SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
911fan_gw

Help a (Clueless) Guy Decorate his Small 1930s Living Room

911fan
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Great forum here and I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction in regards to design and inspiration�.

I�m a 30 year old guy who just bought his first home � it�s a3 level all brick end unit townhouse built in 1935 right under 1200 square feet. I love the character of the home with original hardwoods and fireplaces, however due to the small footprint and it being built in the 30s the rooms are pretty small. Also, due to that fact there are a lot of walls that I can�t use to anchor furniture due to doorways or fireplaces. I know that it can be a showstopper in the right hand but as this is my first place (and using a guy�s eye to design) it�s hard for me to envision.

The room I�m having the hardest time with is the living room which is 11 x 13 with an exterior door on one wall, a fireplace on another and an entrance to the dining room on the 3rd. As such, I have NO IDEA how to decorate the small space and its driving me nuts!! I�ve attached a layout of the first floor below and was hoping someone could help with lay-out and furniture. I�d like to do something that looks correct in the older style home because I love the character but am trying to stay away from anything too antique looking, I�d like comfortable, classic style (picture a less over the top Ralph Lauren Brookfield vibe). Any pics would be great as I�m still having a hard time picturing.

Anyway, ramblings aside HELP!!!

THANKS!!

Comments (81)

• lascatx
    11 years ago

A room doesn't have to be centered on a fireplace, but it is an obvious focal point for both this room and your library, brownysmom. Your rooms also have some significant differences. For starters, the placement of the OP's dining room door gives much less depth for placing anything before you have to worry about traffic patterns. The stairwell and entry are more open to the OP's LR, which makes seating near the door less inviting. I don't know if your built-ins were already there or if you added them, but they are a huge difference. And then I see the use of the space for a 30 year old guy differently than I would for a family or more established homeowner (not sure of your situation, but your room, lovely as it is, doesn't say 30 something or young single guy to me).

The OP also said he wanted the fireplace to be a focal point, and while it's not the only way to play a room, it rarely seems to be a wrong one. You actually did it too, even though it isn't your only seating area. ;-)

Anyway, it's not my idea or your idea that matters as much as giving the OP lots of ideas to help him find what fits his purposes. We've done that.

Now, I'm sure it's been posted somewhere else, but mind me asking what your wall color is? I need to repaint my entry and LER and am looking in that general direction. Thanks.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

911fan, you posted while I was typing. Sounds like you need music more than a TV, and something as simple as an ipod and quality speakers can accomplish that for you in most any room. You can even get a system that will allow you to play the music in any of those rooms without blasting it from another room.

As you can tell, I am in Texas, and we don't have basements so the ground floor is most often the general living space. The only basement I saw growing up had a piano and sleeper sofa where we were sent to be out of the way and a laundry/storage area that was not at all inviting. I forget people have basements, much less live there. :D

• Related Discussions

Appropriate Kitchen and Dining Room Lighting for 1930's Colonial

Q

Comments (8)
    A surface mounted light fixture at the center of the ceiling will light the back of someone working in the kitchen and throw a shadow on the work surface. This is how the kitchen would have been illuminated in the 30's. We now know that for better comfort and efficiency such task areas should be illuminated more directly with stronger focused light from under the cabinets or recessed into the ceiling. Modern recessed light fixtures can be 3" or 4" in diameter and deeply recessed or with shields so the lamp is not noticeable. They should be placed about at the line of the front edge of the counter and be adjustable or wall washers. They are particularly effective over the sink. If you have an island, pendant lights are decorative and efficient but for a low ceiling, recessed Low-Voltage Pin-Spot fixtures work very well. A major decision will be if you want a ceiling fan.
    ...See More

Need a little help with small living room furniture layout

Q

Comments (33)
    Okay, let me see.......where did I file those pics of the pics.....duhhhh. Yaya, I will put my peabrain into gear and see what I can find. I did upload an album for the HouseMA, which means Massachusetts, which I'll link to below, but there are tons of IN PROCESS photos of the various rooms. But of the small parlor/living room, with that row of pics....which I love, BTW, for the subject matter as well as the frames.... I'll look for the best one and insert it HERE. Look for the albums about the Massachusetts Cape @ Webshots. I took the pictures with my digital camera the day we went to Mystic Seaport CT. It was in December, and the place was almost deserted, so there were no folks in the shots. As a boat captain, I knew of Mystic Seaport for many years, and I was in hog heaven being there. So the pictures meant a lot to me. The second image from the right is a bow shot of the whaling ship Charles W. Morgan, before it went on the ways/weighs to be restored/rebuilt. Fantastic and beautiful, a work of art. Then I saw the end of every bowsprit (pointy end of the ship) had a star carved into it and usually painted gold or sometimes blue. This is a tradition with old sailing vessels, a good luck sign, which meant "follow your lucky star," and I'd always, on every boat I worked on, painted a blue star (5 point) on the bow of the boat. It is a sailor tradition. I just love the traditions of the sea. Seeing one from the "old days" was awesome. That is why I love the last picture to the right. And, of course, I took some figurehead shots. You know of course the ancient mariners would strap a live virgin to the bow, as a sacrifice to the sea gods for their safe return. Eventually, they carved and painted wooden figureheads, not all female, as figureheads. I guess they ran out of virgins? If you have a chance to visit the Mystic Seaport, it is a real treat. Here is a link that might be useful: Moccasin's Webshots albums
    ...See More

