Just had the Covid test and now.....

eld6161

I have questions. I did this test because I had a stomach ache and was exhausted all day yesterday.

My DD is going to see her boyfriends' father this weekend. He is a chemo patient, and she said that although I did not have a fever, Covid can start as gastrointestinal.

I was lucky in that my local walk-in clinic (have been using them for over 20 years) was doing the rapid test as well as sending it to be tested. So, you get both.

She did the swabs in the parking lot. I heard nightmares about how high the swab is inserted and how it really hurts.

My doctor just swirled it around in both nostrils with the two swabs.

Really no big deal.

So my question is if you have had it, was the experience uncomfortable? And if so, I am wondering what is the proper procedure? Really deep so that it hurts, or is what my doctor did really enough?

My rapid test came back negative.

SaveComment55Like1
Comments (55)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stacey_mb

I just had a Covid test yesterday, a swab inserted into one nostril. It was inserted very deeply and I said, that's horrible! It was so uncomfortable that I started to pull away and was the most unpleasant test out of the three I've had so far. When I thought the first test was uncomfortable, the doctor said that then she knows she did it correctly. The second test was very gentle in comparison. First two tests were negative and I'm waiting for results from the most recent one. Fingers crossed for a negative result for you, Eld.

Save    
eld6161

Stacey, I mentioned above, that the rapid was negative.

Why is the reasoning for going up so high?

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

There are several different types of tests. Some go high because that was the older type but some of the newer ones only do the inside of the nostril. My personal choice when I need to have one would be the higher one. Some studies show that the virus can enter the brain at the very back where the sinus cavity touches the lining of the brain.

2 Likes Save    
pudgeder

I've had 1 test done, not the rapid.

They went pretty deep up my nose. The swab has to go pretty far back, because cells and fluids must be collected from along the entire passageway that connects the base of the
nose to the back of the throat to get a really good specimen. The smell of whatever was on the swab is what really bothered me.(don't
get me wrong, the brain scrape wasn't pleasant) It was such a sharp
chemical smell that was affected me most.

The results were back within 2 days? (Maybe 1) and were negative.

Save    
Jasdip

I got one done late summer. I had a headache for a week, that wouldn't go away, and I was feeling queasy. I went to a drive-through.

They gave me a questionnaire to fill out and the nurse said because I was experiencing symptoms they were going to do a deep cranial swab.

A swab inserted in one nostril up high, to my eyeball. It was quite uncomfortable and I was whining, lol and tearing up. But just one nostril needed to be done, so that was good.

Save    
marilyn_c

I was tested for flu one time.... because I had a sore throat, and they did the swab far up my nose. It was very unpleasant. I didn't have the flu or strep. Wish I had just stayed home.

Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

I had one. Quick and painless. (and I'm a baby).

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Does a negative result just mean you were negative at the time the sample was taken? Could you still test positive later...like the next day?

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

I'll be having one in about a week, in preparation for a colonoscopy. I wonder if I get a choice what kind to get? probably not. I'll be deep-isolating for a couple days before, and of course for the few days after the test, up to the procedure. I'm hoping/expecting 'negative' and want it to stay negative....

Save    
nhbaskets

I’ve had 3 tests over the past few months.

The first was done in a drive thru CVS where the person inside told me what to do while I sat in my car. Both nostrils, not far up. Tested negative received in 48 hours.

The second was done in a hospital ER before being admitted for a gallbladder attack. One nostril, up further than the self administered test enough that I gagged. Felt weird for maybe 5 minutes then was fine. Test results were negative received next day.

The third test was done in a drive thru testing site at our local hospital. Needed this before having my gallbladder removed. One nostril, same as second test in ER. Tested negative received in <24 hours.

Chloebud—negative test means you are negative at that point in time.

Nickel—Doubtful you will he asked what type of test you want. Hospitals have their own protocols. Having gone thought several colonoscopies and COVID-19 tests, the colonoscopy prep is by far worse than a COVID test.

5 Likes Save    
stacey_mb

Eld - I didn't have a choice in the type of test, unfortunately. But I do believe that yesterday's doctor was so thorough in his test that he also retrieved some of my brain cells! lol!

5 Likes Save    
1929Spanish-GW

I have not had a covid test, but after reading all these posts about testing I thought I'd share a story.

I had my nose done in the 90's. One of the things you don't think about is that if they work on a deviated septum like mine, they have to pack the cavity with treated "stuff" for swelling & infection. A week later they take it out. You feel like you just had a lobotomy - less about pain than pressure and discomfort. I can't imagine Covid testing could be any worse. But honestly, I'm enduring an uber-boring life right now in hopes that I never have to find out!

Stay healthy folks!

7 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

Yes you could be negative when you take the test, stop by the store catch it and be positive and ILL before you get your negative first test results!!

4 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

I had the 2 nostril test, very simple. My Dr. DD had to have the deep one, she didn't like it, but being a Dr. that is what she had to have!

Save    
chloebud

nhbaskets, thanks...that's what I thought.

Save    
Lala

My son had a rapid test a couple of days ago and said it felt like wasabi in his nose :(

1 Like Save    
share_oh

Several years ago I went to an ENT for some ear problems he couldn't figure out. One of his tests was to stick a long instrument up my nose so far it felt like he snipped off a piece of my brain! That was SO painful!

My dh had a covid test at CVS (negative thank God!) and said it wasn't bad. I was afraid maybe their results weren't that accurate but in the research I read it said they were pretty accurate because you shed the virus thru your nose so there should be particles there the test would pick up.

Save    
salonva

I still havent had a test- just stopping by to say glad your test was negative. (hoping the other one is too).

1 Like Save     Thanked by eld6161
chloebud

Doesn't seem having a negative result is very reassuring, unless you're getting tested all the time.

1 Like Save    
wildchild2x2

I am confused by the OP's comment she got tested because her DD told her it "might" be one symptom of Covid 19. If the DD is the one traveling it is she who should be tested before her visit to the vulnerable friend. If I got got tested every time I felt fatigued, had an upset stomach or a headache or a sniffle, I would have been tested dozens of times by now over these 7 months!

The only way I will get tested if my own doctor suspects I have Covid and wishes to confirm it or it is necessary before a medical procedure that could put those treating me and other patients in harms way.

This is not the first post I have seen here about what I would call anxiety testing for lack of a better term. Other benign illnesses have not gone away just because of the pandemic.

7 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I don't know wildchild while I think a lot is anxiety some is just being cautious. I think it may be also be lack of knowing what doctors can do at various stages. Some think there are treatments for the milder stages that the doctors will give you. I have always been a wait and allow my body to heal rather than heading for the doctor who will tell me bed rest and lots of fluids. If I had someone that depended on me I would error on the side of caution.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

So glad you are negative.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw

Getting tested isnt just for the person who thinks they might have Covid, it is important for those who they could pass it on to if they are indeed positive. Waiting is fine if you can isolate and are not possibly endangering someone else. Making people feel like they are being foolish for getting tested is probably not a good thing. Are we not where we are because people could not get tested?

3 Likes Save    
desertsteph

If I got got tested every time I felt fatigued, had an upset stomach or a headache or a sniffle, I would have been tested dozens of times by now over these 7 months!

when things were 1st coming out about it they listed I think 5 symptoms... my thought was 'well great! I normally have at least 3 of those!'

3 Likes Save    
jally

wildchild, thanks! Though i hope your doctor is one you trust thoroughly, as incorruptible. I wish everyone would please wake up to the smell of sulphur!! I get very upset every time i read/hear of yet more and more people getting tested, unwittingly and with the best of intentions giving in to an agenda, and making it all the harder for the rest of us in the near future, who may well turn out to be the "minority untested ones".

I fully expect to be labelled conspiratist (which term, lately, seems to be ubiquitous everywhere you turn ad nauseum, and which is why i have zero doubt that the world's billionaires have their shills tucked into every single nook of the www waiting to pounce on lone voices who cry foul!

The increasingly severe measures of current events are based not only on WHO ‘pandemic’ plans, but being modeled on Communist China where public health measures are enforced ruthlessly. Some infectious diseases experts in the U.S. calling for Chinese Communist measures to be implemented in the United States to control the people, are actually on the payroll of the Chinese Communist government. As recent arrests have exposed, not only are many US-born American scientists and professors receiving payments from China, but many have concealed their Chinese affiliation. Investigate who the experts really are, which entities fund their research and consulting, and what their training history and loyalties are.

The governor of New Jersey has already announced and implemented a statewide database to track testing results and is rolling out testing of health professionals, prison inmates etc. with intentions for frequent testing - conditioning the population to ‘know their COVID status.’ The governor announced on April 27, 2020, in “The Road Back: Restoring Economic Health Through Public Health”, “Principle 4: Secure Safe Places and Resources for Isolation and Quarantine: To the greatest extent possible, provide individuals who do test positive in the future with a safe and free place to isolate & protect others from COVID-19.” This means that people who test positive will be removed to a safe and free location, heaven forbid!

Quoting Michael Ryan of WHO:

“In most parts of the world, due to lockdown, most of the transmission that’s actually happening in many countries now is happening in the household, at family level...In some senses, transmission has been taken off the streets and pushed back into family units...Now, we need to go and look in families to find those people who may be sick and remove them and isolate them in a safe and dignified manner...”

Even pro-vaccination supporters are alarmed about the coronavirus vaccine which is being used with humans within months rather than after years of testing, using mRNA designed to affect human genetics. They're alarmed that these vaccines will be required to return to ‘normal’ life such as being able to buy food, attend schools, and work. One of the primary private sponsors of the WHO is promoting tattoos to track who has had the vaccine and is a ‘green person.’ Temperature-checks are conditioning people to expect to be ‘checked’ wherever they go, and are expected to soon be replaced with scanning tattoos. The vaccines and tattoo's are being enthusiastically funded by the same private funder.

Anticipated action against the 25% to 33% of the population that are predicted to refuse to take the COVID-19 vaccine, may look like this scenario. After months of lock-up (and with 'universal vaccines' presented as the only way out), the vaccinated will become desperate and enraged that the unvaccinated are prolonging the lockdown. Those that choose not to take the COVID-19 vaccine will be portrayed as “enemy of the people.” Enemy of the people” is terminology used in communist revolutions to identify all who do not agree with the revolutionaries and to stir up the ‘people’ against the independent thinkers, part of the divide and conquer strategy in play now where every group is pitted against others.

Compare that to contemporary Germany, where massive demonstrations against the public health restrictions openly identify the public health authorities as the comeback of fascism. Health care and public health systems is the means by which population control is implemented. For example, the limitations on the number of children in China are enforced through doctors and nurses - sterilization, forcible IUD implantation, forced abortions, and so forth.

Over the last 100 years, over 500,000,000 human lives have been eliminated at the hands of governments in control of the lives of people, often using medical means, doctors and nurses to carry this out. The deadly dangers of all powerful governments far exceed, by many multiples, the danger of any disease, including COVID-19 even if it were to be as dangerous as the worst speculation.

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

Over the last 100 years, over 500,000,000 human lives have been eliminated at the hands of governments in control of the lives of people, often using medical means, doctors and nurses to carry this out. The deadly dangers of all powerful governments far exceed, by many multiples, the danger of any disease, including COVID-19 even if it were to be as dangerous as the worst speculation.

Cite your sources please, Jally

2 Likes Save    
Judy Good

DH and I just got back from getting the test. Uncomfortable but not horrible. Made my eyes and nose water for a while afterwards.

Save    
sleeperblues

Wow

Save    
artemis_ma

Jally... how about some sources?

3 Likes Save    
maire_cate

Jally:

As others have requested - can you provide sources for your statements?

............"“Principle 4: Secure Safe Places and Resources for Isolation and
Quarantine: To the greatest extent possible, provide individuals who do
test positive in the future with a safe and free place to isolate &
protect others from COVID-19.” This means that people who test positive
will be removed to a safe and free location, heaven forbid!"

Since I live in NJ I'm curious about your interpretation of the Governor's statement. I think it's extreme - my brother works in Public Health and they're hoping to offer more at home care for those individuals who don't require hospitalization, plus information on how to isolate at home. The County Health Department is offering voluntary Covid testing (saliva test) this Monday here in my over 55 community and I fully intend to go.

I don't have any symptoms but if I happen to test positive I won't go anywhere - I'll remain at home which is a "safe and free place to isolate & protect others."

2 Likes Save    
jally

I cited it from a very credible online source who happens to be a high-level attorney with extensive medical background. I'm not stating his name, because his audience was not intended to be you guys. However, i found it online, just as anyone else can. Naturally, i know you won't consider this a credible response, but if you don't feel like doing the research necessary to prove that attorney wrong, that's your choice. And if i myself pick and choose whom i trust, that's my prerogative as well.

In fact, I'd consider myself traitorious if i'd divulge his name on this forum, especially given my experiences of censorship here. As well as some very callous types of remarks from many members to postings as simple as either grape hanging or whatever. Granted many members are also helpful and non-assuming, but it has been a very mixed bag of some very hard members, while others are nice. (A reflection of what this country has become in general)

1 Like Save    
jally

maire_cate, if your brother is part of public health, you might have less to worry about (just conjecturing). The authorities may not at first make it so obvious, but they might pick and choose whom they decide to target first.

Just so you know, that by posting as much as i did, i was to an extent sticking my neck out, especially given the censorious nature of this board. I didn't have to, especially knowing there can be rampant shills. I did so for the sake of truth, and for the sake of those who deep down sense that everything's not all its chalked up to be.

I'm not saying it will necessarily play out as per the above, especially if enough people are warned and don't go along with it. That still doesn't mean there weren't premeditated plots. Rather just that they weren't successful due to some miracles and/or the will of the people (which would in and of itself be a miracle, because "the people" might prefer to be in a stupor.

1 Like Save    
bpath

It is a little bit concerning that in some counties or states, Michigan the latest, restaurants are to collect the names and phone numbers of diners, for contact tracing. I'm not sure if there are measures to protect that information from other uses. But I do find it a bit off-putting.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Bpath,

They have been doing that here for months.

What worries you about it? What do you think they are going to do with your name and phone number?

If you think about it, you have no qualms giving the same or more info if you bought a raffle ticket.

Even better, remember the phone book? Name, phone number, address.

2 Likes Save    
Debby

I had the throat swab done once where I work as a co-worker was exposed (he was later found to have gotten it from his brother, who felt the need to go party with friends in another province during a pandemic knowing full well his father and brother work with the public and they all got it.....). Anyway.......... it just scratched the back of my throat and it took 5 days to get my results. I knew it would come back negative because I only worked with the guy for about 5 seconds (he was new and worked the shift after me). I only had the test done to make my co-workers feel better.

Save    
bpath

Hamilton, we have seen information misused before. That’s all. Those other examples are different. I get the contact tracing, it’s just, well, imagine it as a scene in a dystopian movie.

Not to fuel jally, but tattoos would not be necessary. Remember the smallpox vaccine? Did you see Outlander? It came into play as a way to kind of connect two people. But guess what? My kids did not have to get that vaccine and scar, because I and sooooooo many others worldwide did.

Hey, I’m just looking at things from both sides. I was exposed in close quarters to someone who subsequently tested positive, (we were both wearing masks and didn’t otherwise touch) so I am self-quarantining at home in a spare bedroom of sorts and exhorting DH to wash his hands after he takes my coffee cup to the dishwasher and to wipe the handle. This is going to get old fast, but it must be done.

Save    
maifleur03

Bpath restaurants for about 5 years because of the number of people who made multiple reservations especially on holidays have been asking for credit cards and telephone numbers to reserve the sitting. Doing that is no different than what you are stating Michigan and other areas are doing. Our mayor earlier this year asked churches to maintain a list of people who attended services. Some did, some did not. Initially the ones I know of used a book. For privacy reasons they switched to cards to be placed in a box to be kept if it was needed.

Save    
bpath

I suppose it’s not much different than signing a guest book at a visitation. But still, this is every single diner, and mandated by the government, not by the private entity. I totally understand it, and I would do it, I just have seen too many movies with “show me your papers”, you know? I’m not a conspiricist! I’m just switching lenses to look at this.

Save    
maifleur03

Apparently bpath you feel the same way about voting. Here at least you show some sort of ID and if it is the voting card or your state issued ID it is read by a scanner directly into a database.

Save    
bpath

Well, voting and going out for tacos are not the same thing at all. I haven’t eaten inside a restaurant since early March. Like I said, I get it, I would give that information (if our restaurants hadn’t just closed down again and if I felt comfortable even going inside). But it is a short hop to what they did in some European countries, where you could be asked for your permission slip to even be outside. Like I said, I get it! But I don’t have to like it.

2 Likes Save    
jally

bpath, i believe the attorney's citation may have been referring to something similar to the below URL. (see the pics, read about dissolvable microneedles. It's over my head, and i'm far from being a speed reader, so i didn't delve into it, but i absolutely believe the depths which some powerbrokers are capable of.

https://tottnews.com/2020/05/14/immunity-passports-vaccine-tracking/

Save    
nicole___

My husband and I just took the test Friday afternoon. Two electricians on the job site tested positive for COVID. He has to be tested to get back on the job site. I'm showing symptoms. I have a headache, just like the one I got hiking Pikes Peak, above timberline. Low blood oxygen is a symptom. If I breath deeply a few times, the headache goes away immediately. We have to wait 4 days for test results. We actually went to another clinic first, but they were out of quick-tests and charged $135 each!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

FWIW, I understand that the less invasive and rapid tests are less accurate as well.

And attitudes like those expressed above clearly contribute to the predicament our country is in wrt this pandemic. Contact tracing is 1 crucial element for controlling spread. Distrust of our own government has grown out of control, it seems.

Wishing you all the best, eld...

2 Likes Save    
seagrass_gw

When we were comfortable eating out this summer, DH was asked for his first name and a phone number at the restaurants we went to. We didn't have any reluctance giving that info - for our protection as far as we were concerned.

2 Likes Save    
mom2sulu

Just my two cents--dd had 8 of 11 symptoms and was miserable for a week in early Sept. (Fever, body aches, sore throat, nausea, headache, diarrhea, slight cough, loss of taste) The test was through Children's(so reputable), and it was way up the nasal cavity yet the results were negative. We have read a lot about the tests and you can have a possibility of a False Negative up to 30% depending on the timing of the test. Not saying that to scare anyone, but just to point out that if you have a plethora of symptoms, trust that you probably have it.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned yet, but E. Musk had 4 tests recently and two came back positive and two negative---all in the same day, same nurse, same type of test.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

mom2sulu.....My husband took 2 tests minutes apart. Different places, I'll be curious to see if the results are the same. ☺ I only took 1 test.

3 Likes Save    
eld6161

Nicole, why did your husband do that?

1 Like Save    
nicole___

eld....His boss said this place had a 15 minute quick test. So I waited in the car, he went in. An hour and 10 minutes later I'm still sitting in the car, listening to talk radio. I go in...I asked, "My husband is having a covid quick test. Where is he? " She says they're OUT OF QUICK TESTS. He's sitting back on an exam table. Everyone went to lunch. ☺ I go back there, ask "What R U Doing?" He says he paid $135, then got swabbed,,,,then they told him they were out of the quick test. I said, "You didn't ask for a quick test did you?" He said.....no. ☺

I said we're leaving. She told me it takes 7 days! Then we went where "I" told him to go.....typical....me being the pushy wife....and got FREE tests for BOTH of us, back in 3 days. He still hasn't gotton the test results back from the place he paid.

3 Likes Save    
jane__ny

Jally, why are you posting a link to a Australian website? What relevance does that have to do with the US? Who knows whether this site is some sort of conspiracy news site?

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered by having to prove I had a vaccine to return to the my work office. I would not agree to a tattoo, but showing some sort of paper showing I received the vaccine would be fine with me. You have to do that before traveling overseas. Big deal!

I'm old enough to remember polio, measles and other childhood virus which left so many children disabled. Friends in my neighborhood left paralyzed by polio.

What worries me more is that we have a President in the White House who refuses to concede to a a fair, legal election while so many are dying across the Country.

