SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steiger1235

1930's house purchase/reno help?

Steiger S
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

hi- we're contemplating buying my grandmothers home to keep it in the family. its a 1.5 story ( I think that's the correct term) with a full, unfinished basemen,t house in the Northwest, built in 1939. She bought it in 1960 and has done no remodeling. its original plaster, moldings, hardwood, kitchen and bathroom. The electric and plumbing is original. Its had a new furnace and new hot water heater in the last 6 months, as well as a new back porch. she added vinyl siding at some point, maybe 30 ish years ago. We are out of state so we'll be flying up for a long weekend to meet with contractors to make sure we can afford to take it on and redo everything safely. We'd like to retain as much of the character as possible.

Can ya'll help me make my list for our meeting with the contractor?

Things on my list to discuss are,

updating the electric and plumbing,

eventually adding a second bathroom (either in the basement or on the second floor) and probably a new kitchen,

new roof,

adding AC

ability/costs to finish the basement and make it usable space, (its concrete, has an exterior and interior door) is dry and has space for ceilings with a minimum 7 feet of clearance.

Figuring out what to do about lead paint? we don't have little kids, but we have teenagers. I doubt anything has been painted since the 70's. Most of the paint appears totally in tact except for a few windows and places where doors bump into things etc.

windows are original, all open and close and have storm windows. I think they have been reglazed or cleaned up about 10 years ago but will verify.

what am i missing? Its not ideal to be doing all of this ahead of time, from two states away during a pandemic. I know i'm going to forget stuff.

grandmas house · More Info

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!