I need help decorating my living room

Q

Comments (16)
    I understand wanting to make what you have work, especially since you'll be adjusting financially for a time with your new house. I would not recommend purchasing furniture on credit. Instead, save for the pieces you want. Reserve debt increases for items that will protect or increase the value of your home if absolutely necessary. It's better to plan and save for those items as well. But, I digress. . . I think there are some things you can do to bridge the warm and cool tones in your room. Bringing some of the cooler tones onto the the sofa and bringing some warmer tones onto the wall are some things to consider. The mock-up below attempts to illustrate the idea I would recommend removing the console to the left of the window. It appears to crowding the entry. Maybe think about a couple of prints that have both warm and cool tones for above the long sofa wall. And perhaps a warm wooden shelf on the short wall. A distressed mirror above it along with a couple of well chosen photos or other items could make a nice vignette. Rather than the current side table, consider a solid, drum or pedestal. Suspending a pendent light in the right position above it would balance out the short sofa wall. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. Congratulations on your new house!
    ...See More

Clueless guy seeks area rug help!

Q

Comments (93)
    Since privacy isn't an issue,you could consider Arlo blinds on Overstock when on sale https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Arlo-Blinds-Dali-Native-Cordless-Lift-Bamboo-Roman-Shades-with-60-Inch-Height/22158775/product.html?refccid=AEYVUL65EQTKL2CORS5IQJREHE&searchidx=14 (ask landlord to share costs),window film on lower portion only,roller shades (see here https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/how-designers-make-roller-shades-look-super-chic or just go bare. ps--Ask landlord before mounting any bracketed cornices.
    ...See More
  • 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - I have my initial marching orders and am going to start scouring flea markets & estate sales this weekend to see what I can find. On a silly note - is there a common thread running through all these different designs that have been posted? I like them all and they seem to fit my vision however if someone asked me "whats your style?", I'd have no idea what the style is called. Is this traditional?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Lascatx, the color is Martin Senour's Spiderweb, and the ceiling is their Peach Tulle, with a now defunct Fuller O'Brien trim and cabinet color called Bleached Ivory. Similar B. Moore colors are Ivory Tusk and Honied White (which I can never mention without complaining that it ought to be spelled "honeyed...").

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, it's traditional, but there are many traditions!
    I think you might be liking the classic American well-to-do country or village house - which has English aspects, but with a colonial bent.

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK again - this has been invaluably helpful and after measuring again and again and looking at the traffic patterns plus how I know the room flows I think I've come up with a tentative design idea. Please be as critical as you'd like, I've got thick skin.

I was thinking on the wall under the window a smaller sectional with a sofa table behind to create an entrance way when you walk in. I'm picturing a lamp on each end of the table to create a visual divide from the space. In the corner off the wall the stairs are on, a chest high server or bar which I could fix drinks or grab a cigar (I'm picturing a beefed up secretary's desk). Next to that wall a collection of photos, I've always collected old maps so I could arrange them here flanked by sconces on each side. Perhaps chair railing under to help balance the heaviness of the map collection and sconces. In front of the couch I'd like a heavy tufted leather ottoman where I can set drinks - the kind the more you beat up the better it looks. Built-ins on each side of the fireplace.

Thoughts? My only concern is lack of balance with everything being set on one side of the room to save the traffic pattern. Also, I'd love a leather winged-back chair but the space is so small, it reads larger on the photos I posted due the the fish eye lenses.

Although its not as English country house as I originally imagined I think I can accomplish a happy medium with the right accent pieces and a heavy plaid throw or something of the like....

Please tear this design apart haha!

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to keep my eyes out for a light blue or tan oriental rug as well. After playing with the Ethan Allen room designer, it looks as though my design above might be too heavy on the one side of the room.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think that's a fine idea!