Jane

4 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

Neighbor across the street just had three days of THE WORST FLU ever. Got *19 tested at his first symptoms. He is still waiting for his results but is feeling much better now. He and wife are quarantined until that test comes back. Not everyone has testing situations that are helpful!!

Save    
jally

Jane, you can believe whatever you wish. And as to your "C" word, you may have missed what i earlier observed. (And what Gamble notes in his "intro to freedom portal". I.E. that labelling people with the "C" word is by now known to effectively shut further dialog.

arcy_gw, re: your neighbor, I know what works for me to mitigate flu - and btw, i suspect that Covid and Flu are mutually exclusive, but that's beyond the scope of this response. I really don't wish to delve into it here.

...Anyway, you're welcome to tell your flu-recovered neighbor that what works for me is multi-pronged, and yes, it truly works for me approx. 95% successfully.

• Covering forced-air vents in favor of oil-radiator
  • using G-Midifier & smearing tiger-balm at temples
  • minimizing EMFs & stress.
  • prescription Gabapentin
  • a high-lysine diet
  • starch, such as unsalted saltines, toast, French Toast
  • avoiding hot spices, not excluding raw onions/garlic
  • minimizing dehydrating sodium
  • minimizing citrus (unless as in honey-lemon tea)
  • see: https://www.drinkfiltered.com/posts/is-orange-juice-good-for-a-cold-and-sore-throat
  • increasing hydrating, creamy sweets (i.e. mint-patties, waxy-organic honey etc.
  • eating probiotic and creamy yogurts, Tofutti, Mayo, etc.
  • eating cooling kirbies, veggies, herbals etc.

...It's the process of logical deduction. I.E. when people have pneumonia (which often starts with flu), they're given "thickeners" to make mucus less mercurial. So it stands to reason that a "thickening" diet, is what helps flu. I personally find that both Gabapentin and high-lysine diet, tend to thicken (i.e. tame) my mucus, which becomes "mercurial" during flu.

• As part of the high-lysine diet, i also minimize hot spices, and sodium, since that's dehydrating.

Instead, i increase gooey, creamy, sweets.

Also great is:

• Celestial Cherry Berry Tea with waxy-organic honey
  • Bigelow French Vanilla Tea with liquid stevia
  • Bigelow Jasmine Tea ditto
  • Stash Licorice Tea
Save    
maifleur03

Sorry jally that you apparently think that what works for you will work for others. What you posted appear to be fringe treatments for a feel good feeling. Of course the xylitol is great for massive bowl movements in many people.

Save    
jally

You're all so very sweet. (Saccharin comes to mind) And such sweetness, causes truly massive BMs! Of course, if there'd be some variations of that sweetness (say, in the form of Agave perhaps?) That might be another story.

I.E. Xylitol's no good for Jane/John Doe? Try Agave, or whatever is tolerable.

Aside from that, can you truthfully say this is "fringe"? How many people do you know of who've unsuccessfully tried the above full regimen for flu? Also, why have I gotten by all these years without a single flu shot? So perhaps for me, the latter is fringe, and the former is mainstream?

What the heck, consider me retired from this thread, since i've had it up to the gills by now.

Save    
graywings123

when people have pneumonia (which often starts with flu), they're given
"thickeners" to make mucus less mercurial. So it stands to reason that a
"thickening" diet, is what helps flu. I personally find that both
Gabapentin and high-lysine diet, tend to thicken (i.e. tame) my mucus,
which becomes "mercurial" during flu.

I'm looking at this, jally, and wonder where you got the concept from - thickening mucus so as to tame it? Can you direct me to a source that would explain it?

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Don't bother.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Sweet Ideas and a Truffle Recipe from a Chocolatier's Test Kitchen
A $2,100 budget didn't mean a half-baked kitchen redo; this confectioner just rolled up her sleeves and rolled out the improvements
Full Story
See How TVs Are Passing the Designer Test
Better-looking televisions and electronics come out of the armoire, into the room's design
Full Story
Kitchen Workbook 8 Kitchen Amenities You'll Really Wish You Had
Keep kitchen mayhem and muck to a minimum with these terrific organizers and other time-saving, mess-preventing features
Full Story