when a law was passed that insurance companies must cover health problems if a person had not had treatment for the problem for two years. Some considered any doctor's visit as reason to deny or cancel policies.

1 Like Save    
phoggie

Had a text today from a classmate saying that both she and her husband had Covid.,.a home care aide brought it to them. She is home recovering nicely but husband is recovering in the hospital because he recently had joint replacement... the reason for aide.

Save    
NOWAY2Biden

Thank goodness for the news--other wise we would go on our merry way not even knowing we have it. We sure aren't getting updated from the WH. So the doctors and nurses working in the ER are not telling the truth? I hope you are wearing a mask!!

~~~~~~

Yes, I have to wear a mask to be admitted ANYWHERE here in TX, unless I opt out and claim one of the 11 exemptions our governor allows. But I'm not going to push that. I've got 5 masks that I rotate, and each one gets washed in soap and disinfectant whenever I return from going out. I get my info from the Harris County website, and the Texas Medical Center website. I don't need to know about other states. The death rate in TX is .01049%. The death rate in TX from the seasonal flu was 3x higher at .03376% yet we didn't shut the state down for that. https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/IDCU/disease/influenza/surveillance/2019.aspx

Save    
nickel_kg

Yes, someday we might look back on this and laugh at all the unnecessary precautions we took. Or not. :-(

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Yes, I have to wear a mask to be admitted ANYWHERE here in TX, unless I opt out and claim one of the 11 exemptions our governor allows. But I'm not going to push that."

Don't let them push you around. Show your freedom, go out without one. Especially into crowds where others aren't wearing masks.

1 Like Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

If the virus is not that bad why are you required to wear a mask?

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

My nephew died from the effects of Covid19 last Friday in San Antonio. So sad. He leaves a wife and 3 boys and a devastated mother and family. He was such a nice man and a great youth sports coach of many years in his community.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Very sad news, sj.

Save    
maddielee

I’m sorry sheilajoyce.

Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

I am so sorry.

Save    
yeonassky

I'm so sorry Sheilajoyce. How heart-wrenching for you and your family. RIP to your nephew.

Save    
cooper8828

I'm so sorry sheilajoyce.

Save    
jtc

Sheilajoyce, my heart felt condolences on the passing of your nephew.

Save    
nickel_kg

Oh no. I'm so sorry for the loss of your nephew, Sheliajoyce. He will be widely missed in his community as well as his family.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I’m so sorry Sheilajoyce. Your nephew sounds like he had been a very active man who will be greatly missed.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

He took his Little League team to the Little League World Series, and wowed everyone who tuned in to watch it on TV. A really great guy.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

Sheilajoyce, my condolences on the loss of your nephew. Tragic news.

Save    
Dolly

Sheilajoyce, so sad to hear of the loss of your nephew.

Save    
sjerin

Oh, how sorry I am to read this--he fought so hard. You have my condolences.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I'm so sorry Sheilajoyce.

Save    
NOWAY2Biden

Heartfelt condolences

Save    
PattiG(rose)

Condolences on the loss of your nephew, Sheilajoyce.

1 Like Save    
chisue

sheilajoyce -- What an awful waste. Makes me angry on top of sad. My condolences to you and your family.

I cannot understand the sheer selfishness of people who can't be bothered to wear a mask because they think *they* 'don't have it'. Asymptomatic people with Covid are the worst spreaders. Every one of them adds to the odds that another person will sicken, further spread Covid, even die.

We don't even know yet what happens *later* to people with Covid who are currently asymptomatic.

Please, everyone: Mask. Wash. Observe physical distancing. (As Dr. Michael Osterholm says, it's not really 'social' distancing'. The KT is an example of continuing to be 'social', just without physical proximity that can be lethal.)

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World Houzz Tour: 1980s Home Updated for a Family’s Modern Lifestyle
An architect helps his sister and her sons make a fresh start in an English row house
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Family Is Close at Hand in a 19th-Century Brisbane Cottage
An Australia couple’s updated home in the city’s leafy hills pays homage to residents past and present
Full Story
Bedrooms Room of the Day: A Cheerful Family-Friendly Suite for Guests
The third floor of a 19th-century home gets a cottage-inspired makeover to become a cozy and calming space
Full Story
Craft Kitchen & Bath has a solid reputation in the home business with many years of experience. The company has a... Read More