What is your favorite Fall dessert, besides pumpkin pie.

caflowerluver

At this time of year I start craving gingerbread cake made with molasses. I am making some today or tomorrow. I usually serve it with whipped cream or lemon curd. My dad liked it served with hard sauce. Now that, hard sauce, is something you don't see anymore.

Here is a recipe I found online.

Gingerbread cake

SaveComment20Like1
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Love cake style gingerbread! I crave it year round 😊

I've been experimenting with pumpkin desserts, but so far made one - a BH&G recipe for 'bars', that came out more like a rich cake. I'm thinking of adding ginger, because the spices in it were just cinnamon and a little cloves, and I thought it seemed too bland.

And good old apple crisps and pies are very autumnal to me.

Pears are in season now as well - I like to make fruit crisps and pies using both together.

Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Cheese cake is #1 for me year round followed by ice cream.

1 Like Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
Lala

I make a pumpkin dessert in a 9 x 12 that is heavenly while still warm with whipped cream on top. It's so easy to make and great for large crowds.

I also make a cranberry coffee cake in a bundt pan. It takes longer to put together because it's layered.

I bought some soft top pumpkin cookies from Publix last week. They didn't last long :)

seagrass_gw

I love bread pudding with a hard sauce. That's a restaurant treat for me - I've never made one.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Chopped fresh apple cake with cream cheese frosting. Or apple anything :-) I am also partial to mincemeat pies but more for the holidays than just fall.

chloebud

Yes, apple desserts are always great. I also like the cranberry upside down cake I've posted before. I have a recipe for caramel crumb bars I tend to make in the Fall, though they're good year round.

Also, I can pretty much promise these don't disappoint. They freeze great, too.

Pumpkin Bars

Note: If desired, the recipe can be very easily halved. A 9x13x1 sheet pan (quarter sheet) works perfectly. The baking time will be about the same...start checking at 20 minutes.

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temp.
2 cups canned pumpkin (one 15-oz. can)
4 eggs, room temp.
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 15 X 10 1/2 X 1 pan. Sift flour, baking soda, spices, and salt together; set aside. Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add pumpkin and eggs; beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Spread mixture into pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched or toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with your favorite cream cheese icing.

Addison in VT z4a

Hot fresh apple cider and donuts!

plllog

Seagrass, bread pudding is easy to make. It's basically dry bread and custard. One of my favorites for cold weather desserts. People really like brioche/challah/panettone, but any bread will work if it isn't very sour. I think you said you don't keep bread in the house, but you could buy a loaf if you wanted to make pudding. Slice it thickly, and make into cubes, or dry it completely and grate it for the more solid kind. You can also tear or cut regular sliced bread, or leave it as is and make bread and butter pudding. Add any flavorings you like to the custard (1-2 large eggs per cup of milk, depending on whom you ask). Mix lumpy things (nuts, fruit, etc.) with the bread in the pan, making sure they're well distributed and not all on the bottom. Pour the custard on. Optionally top with crumbs or streusel, and more of what you mixed in. Bake like any casserole. Hard sauce is easy too.

My favorite Fall sweet, though it's really an any time but goes with the harvest, is Mom's apple pie. Low sugar, sliced apples, double crust.

bragu_DSM 5

we like banished FN butter lady's pumpkin gooey

Toby

Apple crisp in individual ramekins with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I use a flour, brown sugar, and butter crumb topping. Never liked the oatmeal version because it's too heavy. It's basically just oatmeal cookie dough.

Jinx

Pecan pie, cherry pineapple dump cake, pumpkin bread loaves .... and no matter what time of year, homemade Southern banana pudding. :)

Nana H

This is a Fall favourite of ours, our pear season is fairly short. I must admit I usually save for company but company is a rare thing these days so I think I'll make it Sunday with herb crusted roast pork.....why not!

Pears In Port With Stilton Whipped Cream

Servings

1/4 Cup crumbled Stilton or any good blue cheese

1/2 Cup plus 2 Tbsp whipping cream

4 ripe but firm pears

1/4 Cup butter

1/4 Cup sugar

1 Cup tawny port

With a fork mash cheese with 2TBSp of the whipping cream, don't make a paste you want small but visible pieces.. Beat remaining cream until soft peaks form. Fold the cheese mixture into the whipped cream. The cream should be stiff with cheese pieces visible. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Wash pears but do not peel. Slice in 4 slices lengthwise (slicing around the pod) . Melt the butter in a saucepan and saute pears until lightly browned on both sides. Remove pears and keep warm.

Add sugar and port to the pan. Stir and dissolve the sugar, losen the brown bits, bring to a boil. Reduce to a caramel sauce ( be careful the port could ignite!)

Return pears to the pan , coat with the caramel. Serve warm with a dollop of the stilton whipped cream!

Note: the pears can be made ahead and reheated in a 350 oven for 10 minutes, turning once.

localeater

Pear frangipane tart, oh my so good

beesneeds

A nice cheese plate. 2-4 kinds of cheese, some nuts, and maybe a sliced up apple. Pomegranate seeds if I got them in the house. A bit of dried fruit and dark chocolate sometimes.

sushipup1

Hate hate hate pumpkin pie or anything pumpkin spice. (Well, I'll have a 1/2" sliver of pie once a year and am reminded of how much I dislike it.)

We simply don't do desserts here with the exception of a very special event, maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

All time favorite dessert is fresh strawberry shortcake.

Jinx

Look what ad showed up on my Facebook today. Hmm.

It does sound good, though:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooked-pumpkin-apple-cobbler/?trkid=soc-toh-facebook&fbclid=IwAR1rZyIV1n6A0VSONYkRoBJM2kFqqwh-svtTFYDlzGxtjUqGEV8TpHQ5M-c

Slow-Cooked Pumpkin Apple Cobbler

• 5 cups sliced peeled tart apple (about 4 medium)
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar, divided
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Chopped pecans, optional
  • Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
  • In a 4- or 5-qt. greased slow cooker, combine apples, cranberries, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla.
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon; beat into pumpkin mixture.
  • Spread over apple mixture. If desired, sprinkle with pecans. Cook, covered, on high until bubbling around edges and cake is set, about 4 hours. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

1 serving: 407 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.Nutrition Facts

Lars

Torta di mele, which I make when we have a lot of ripe apples. I also like pecan pie, but I only made that when I lived in Texas.

Marilyn_Sue

Apple pie, if made well.

Sue

annie1992

I'm not a big fan of apples, but I love pears. My favorite dessert of all time is this Pear Maple Cobbler from Epicurious. I don't usually make individual cobblers, I just make it in a 9 inch square glass baking dish because that's what I have. I usually skip the whipped cream too, because my family likes it warm with vanilla bean ice cream. Homemade if they can get it!

PEAR MAPLE COBBLER

Filling

3 pounds ripe Barlett pears, peeled, quartered, cored

2/3 cup pure maple syrup

1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon (generous) ground nutmeg

1 1/2 tablespoons butter

Topping

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

9 tablespoons half and half

9 tablespoons pure maple syrup

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melted butter

Sugar

Ground nutmeg

1 cup chilled whipping cream

Additional pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut pears crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine in large bowl with maple syrup, flour, vanilla extract and ground nutmeg. Divide among six 2/3-cup custard cups of soufflé dishes. Dot tops with butter. Bake filling until hot and bubbling, about 18 minutes.

Meanwhile, Prepare Topping:

Mix first 3 ingredients in processor. Add 6 tablespoons chilled butter and cut in until mixture resembles fine meal. Transfer to large bowl. Mix half and half, 6 tablespoons syrup and vanilla in another bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Working quickly, drop batter in three mounds, 1 heaping tablespoon per mound, atop hot filling in each cup. Brush topping with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg. Immediately return cups to oven and bake 8 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375°F. and bake until toppings are golden and just firm to touch, about 14 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes.

In medium bowl, beat 1 cup chilled cream with 3 tablespoons maple syrup to soft peaks. Serve cobblers warm with whipped cream. Drizzle additional maple syrup over.

Second on my list would be a Pumpkin Roll, I'm not a big fan of pie crust, although I love filling. My pies are always deep dish, LOL. Grandma used to bake pumpkin pie filling for me in a custard cup, so everyone else got pie but I didn't have to pick apart the crust...

Annie

caflowerluver

Annie - wish I had that pear recipe a month or so when all my pears were coming in. Sounds yummy. There is always next year.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Fall Entertaining Favorites
Make autumn feasts a piece of cake with chic compostable plates, pretty glasses, pie accessories and more
Full Story
Orange Treat Your Rooms to Pumpkin Pie Orange
Stir some pumpkin colors into your interiors for design deliciousness that lasts well beyond Thanksgiving
Full Story
MW Construction performs all types of construction from design-build to general contracting to construction... Read More