Folding At Home Covid-19 Edition

John Liu

https://news.yahoo.com/2020-03-23-folding-at-home-adds-400000-in-coronavirus-fight.html

If you want to join our “team”:

- https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

- install and register: name (or whatever moniker you like) and team 247374, don’t need passcode

- set at “medium” and “run when idle”

Folding At Home is a collaborative effort that uses volunteers’ PCs to crunch data for medical research, currently focused on Covid-19. I’m running it on my PCs. The team (Folding Donkeys) is my friend’s team that I’ve joined. Doesn’t slow your computer (only works when you’re not using computer for something). If a laptop, want to leave it plugged in as much as possible (it won’t run if lid closed and laptop is sleeping). Bookmark the control page so you can find it easily. You can turn folding off from that page.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

Doing it......folding as we speak.

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

It is not common, but sometimes Folding@Home can cause some computers to overheat. This is because some operations are very CPU intensive.

Computer overheating can be scary to you. Your computer dies by itself while working. Actually there is no permanent damage. The computer is designed to shutoff if the CPU or the power supply overheats.

If that happens, make sure :

Laptops - the heat discharge vent is not blocked by objects on your desk.

Desktops - inside the computer, open the computer, you will be surprised how incredibly filthy it is. Take the PC outside and blow everything clean, especially the fan on top of the CPU and the power supply box. Wear a face mask while you are cleaning.

dcarch

Save    
John Liu

I used to do the SETI thing (PCs crunching radio telescope data looking for signs of extra terrestrial life). That was 20 years ago.

I had what I thought was a pretty hot rig then. Dual CPU, six SCSI drives, and a lot of memory - that probably meant 8 GB :-) - on a server board. I custom built that computer and loved it.

Wish I still had it to compare to my current PC.

I’m actually getting interested in building another custom PC.

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Ha! I still have my Apple II with dual floppy drive, working still. Made money doing financial spread sheet for small businesses using Visical.

dcarch

Save    
John Liu

I used a Newton all through business school but was a PC guy otherwise. When I got my first Mac, in early 2000s, I switched completely to Apple for personal use although my industry runs on PC so I’ve always used PCs for work. I got pretty close to Apple and got my firm to start buying AAPL in the portfolios around 2002, at one point we were the fifth largest shareholder. We still are a 90% Apple family, the only PC in the house is DS’s Thinkpad for architecture school. Now that I have my own tiny biz I still have to use PCs for work but can spec whatever I want, no more using low end business PCs. I have a Thinkstation P330 Xeon workstation as my desktop and a Thinkpad P1 mobile workstation as my notebook. Next year I’m thinking of upgrading to a P920 dual Xeon workstation and giving DS my current workstation for his architecture studies. I’m enjoying getting back into the PC world but still prefer Macs for home.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Moving Downsizing Help: How to Edit Your Belongings
Learn what to take and what to toss if you're moving to a smaller home
Full Story
Sheltering at Home 7 Things to Consider If You Find Yourself Working From Home
A Houzz contributor with over two decades of experience shares her tips on how to work from home during this uneasy time
Full Story
Sheltering at Home How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story