SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Plastic Fixtures to Connect Two Facing Storage Shelves?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

In the web hosting business, when you connect two facing vertical racks of equipment, you connect these racks to each other by using a metal "ladder rack" (aka "cable runway"). These look like a tall ladder with rungs, and they are secured by metal hooks on either side. The photo below gives some rough idea of how these are used. These racks do much more than just give you a way to run cables. They add structural stability to the installation, by tying each piece of infrastructure together and making it hard for any one vertical rack to fall over.

I have a side yard used for storage. Since most of what I need to store are things like rocks, garden soil materials, etc, I do not need an enclosure for most of it. I could get by with plastic shelves like shown here. I have a permanent paver installation on either side of the side yard, so I have a firm level base on which I can set the shelves. But I need to secure the shelves to some solid structure otherwise they could fall over with a large load on them.

I am not keen on attaching a temporary storage shelf to the sidewall of the home, so I had the idea to use something analogous to a ladder rack. The two storage shelves would face each other, on either side of the walking path on the side yard. I would need some kind of spacer to attach to the top of each shelf and give the rack extra height. Then I would need a plastic equivalent of the metal ladder rack that I could tie into the spacers and then stretch across the walkway. The rack would be above the walkway, spanning from the sidewall of the home to the fence. Does anyone make structural plastic equipment that could be used for the spacer and ladder rack in this case?

Each shelf on the storage rack is rated to 150 pounds, and each rack is rated to 750 pounds. If I could find a way to just tie these storage shelves into each other while facing each other, the plastic "ladder rack" would not be load bearing and would ensure that the storage shelf on one side is supported on its backside by the fence and on the other side by the sidewall of the home.

I guess another alternative would be to create a kind of pergola in the side yard and attach the storage shelves to the side beams of the pergola. That's an extra expense I would rather avoid if there is a cheap and structurally sound solution to this issue.

Comments (11)