SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skmom

people brought their dog to my house showing!?!

3 years ago

Do y’all think this is normal behavior? My house is newly on the market and we had another showing today. We have some simply safe cameras and we saw that the realtor (not our realtor) and the couple who came to look at our house brought their dog with them. Hubby and I were appalled! To their credit, from what we could see, they held the dog the whole time. I hope. Now, we don’t dislike dogs or anything, but some of our kids have severe allergies! We didn’t even THINK to tell our realtor “hey, no dogs allowed in our house during open houses or showings,” because it never occurred to us that someone would do something like that. Who does that!?!? Anyways, we sent a text to our realtor and conveyed that in the future we have a zero tolerance policy on animals or smoking in our home (because we’d better cover that base too!) due to severe allergies in our family. (And please, I’m aware there are supposed hypo-allergenic dogs out there, but when someone is allergic to the saliva it doesn’t matter. We’ve seen our daughter react to dried saliva too... so all a dog has to do is sneeze on our stairwell handrail and it’s an allergic reaction waiting to happen.) Now, I suppose we got a little complacent... our most allergic daughter recently got married and moved out of our house, so it’s not like she’s a clueless 5 year old anymore. But our home has always remained a safe haven for her, even as an adult... we don’t have animals because of the severity of her allergies. Even though hubby and I grew up with dogs and cats as part of our families... we understand that emotion and bond... but our childrens’ health became more important than animals to us once we discovered the severity. But, I dunno... even if I had animals in my house, I would be like “what the heck!?” if some stranger showed up with their dog without asking first??? Is that a normal thing for realtors to allow clients to bring their dogs with them to showings without asking permission for that first?

Comments (77)