SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_33705873

COVID project - Dealing with moms things

JJ
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I haven't been around for a while. Our custom home was completed in 2015 and I eventually moved on from Houzz to other things.
Lately I've been working on a series of COVID projects around the house. It got me to thinking about some of the flaws in my home's design and, as 5 years have passed, thinking about having these flaws fixed. So I came back here looking for inspiration and have been hanging out for a couple weeks now.
But for today, I have been working on sorting the remainder of my mother's "things."
She was an artist, a crafter, a collector. She had many interests and had a lot of stuff. My dad had died 10 years before, and she had done virtually nothing to whittle down her collections. Long story short, my sister and I did what we could given the time, and to my mind we sorted and divided pretty well. I think the ratio was about one quarter in the trash, one quarter to donate, and one quarter each my sister and I kept. But the sheer volume of stuff was daunting and mistakes were made.
The situation now is I have one closet full of boxes left to deal with. She has been gone 13 years. Her paintings that I really enjoy are already hanging in my home. The most valuable art objects already displayed. Not all but some of the stuff in this closet I have already looked through and decided to keep in storage. While I don't mind stuff in closets, I do mind stuffed closets. And I just want this guest room closet cleaned out.
I went through this a couple weeks back with the garage. We bought shelving, cabinets, etc. It was a fun project, but we didn't really reduce volume very much. The garage looks great, but there is about as much stuff in it now as before. And I had wanted to reduce the amount of stuff.
I also want to keep some space open for some stuff that my husband and I come across together. We have bought precious little in 20 some years because I always knew I would eventually come by this tsunami of stuff. But it is, in a way, unfair to him - not that he cares really one way or the other.
I really feel uncomfortable getting rid of anything more. How do you all deal with situations like this? I feel like I really need some direction.

Comments (68)