SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

The quarter mile lane. Just thinking back about 70 years.

gandle
17 years ago

Our house, barn and outbuildings were situated back form the dirt county road a "quarter mile" or at least that is what our father always told people. "We're at the end of that quarter mile lane."

Really, calling it a lane was to give it more dignity than it deserved, it was in reality, just a scar or gash in the earth from the farmstead to the county road. Once, I asked dad why they build so far back from the road, his answer, thats where the wells are. I never did ask the obvious, why didn't they drill the wells closer to the road?

Sister Mary and I for some unknown reason decided to measure the actual distance from the house to the road, how do you measure? Well, we had a yardstick but first you have to decide exactly which point to measure from. We thought the house or maybe the barn or perhaps one of the wells. We decided from ther front steps of the house.

After laying down the yardstick and picking it up for about 20 times and losing track we decided there had to be a better way. Hey, we were only 10 or 12. We found in the barn in the harness room lots of coiled rope hanging, some looked far too big to handle but we found a short piece of small rope that measured only 17 feet.

Now we had a standard to measure with, one of us could hold one end on the ground and the other just walk around and touch the other end to the ground, a 17 foot measure proved a lot better than a yardstick and a lot easier to keep track of.

Still remember that we came up with 71 lengths of rope which made the lane quite a bit shorter than dad's quarter mile. 17x 77 made 1207 feet instead of the 1320 which it was supposed to be.

Naturally, we had to tell him that the lane wasn't a quarter mile by about a hundred feet. He just looked at us strangely and I remember him saying to my step-mother "Where in hell do those two come up with these things?" Her reply "I saw them out there and couldn't figure out what they were doing but it looked harmless".

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions