SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

bakery storage in wall cabinet

bellsmom
9 years ago

I am so endlessly grateful to GW for the design and function of my kitchen. This is an attempt to say thank you and is a follow up of a sorts from my recent post on how I am using my upper cabinet corner susans for bakery supplies. And NO, I am not in any way connected to the distributer or manufacturer of these containers!!

I wanted to show you how VERY well 15" deep cabinets and the sistema storage system work together for me to store my frequently used bakery supplies. (This is pure serendipidty--I I had no idea how much I would LOVE the 15" deep cabs when I decided on them. And I had never heard of sistema bakery storage canisters.)
Here is an old pic of the corner of my new kitchen:

The next pic is the cabinet to the right of the corner cabinet. You can access a new post about how storage in the susans in the corner cabinet has evolved from the link at the bottom of this post if you wish.

This organization works because the cabinet is 15" deep and the sistema canisters are 7" deep. I can put them two deep in the cabinet. Just by chance, the cabinet turned out to be 20 1/2" wide, which nearly perfectly fits four systema canisters in width. (It would have been better if I had had an extra 1/2"--then I wouldn't have had to invert an occasional canister because the hinged clips, if ranked four in a row, exceeded my width. You'll see what I mean in the pics below.

So, OK, here is the front of the fully stocked cabinet. One of the smallest canisters would have fit in the open space on the second shelf, but I forgot to put it in place.

I have two fully stocked shelves, while the top shelf contains items I cannot reach without aid. The device hanging on the inside of the door allows me to pull down the large metal bowl at the top right without climbing a step stool.

The canisters you see are modular sistema bakery canisters and fit perfectly two-deep in the cabinet.
Here you can see the same two shelves with the two front center canisters removed to show the row at the back.

And here you see the canisters from the lowest shelf only. I pulled them out and laid them face up on the island. The flour canisters contain 5# of flour; the sugar canisters contain 4# of sugar; other canisters contain varying amounts of whatever I needed handy.

The modular canisters are designed to be stacked in various configurations. Here are the dimensions:

If you are interested in these containers, you can find them at King Arthur Flour's website, on Amazon, and at Home Goods, on occasion. HG has by far the best price when they show up there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner susans in wall cabinets storing baking supplies

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 20:40

Comments (9)