SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

Thinking about a new car...

jazmynsmom
15 years ago

I drive a 1996 Honda Accord. I always said I would drive it into the ground. It's got 125K miles on it, and it is nowhere near dead yet... but when I was having routine maintenance done on it today, I learned I'm about to have to put some money in it for a cracked radiator, oil leaks, new hoses, new tires and rear suspension problems...

So I'm thinking this might be a good time to research the possibility of buying a new car. I really don't drive much (a tank of gas lasts me 3-5 weeks... longer in the summer because I ride my bike a lot). The good news is we can afford pretty much anything we want. But one doesn't get to (or stay at) that point by buying everything one wants. Plus, things change, and financial agility is a good thing.

I want something very fuel efficient. Something with plenty of room for two large (and sometimes filthy) dogs... a cargo area behind the seats would probably be best, as they're rough on seats. I don't care for SUVs. (They're too big and I don't like sitting up so high.) I like my sedan, but have sometimes wished for more cargo room (plant shopping!) so I'm leaning towards station-wagony type things.

Actually, I really, really want a Mini Cooper Clubman. With the winter options package (butt warmers!), the sunroof, and the automatic transmission... Even with a few more options (like the racing stripes), I could get one for under $25K, which is doable without payments.

Of course there are drawbacks... like the nearest dealership is 73 miles away... Also, I fear I may be allowing too much emotional input in the decision-making process... I've never owned a new car before and I'm not sure it's all it's cracked up to be. I normally prefer to save and invest money... but that hasn't worked out too well for us this year!

There are other options too... Like I could get newish (but not new) Honda Accord, or maybe some other vehicle that would meet my needs. Or I could just keep putting money into the Accord. There's nothing major wrong with it after all. I'm just weighing my options.

I don't haul a lot of passengers and I hardly ever have kids in my car (as a matter of fact, Izzy partially chewed through the rear seat belts when she was a puppy and I haven't replaced them because no one ever uses them.)

If you were me, is there a kind of vehicle you'd consider that I'm not?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions