SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Your Covid testing experience

IdaClaire
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

If you've been tested, what was your experience like? How long did you wait for results?
I'm testing today, as I've just learned of a potential exposure from about ten days ago. The likelihood of a positive based upon the exposure is relatively low, but I have upcoming plans that will put me in contact with others, so I need to know with certainty whether it's safe to proceed, or cancel.
I'm not ordinarily skeeved out by a number of medical procedures, but the very thought of a swab going waaaaay up inside my nose makes me anxious. Is it as bad as it sounds?

Comments (55)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm glad to hear that the CVS experience was good for someone. That's where I'm going, based on another good recommendation.

• User
    3 years ago

Very easy, drive through at a clinic after online check in, results in about 15 min while I waited.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Did anybody have to take a COVID test before a medical procedure?

Q

Comments (47)
    Hidden, Unless "Hiden" is your name, you have misspelled "hidden". Is there some political reason that you would not want to know if you have covid? I can't help but speculate that you objection is a political stance and not based in science or knowledge. Or, perhaps you have a fear of the swab test for some other reason? You won't receive any medical treatment in this country unless you take a covid test. It is more to protect others. It is your choice and the choice to deny it may not serve you well.
    ...See More

My Covid Experience

Q

Comments (22)
    What an experience, Jewels --- you must have been so scared, regardless of how mild your loved ones symptoms were. Best wishes for continued health for you and your family. As a survivor, are your health care providers telling you to keep up the same anti-virus measures as before, as in washing hands, keeping social distances, wearing face masks? (Just curious -- if it were me, I'd err way on the side of caution and keep up all those practices, until the scientists have this thing figured out up down and sideways!)
    ...See More

I got both Covid vaccines. Then today I got a Covid test.

Q

Comments (35)
    Arkansas Girl, weeks later? Do you remember where you heard that? When I experienced some fatigue four days after my second shot I looked up delayed reaction, and the only thing I found was a reference to four or five days, especially for those who reacted with a rash. In my case it would have been about two weeks, and then the reaction lasting over a week. That seems unlikely, but thanks for the thought. Debby, it started about two weeks after the second shot but it's still going on a week later.
    ...See More

I just tested myself for Covid

Q

Comments (18)
    Sjern, just have some nasal congestion/sneezing. I did retest Thursday before I ran some errands. Have to go out tomorrow or rather today, too. Negative again, so probably just allergies. I'm wearing my mask, though. I may do this from now on if I have any kind of respiratory illness. No one wants or needs the flu or anything else that I can pass on. My daughter is feeling better and so is my son. They both were really feeling bad a day or so ago. My son was covid negative but picked something up from some guy who drove him around base when he had to come back to the states for training last week.
    ...See More
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

CVS is also very popular here. DH used a health department drive up about a month ago because he was concerned the paralegal he interacts with most was exposed through her son and DIL who are in law enforcement. His results took only about 24 hours. I think hers at CVS took 2 days. They have been doing testing on our campus that is open to the community. They have testing Sunday and Monday this weekend, and then for the next several weekends. So, if we need to get a test, we might just go there.

If you go through CVS, you just have to swab your own nose.

IdaClaire thanked gsciencechick
  • arcy_gw
    3 years ago

10 past exposure, no symptoms they will take your test, charge the insurance company, not get to processing your test for at least 10 days. Tell us again why you are bothering??? They are soo busy processing tests of health workers and other vital tpeope, it would REALLY help if just because we are paranoid we didn't clog up their systems with tests for NO REASON.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

OMG Arcy - you are perpetually rude aren’t you - what a miserable existence your life must be.

IdaClaire thanked 3katz4me
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

I was tested last month, as my nurse practitioner thought that the cough I had was NOT from a med she prescribed, (which shows a side effect of coughing) but Covid. My city's Police and Fire Dept. have a convenient 'drive through' for testing. You sign up online in advance thru https://www.solvhealth.com/and get your appt. The swab didn't go do deep into your nose as I have also seen on the news, and it was quick and painless. I had my results via email in 4 days.

arcy_gw - Picture a person that you love and care about very much. Now picture that person at a gathering of friends, none of whom know they are carrying the Covid virus. A few days later, your friend feels very sick, ignores it because where you live it appears that ONLY health workers and vital people are entitled to get tested. Within a week, you hear that the person you care about is on a ventilator with Covid, and the family is told to gather quickly because he/she isn't going to make it.

So, because your friend is not a 'health worker' or a 'vital person', they die. Do you tell their family it's because he/she wasn't vital, so it's OK?

IdaClaire thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

OMG Arcy - you are perpetually rude aren’t you

She wrote the book.

IdaClaire thanked Bunny
  • localeater
    3 years ago

Ida, I havent been tested, but my son had to be tested 2x before returning to campus in August and since then gets tested 2x/week. Even after the first time he said it was no big deal and he didnt understand the hype.

Caveat -he is type 1 diabetic and inured to needles and stuff.

IdaClaire thanked localeater
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm not even responding to the hopelessly horrible troll in our midst.

I greatly appreciate the input and encouragement of those whose opinions matter. Thanks to all of you who fall into that category.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I was tested twice. Once at a drive through event at our local fair grounds. It was in conjunction with our state's Dept. of Health and the Army National Guard. It was in one of the barns, we were handed our paperwork before we drove in, the guard officer in full PPE took the swab through the window, and we drove out. We got tested due to me having continual sinus issues (as I mentioned here) as a precaution since I am around my 88 year old dad who has 3 underlying conditions. Hubs and I both got tested and he did too. They did not notify us of anything, but after a week we called them and were given instructions for logging into a Web site to check our results. We were told that if it was positive we would have been notified, but that's not very comforting, folks fall through the cracks. This was in early May, so things have changed.

Still no testing sites locally for the average citizen who might have been exposed, but we had another one of those fairground drive thrus last week. We didn't go because no indications we would need to, we haven't been around many people and none without social distancing and masks.

In August my husband went to another state (same infection rate as ours) to visit his son and grandchildren. One grandchild hangs around people who are at risk for exposure. We really didn't have a way for him to totally quarantine upon returning but we did the best we could. Found out from our local health department that the nearest site for FREE testing was the big city 45 min. away, at Rite Aide. Hubs drove up there, got the test (he drove up, they came out to his car and he took his own swab this time) and got the results three days later. They wanted him to participate in a long term covid study but he said no. He would have had to have had blood drawn. They paid you, but not much, $50.00.

The swab is uncomfortable, but I've had them taken before for other things, in the doctor's office, it's a pretty standard procedure and it's no worse than some of the other routine tests I have to go through, like a thryroid blood test every six months, pap smear, etc. Much easier than any of those and over quickly. Not traumatizing for me, a nothingburger as far as I was concerned. Over and done.

IdaClaire thanked l pinkmountain
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

I went to a State of Virginia drive-through testing event at a church. I was swabbed on 9/30 and had the results on 10/3, so 3 days. The swab was painful but over quickly. As expected, I was negative.

IdaClaire thanked graywings123
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok. I can handle nothingburgers like a champ. 😁

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

My friend works on a college campus where they must be tested at least monthly, regardless of symptoms. Our campus is encouraging people to be tested because of asymptomatic spread.

IdaClaire thanked gsciencechick
  • jb1586
    3 years ago

I have had a Covid test twice, in recent months. Each one had to be done 48 hours prior to surgery. Thankfully, both were negative. The first one was unpleasant, but not uncomfortable. The second one was a bit more uncomfortable. I think it all depends on the practitioner giving you the test.The results for both came back within 24 hours.

IdaClaire thanked jb1586
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Things I deem as "nothingburgers" are things or issues or even ideas that the cost of eating them (paying time, attention and expending energy on them) has no return. So yes, it was uncomfortable for about ten seconds but I'm not sure the value of even mentioning it, it didn't stick with me, zero calories!!

IdaClaire thanked l pinkmountain
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

BTW, I wasn't tested when I was in the hospital last month! I thought for sure they would test me.

• User
    3 years ago

I got tested at an Urgent Care. I barely felt the swab being inserted. I got the results in 15 minutes. Good luck, Ida!

IdaClaire thanked User
  • rubyclaire
    3 years ago

I was tested in August at our local health department and it was uncomfortable but over quickly and results in 48 hours. If I needed or wanted to be tested again, I would definitely look into the CVS option as I'm sure it would be more comfortable as I doubt (as in absolutley no way) I would go as far up there. Are those self-administered tests considered as reliable? Or reasonably so?

IdaClaire thanked rubyclaire
  • jb1586
    3 years ago

The tests that don’t hurt as much, and the results are back within the day, are not the more accurate PCR tests. Those take at least 24 hours to come back, but they are far more accurate. Just as an aside.

IdaClaire thanked jb1586
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

^^^ Yes, that's correct. If I knew that I had been exposed I would definitely want to get a PCR test.

I have had the quick antigen test done twice, but I did it for extra piece of mind before visiting my mother. I had not had any Covid exposure that I knew of, I keep my distance and always wear a mask when I go to the store, and had no symptoms of any kind.

IdaClaire thanked terezosa / terriks
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    3 years ago

As someone that tests people, it is interesting to see their responses. Yes I joke with my patients that I'm going to touch their brain but I stop just short of that! It is difficult to advance the swab due to some peoples nasal septum and they flinch and it probably is uncomfortable. I am testing women in labor or being induced and very rarely do they think it is an big deal. It's the same as a flu swab if you have had that done. We get results in 12 hours so I think result time depends on who results it and post the results.

One of my coworkers is testing college athletes in town. She is doing a Point of Care test that only is inserted 1 -2 inches and results in 15 minutes.

IdaClaire thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • nini804
    3 years ago

My 17 yo dd had a test in May bc she had a fever. Our pediatrician had us take her to a drive up testing site, where they swab you through the window. She was *quite* surprised by the swab, lol, but said it was so quick it didn’t really hurt, just brief discomfort. She was negative (it was strep🙄.)

Ds had a test before leaving to go back to college, and is tested at least weekly there. He said it is no big deal at all.

Hope your test is easy and negative!

IdaClaire thanked nini804
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Piece of cake. I drove through one of the CVS pharmacy lanes dedicated to testing and was done in probably 10 minutes, including the verification process. The employee inside called my cell ("broadcast" with my Bluetooth) and walked me through the whole procedure with easy to follow instructions. The swab was much thinner than I expected, and not too bad as I swabbed both nostrils myself. I would call it a momentary discomfort that left me feeling a bit like I had a sneeze coming on immediately after.

Should take 2 to 3 days for results.

There were two people ahead of me in line when I arrived who were also testing, so CVS appears to be doing a brisk business. It is by appointment only there.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

"not get to processing your test for at least 10 days" That is absolutely not true.

My 90 year old father has had the test several times as he has been in the hospital twice during the Pandemic. Between that, rehab and moving to a new AL facility, it's been several tests as many medical facilities require a negative covid test. He's really not had much to say about the tests.

IdaClaire thanked Tina Marie
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Don't bother explaining to her, Tina. She's not interested in facts, but she will use any discussion even remotely pertaining to Covid to rant at others. That she insolently questions my personal medical decision speaks volumes. She just hasn't a clue what she's talking about, but she doesn't let that stop her.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Ida, I hope and pray you get good results. ❤️

In the meantime, I think you should post a or some cat pictures. I’m serious! I miss Ida kitties.

IdaClaire thanked Jilly
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would you settle for a sweet photo my colleague sent me of a mama cat and kitten that she's fostering? This melts me.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We don't have that sweetness going on around here lately. We have this.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Thank you!

Oh my goodness! The ear biting! I’m dying! 😄 😆😂

And awww ... mama and baby fostering. ❤️

IdaClaire thanked Jilly
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

This is good: drooling, sleeping Tabby, drooling, sleeping husband .... and your rug in the background. They were both snoring so loud, I couldn’t tell them apart. You see NOC gets the bigger sofa. 😆

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL! They both look purrfectly content! Love the slightly open mouth on NOC! (Oh, and the rug still looks great!)

• Jilly
    3 years ago

What is it about Tabbies?! This boy — out of four other types of cats — runs our house! They’re seriously the most human-like cats I’ve ever known. I swear he knows everything I say!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

After reading here and hearing from those tested it seems to run the gambit. Maybe it also depends on who is doing the testing?

IdaClaire thanked eld6161
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I have not had a test (no reason to, thankfully), but I just wanted to wish you well, Ida. And everyone else here too.

My DD has been tested twice after potential exposure in the ER where she works as a Nurse Practitioner. Both of these times it was fairly early in the pandemic. Both times she was negative. She advises to not get the fast test if at all possible because the results are not as accurate. Apparently you can get false negatives, which is almost worse in my view than getting a false positive. Most results around here are available in 24-36 hours.

I also noted in something I read that you should not tilt your head back for the nasal swab. It is an unnatural position for the sinus cavity and the swab could actually do minor sinus damage if it goes in too deep.

IdaClaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Although I'm a 'dog mom' the kitty (and hubby!) pics have MADE MY DAY! Thank-you very much, Ladies.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    3 years ago

Both of my DS's had the tests done because it was mandatory. Older DS because he was exposed at work and had to have a negative to return to work and younger DS because his friend on his HS soccer team was positive and all other players were required to test negative before practices resumed.

Instead of blaming everyday people for clogging up the system maybe blame the people at the top for having a lousy system (or really no "system" at all).

IdaClaire thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • OllieJane
    3 years ago

I got a call from my DS school the night before, telling us a friend of my DS was positive and my DS had lunch with him a couple of days before. They suggested my DS get tested the next day.

My DS and I went to a drive through lab in town. There was a technician on each side of the car who put swab WAY UP our noses. We both got *positive* emailed results about 6 hours later.

IdaClaire thanked OllieJane
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

olliesmom, wishing for a speedy recovery for both of you.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

Thanks gscience, I was the only one that was really down for awhile but I have fully recovered. My DH didn’t get tested but he got it too With very mild symptoms. He and I both lost our taste and smell. Our DS was asymptomatic.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Olliesmom, how long ago was this? I think I remember you posting it on another thread.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

I tested positive on Sept 14th I think it was.

• LucyStar1
    3 years ago

I've had to take two Covid tests. Both were done prior to cataract surgery. They were both done at a drive-through facility owned by a hospital. For the first test, I waited in line in my car for 45 minutes. For the second test, I waited in my car in line for an hour and a half. I'm in Connecticut which is a low coronavirus state. I thought the wait time was ridiculous. I had to go to one of the testing sites owned by the hospital because the surgery center where I had my cataract surgery was also owned by the hospital and they wanted to make sure that they got my test results in time prior to surgery. I did get the test results in three days. They swabbed both nostrils and it wasn't bad. But, as I said, I thought the time I had to wait in line was ridiculous, and I had appointments for both tests.

IdaClaire thanked LucyStar1
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

Based on my town‘s FB page, where people seem to ask about covid testing at least once a week, there is HUGE variability in testing in terms of which places are doing it, whether or not they take appts., how long results take, etc...it seems that whatever is accurate today — in terms of where to get tested and how long results take — may not be accurate two days from now. I have not been tested yet but prior to travel in July, DH was required to get tested within 3 days of departure. He was in a mild panic thinking results may not come back in time, so he got tested twice, at two different locations. Both PCR tests, as that was the requirement for this trip. From one place, he received results in 8 hours. From the other — 11 days later!! So crazy.

IdaClaire thanked Sueb20
  • czarinalex
    3 years ago

My dh and I were tested at the end of June. It took 2 full weeks to get the results. More recently, my dh has been tested every week for the past month. Those results have taken 3 days to receive. Same location, drive by testing in our local Walmart parking lot. They test 1 morning every week. Easy to register, only identifying data is name, dob and email address. No insurance information needed. I assume they are reimbursed by the feds.

My MIL is 95 residing in assisted living. She is very mobile and social. Like others, the months have passed with no visitors at all. My dh has been pressing management for visitation rights. Finally they offered an 'essential caregiver' option. He filled out some paperwork and as long as he provides a negative test within 3 days, he can visit in her apartment for up to 3 hours a week. His sister does the same. It's been a blessing for his mom.

IdaClaire thanked czarinalex
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

The whole family tested at one of those walk-in spots that kept texting me to offer free tests. Initially, we needed tests to go to our Maine house (later dropped for those coming from states like ours that had low rates). We tested outside in our convertible, LOL. We got online results in about 3 days. I felt bad about "using" up tests that are in limited supply but that doesn't seem to be an issue locally here.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

I had a follow up doctor's appointment yesterday and as part of my blood work I asked for Covid-19 antibody test. NEGATIVE, so whatever I had in February was not it, or whatever immunity I had is gone.

And great news, my total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol dropped like a rock. No other effects on kidney or liver values. I'll need to hear back from him when he wants to see me next.

• cmm1964
    3 years ago

Gs please share some tips on reducing cholesterol levels. Mine just came back high. I exercise most days of the week. I am very thin so I have been always able to eat what I want so those days may be numbered. I am 56 so I think this may be a sign of the times for me though! My cholesterol was at 202 so not super high but concerning it’s an upward trend.

• Peppapoodle
    3 years ago

Glad you were negative, Ida!

I will say I don’t truly trust the reliability of the tests, maybe more so for the rapid tests in the early stages. My DS tested neg, but lost his sense of smell- one of the symptoms, esp for the younger people. Friends daughter was around someone that tested positive. Friday she was negative & Monday, she tested positive.

Also know of someone that had 3 tests following a positive result. 1 negative 1 positive 1 inconclusive. She quarantined to be safe.

As many people that I’ve been around for work- I can’t believe I haven’t had it. Of course, I’m in a mask/gloves/sanitize/wash hands. But I’m in and out of hospitals & drs offices all day in close proximity of my patients.

So ready for this to be over!! I haven’t worn lipstick in months!!!

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

cmm1964, It's very hard because with age our numbers get worse post-menopause. We lost the protective effects of estrogen. I am 57, born in 1963.

I had to start a low-dose statin because of my TIA last month, so that was the major thing for me. Other things to do:

Lose weight (my #1 thing)

Exercise to boost HDL (I already do that, so that's a little disconcerting)

Track saturated fats and eat less red meat and cheese and more Mediterranean type of diet

Eat more plants

ETA to add, what is your HDL? If your HDL is over 60 mg/dL, that is less risk.