OT........Oh baby ! What a difference 70 years make
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Discussions
The difference a year makes.
Comments (18)Token, thanks so much for sharing your photos...they are very inspiring! It's great to see pictures of a whole garden and see how a large area can be transformed by winter-sowing... Right now my main garden bed looks pretty much like your photo at the very top...I'm in the process of re-redoing the plantings in that bed. Thanks to winter-sowing, I've been able to raise many sprouts and seedlings...I'm so excited to plant out my winter-sown babies! Hopefully one day my garden bed will look more like your wonderful photos of your garden in bloom!...See MoreWhat are you going to do differently next year in your garden?
Comments (9)bpgreen, thanks for helping me remember what RTF is. Steve said "...She'll eat some pie, but it's all about the crust for her.... I have to eat a whole pie myself!" Sounds like torture. I'd suggest you keep making 'em. Maybe one day she'll acquire a taste for it. I used to be a crust person myself. I discovered that I have 'superior' taste buds and now love the pie filling too. I just use much less spice. It was irritating to me to eat apple pie that tasted like cinnamon instead of apples. Many recipes call for too much spice, IMHO. I have a good no-sugar-added pie filling recipe.. I adjusted the spices to suit myself and, this year found a good low fat crust recipe. I'd never realized before having fruits fresh from my own trees, just how good they would be. The apples from my Fuji are different than those from a grocery store... more flavorful and even crisper. Don't rub in my lack of nectarines, Steve. :-( The thought of a juicy fresh nectarine or peach (or even frozen in a smoothie) sounds delicious! One year we got a box of nectarines fresh from a friends tree. Great fresh, needless to say, and the low sugar jam I made from them was fabulous! Parrots: Part of the reason I grow organically on my property..... I mostly have African parrots but also have a couple of Blue & Gold Macaws and a flight of 3 older cockatiels (2 well into their 20's). The "Psittacine" in my online name means 'of or pertaining to parrots'. I was a 'psittaculturist' (raised and studied them) for almost 30 years... retired from the "raising" part a few years ago. They definitely aren't for everyone because, if their needs are truly addressed, most are higher maintenance pets than a dog or cat. I've raised many species of parrots, or have studied them. I've also raised barn swallows, a killdeer, sage thrashers, humming bird, magpie, a starling (fun bird! much like a Magpie) and a common sparrow (Twiggy, one of my favorites)and maybe others I've forgotten. Have never been able to save a common robin, though. What species of conure was yours? Steve said: "Always wanted a falcon, though! Maybe someday..." Not an easy thing to get a raptor license. There is a guy that lives a few blocks from me who is a falconer and has a raptor rehabilitation license. His golden eagle died of West Nile Virus last year, (he now has a new one for his education program). They are beautiful animals. Crystal...See MoreMy 70 year old friend is not safe from virus
Comments (39)Another email from my friend I called senior services and they told me that they have a van called Metro Connect. It used to cost money to take it, but during the pandemic it is free. It will take seniors to the doctor and/or the grocery store. They only take a few passengers at a time and you have to wear a mask. So that will solve that problem. In terms of masks at this senior living facility -- when I called the state, they told me that our governor has "recommended" masks but has not mandated it -- so there's nothing to do about some people not wearing masks here. And in a place with hundreds of people, there probably is no way to enforce it anyway. And after reading the article about the particles going through ventilation systems, there may be no getting away from it. I know that my airconditioning unit is for my apartment alone -- but I'm not sure about the heat. I know I'm not in a good place for this time -- but I'll just keep doing the best I can. Thanks for all your concern and the concern of your forum....See MoreRedoing 70 year oak floors, not sure which finish to use
Comments (2)I have experienced a few issues with adding poly over older floors that then trapped moisture that used to pass from the crawl space through the floor. Hardwax oils seem expensive but the small amount used means the cost per square foot isn't that bad. They often require only one coat, but the packaging might make you buy more that you need. For instance a 1.33 liter kit of Rubio 2C oil does 700 square feet. If you compare to a system that requires more coats, it would add more materials, though they may cost less. Factoring in your time could tip the scales when considering the overall cost. In the past we have used DuraSeal on stage floors, applying three coats with no wax. Each coat gets buffed off/burnished, done on three days. If you consider the extra materials and possibly having to rent machinery, the oil finish might start Here's a 350ml kit of Rubio, which comes out to about 35 cents per square foot. Doing three coats of DuraSeal, or two coats and wax would cost more in materials and take more labor. The other oil we've used regularly is WOCA. It would require two coats at a minimum and a maintenance product over that if you want a sheen....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

KIDS’ SPACESOh, Baby! 12 Ideas to Get a Chic Nursery Rolling
Nest to your heart's content with these starting points for gorgeous nursery designs
Full Story
MOST POPULAR8 Little Remodeling Touches That Make a Big Difference
Make your life easier while making your home nicer, with these design details you'll really appreciate
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZBaby Boomers Are Making Remodeling Changes With Aging in Mind
Walk-in tubs, curbless showers and nonslip floors are popular features, the 2018 U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends Study finds
Full Story
KITCHEN OF THE WEEKKitchen of the Week: 27 Years in the Making for New Everything
A smarter floor plan and updated finishes help create an efficient and stylish kitchen for a couple with grown children
Full Story
LIFECondo, Co-op, Townhouse, TIC — What's the Difference?
Learn the details about housing alternatives so you can make a smart choice when buying a home
Full Story
COLORHow to Use Marsala, Pantone’s 2015 Color of the Year
Pantone digs deep and goes earthy with its selection. Here are ways to make it work in your home
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Make Your Garage a Storage Powerhouse
New project for a new year: Add shelving and containers to get your stuff off the garage floor — and still have room for the car
Full Story
DESIGN POPA ‘Lord of the Rings’ Fan Makes His Dream Hobbit House
A New York construction supervisor and his family spend more than 6 years building this cozy, movie-inspired cottage
Full Story
ORGANIZING10 Things to Remember When Decluttering in the New Year
Fast-track the process and ease the stress by making a plan before you begin
Full Story
WHITE KITCHENSNew This Week: 3 White Kitchens, 3 Different Styles
A few key accents can make one all-white kitchen look and feel completely distinct from another
Full Story
Carolyn Newlen