SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelacious

Shower Storage

shelacious
16 years ago

I'm having my (one) bathroom remodeled, and haven't given a lot of consideration to my shower/tub storage options (no work has yet begun on the shower/tub except demolition). I have a combo tub/shower (acrylic tub), and the walls will be tiled with porcelain.

The thing is, I have a lot of stuff I need in the shower--probably six bottles, razor/shaving cream, brush, bar soap, shower gel, and pouf, so I feel like I need quite a bit of storage in the shower area. I used to have both a plastic white corner and a showerhead caddy, which gave me enough room. My new tub enclosure is a clear glass tub screen.

My question is: will having a chrome corner shower caddy look tacky in my new bathroom (all my fixtures will be chrome)? I saw one I liked in Frontgate, but hmmm, $469 is a lot for a corner shower caddy. Would marble corner shelves be better, although I would need several of them? Maybe a soap/conditioner dispenser instead of bottles? Other options?

Here is a link that might be useful: Frontgate Shower Caddy

Comments (20)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Kohler just came out with a multiple-shelf version they call the 'Shower Locker' that I think is nice-looking and that appears to be very functional. It's 18" wide x 62" tall, and comes in both a corner and wall version in many of their colors and retails for $300-ish.

{{gwi:1442545}}

• rawdeal
    16 years ago

I'm facing the same 'challenge.' Would hate to create a niche and still have to buy an after market shower caddy for things like the pouf/sponge.

• Related Discussions

Big shower or storage?

Q

Comments (12)
    We designed our master completely forgetting about storage. LOL If I could, I'd make the shower smaller and get a cabinet. Now I'm making myself crazy trying to figure out where to find a cabinet to fit my tiny space allocated for one. We initially were focusing on making the shower and entire bath wheel chair accessible thinking about the future. We are a going into our golden years. That's how we ended up with the huge shower, that will include a nice size bench. Consider what your needs are now and for the future and base your decision on those things.
    ...See More

Long, but need help with bathroom quote (xpost)

Q

Comments (3)
    Your contractor seems to be mostly specifying Schluter products....so why not use the Kerdiband to waterproof the Kerdiboard?
    ...See More

Shower storage advice?

Q

Comments (9)
    Do you live in a warehouse? We have 16' ceilings in our machine shed. I can not fathom 15' ceilings in a house :0 i think there are options to drill holes. I've seen some nice wall mounted chrome plated wire baskets for showers. You just have to follow directions to water proof the install. I have a few things set on my portable shower bench that works well.
    ...See More

Shower Niche Help

Q

Comments (36)
    You “thinks” it will work. SMH. Giving non workable solutions as “solutions”? So the paper GC doesn’t actually know what waterproofing system the hands on tile professional uses on your jobs, or why your suggestion is not a workable one. (Which probably means that no one is waterproofing your jobs.) Yet you want to interject that the virtually impossible is possible? Buy a TCNA Handbook and read up. Heck, watch some YouTube. All of the major manufacturers have channels these days. You’d do better to educate yourself so you won’t make boneheaded suggestions again. Your subcontractors will be much happier with you not promising pie in the sky.
    ...See More
  • melisande
    16 years ago

It matters quite a bit how many people/products you're planning for. A tiled niche, to me, looks better than the pre-fab product - but five shelves is pretty cool. Depends a lot on how many poufs/sponges you like and how many products...

• karencon
    16 years ago

I'm interested in responses to this as well. I do have a niche, but with a 12 yr. old daughter especially, there are so many products and supplies. $400. plus is just outrageous for a shower caddy.

• quip
    16 years ago

A dispenser made a big difference in my shower. Everything is neater and there is less waste. Even my set-in-his-ways DH likes it. You'll still want shelf space for other products, of course. In an ideal world, I'd have a niche for the dispenser and the shelves.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

get a wall-mounted dispenser. They make multiple-compartment ones.

Best thing--they never get knocked on the floor

http://www.dispenser.com/

the Ulti-Mate has a version w/ four dispensers, a shelf on top, and hooks for razors, etc.

The Aviva version has doors to hide stuff behind.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I have 9-foot ceilings, and most of those corner poles are not long enough to fit in my shower. The FrontGate one is, and I had resigned myself to getting it, but kept putting it off ($400!!!). Then, I found one at Bed Bath & Beyond that is long enough. It's $40.

It's very useful. it's very sturdy. It's not in the least flimsy. And I'd be very happy to find out it eventually broke, and buy a new one, rather than pay FrontGate's prices. It's chrome.

But if this were in my main bathroom, I'd still need a hook or two, for the razor, etc.

In my main bathroom, I got one of those "hang it off the shower head" caddies, but I didn't put it by the shower head (for one thing, when I did that, it always got rusty too fast). I put a hook above the shower surround at the other end, and hung it there.

I got a white wire one, on the theory that it will blend into the bathground better.

(in fact, I think I wish my shower pole in bathroom #2 were white)

(are you sure you need 6 liquids? Can somebody share w/ someone else? My sis had way too many bottles in her shower, and finally she got a 4-compartment dispenser and insisted that they had to negotiate which 4 liquids would go in it. No more "different shampoo for each sister." They're surviving)

ANOTHER THOUGHT:

Don't think that you have to have a single solution. You could have the dispensers for shampoo, and corner shelves, or suction-cup baskets & hooks, like either of these two links for soap and razor, etc. Having a couple of smaller, specialized units might give you a lower-profile storage solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: how does $40 grab you for a shower pole?

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

If there is still room in a corner, and your walls are going to be one of the Kohler colors, or if one of those colors would go with your porcelain, I would consider the shelf sweeby posted. It's the best of both worlds--built in so it won't rust and no groutlines inside to worry about as with tiled niches. Very streamlined looking.

• karencon
    16 years ago

Talley_sue, thanks for validating the solution I thought of in a store yesterday. Thought I could mount a robe hook at the far end of the tub/shower and hang a caddy on that. I tire of things too quickly and replacing that when needed would be easy. It would mount right under the niche, and the shower curtain when off to the side would hide it.

• rawdeal
    16 years ago

am still bothered that having a niche (or other built-in alternative) won't suffice and that I'll have to hang/place extra gadgets for the sponge, etc in a newly renovated space. I guess that's the norm and so it can't be that bad.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Why not make a large niche with several deep shelves like jejvtr has in her shower tub combo?

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I just now focused on the glass walls.

If you're going to have white or nearly-white porcelain on the walls, i vote for white organizers. bcs they'll fade in. I vote for not steel or chrome.

And I vote for a niche PLUS a wall mount dispenser. The dispenser is just so TIDY looking. It can hold the liquids (at least 4 of them). The niche can hold just a few things (bar soap and the razor, any liquid that won't fit in the dispenser). And a suction-cup hook can hold the scrubby on its loop.

• karencon
    16 years ago

Talley sue and all, your comments got me thinkin'. Has anyone ever been able to use one of those bleepin' suction things on anything. I have never found a surface they would stay mounted to........kitchen or bath. What's up with that ;-?
    Karen

• johnmari
    16 years ago

We had the "Classic" dispenser from the link Talley_Sue posted in our rental house (which we left in 2004). It was such an unbelievable PITA that we ended up not using it. I swear it was either clogged or dripping, one or the other, all the time. You also could not use products containing essential oils in the dispenser because the EOs had deleterious effects on the valve mechanism (learned that the hard way, replaced a couple of valves more than once). I really hope they have improved them since then.

Although I'll certainly grant that new corner version of the Clear Choice unit is cute.

We just used tiled-in corner shelves, but we don't keep a dozen different products each - both of us are pretty minimalist when it comes to the consumption of goops and glops.

• amy_d-r
    16 years ago

I had a similar dilemma, and ended up choosing two of the "Narrow Combo Niches" from the Noble Company. They're not installed yet, so I don't have any pictures.

I wanted my storage to be as unobtrusive as possible, but had previously been unimpressed with too-small niches that had potential moisture issues. When I found these, I was very excited since they make a watertight installation very straightforward and the two levels neatly accomodate soap, razors, etc. The niches were 56.75 each online, so it is less than some options but not as cheap as the Bed Bath & Beyond caddy.

I'm also going to re-bottle my shampoos, facewash, etc. into plain, narrow plastic bottles. You can fit 2-3 of these bottles in the space of one normal shampoo bottle, and they look much nicer.

For my brush and pouf, I plan use a natural sponge and a cute wooden brush that can hang on little suction cup hooks. Hopefully, this will look spa-like and not junky. I'll have to replace the natural sponges more often but I think they're nicer on my skin and more attractive than the plastic ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Noble Niches

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

yea, the suction-cup things have never been permanent; I've had them stay up a long time, but they do fall now and then. The hooks stay better than shelves or baskets.

I was hoping they'd stick better on the Swanstone solid tub surround, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. I have contemplated putting silicone caulk inside the suction cup just before putting it up. But I also find that I need to clean under the suction cup from time to time. I've never really investigated the irea of removing the suctioncup, and sticking the basket up w/ silicone instead.

I have a Dispenser-brand single in my little bathroom for handsoap--it works like a charm. It's been there 2 years now, and I absolutely love it. (it's esp. nice not to have to pick the stupid hand-soap dispenser up off the floor all the time)

I've never asked my sister how her triple in the shower worked, and whether she had any trouble.

• shelacious
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW! So many ideas! Many thanks to everyone. I am thinking the dispenser, but I'm concerned that a few of my conditioners might be too thick (I'm a super curly head, and I need a mixture of conditioners to get through detangling my hair, hence the multiple bottles).

Tally_sue: my tile is a beige porcelain tile (link attached, but the tile is a bit darker than the photo). Maybe I'll go for the less expensive corner caddy. All of my fixtures are in chrome, hence my thought of chrome shelving too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tosca Tile in Beige

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

I have to return my Bonsal recessed niche. It won't fit between the studs. I now desperately need an alternative!

Sweeby, that shelf would never hold the large bottles of shampoo/bodywash my kids use, but it looks a great idea for other smaller items.

• shmeal
    16 years ago

Has anyone ever created a ledge in the shower for bottle, razor, soap, etc. storage? I'm trying to convince our GG to build a ledge into the long wall of our shower, kind of like a mini-bench but much narrower (3 inches?) and much higher (42 inches?). He didn't like the idea of building a niche and I didn't like the visual clutter of the corner shelves messing up my tile design.

After I drew it out for him he got really excited about the idea and suggested that we get the stone yard to cut a piece of granite to top it with. This will tie the ledge to the shower benches to the vanity.

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

Shelacious, my tile is very similar to yours in the master bath remodel we did a few years ago. I went with one large niche and two corner shelves. The pic below gives you an idea of how they look.

Between my dad-in-law, my husband, and myself, we've sort of become territorial. The tall bottles occupy the niche. DH and his dad share one corner shelf and I have the other.