Using a sectional to create an entryway is a good way to manipulate the space - I'm assuming you mean a table not along the window wall behind, but in front of you as you walk in? A slender desk table would be great - you could put your mail and keys down, keep stamps and the tip envelope for the pizza and Chinese food delivery guys (you do have those, don't you??) and your tickets to the ball game and things of that ilk in the drawers.

Google "writing table" and look at images to see a bunch of styles.

Here's a great old art deco bar for you. It's shown open - the top raises and the front drops down to reveal bar tools fitted in, and room for all sorts of doo dads. We have one, and it works great!

And hang a zippy stylish mirror over your bar chest, with a wall lamp on the adjacent wall but close to the corner, to mitigate the dead end feeling you can get in a corner.

Here are some mirrors:
    A federa-style square -

A sort of Asian-inspired thing:

...and a nutty stick thing, if you are in the mood for a little over the top style:

If you leave off the bookcases, you can run the sectional up pretty close to the hearth, with just a table between the end of it and the window wall, which could hold a nice fat lamp and a martini...and then a chair in the other corner that has all its bulk allocated to the seat and not the arms, so you can be comfortable but still get by it.

Like this style:

or something sort of British tropical colonial, like one of these:

Okay - I'm through being the big buttinski-mother-person that you don't need one of...!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I did a search for club chairs earlier on Houzz and found this sofa/club chair combination that has some similarities to your room.

[Traditional Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Minneapolis Interior Designer Design By Lisa
    Check out the windows and built-ins flanking the fireplace. Note how window treatments carry the line all the way around the room. You can't see the doorway, but you can imagine that there is one right behind the lighter side chair pulled up for an extra seat and a bit of balance. The chairs under the window and the sofa facing the fireplace helps balance the weight too. The sofa under the window could make it heavier on that side. Consider color and pattern too -- they help balance things visually.

I like your bar idea too (not the cigars, sorry -- hated the smoke even before starting to see my dad go through pulmonary fibrosis and dementia caused by the lack of oxygen, and he stopped smoking 20 years ago). Keep your eye and mind open and a buffet, secretary or even a smallish armoire might make a great find.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Sounds like an excellent decor plan -- I'm a big fan of antique and vintage bars (and martinis)! (LOL!)

Plus you MIGHT hold a wonderful classic film night party to celebrate -- watching the brillant "Nick & Nora" mystery series -- and music, drinks and cigars upstairs!

Do post more photos as you decorate -- always fun to see a room evolve! :)

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone - thank you so much, this has been absolutely wonderful. I have my ideas swirling and now I'm just going to keep my eyes peeled over the months to find the gems here and there at flea markets and yard sales - honestly thats the best part!

After the last pic lascatx posted thats my design plan and I'll just play with the weights and colors to make sure it comes together correctly so I know I'll have more questions.

Also, on a personal note to Lascatex I'm sorry to hear about your father and meant no disresect, at the end of the day I'm more of a fan of the looks of a humidor in a room than the contents.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, I agree that Lascatx's plan is perfect for you.

Have a ball! I envy you, sort of...starting out and scouting is so much fun, and it sounds like you are doing it just right - holding out for one good thing at a time, rather than rushing to completion.

And please give us progress reports!

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

Congrats on your new home. I love it...it's charming.

The kitchen wall (where the stairs are)-- what's on that wall, on the kitchen side? The first thing I thought of was that you need to make a opening (right next to the steps on that wall -- going into the kitchen.
    It could be a small opening (not to loose wall space)24-28" wide. I could also have a French Door
    that opens onto the wall by the stairs.

If this is doable, it save you from having to walk through
    the LR and DR to get to the kitchen as it provides a clear path to the kitchen from the front door...also nice cross
    ventelation...Could you show us some kitchen pic's?

Brownysmom...I love your style of decorating, it's inspirational.
    joann

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cliff and Joan - unfortunately thats not doable as it backs to the fridge etc. Currently the kitchen is ripped out and in the process of a never ending reno. However, here is a pic of what it will look like. Since the townhouses all have the same floor plan it was easy to pic and choose the best components in each kitchen:

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Thank you. I'm touched that you say so.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

911fan, no offense taken, and non intended by my comment. I probably should have left the aside out, but my father is being very difficult right now and I beyond my limits.

On a better note, I am glad you have a plan. As you find your furniture pieces, things could shift but you have several basic layout approaches that will work for that room to start with. If you go with chairs and a sofa, you will have some added versatility over a sectional. That was something I meant to mention before -- this looks like the room where a Christmas tree might go, and if you prefer a tree at the front window a sectional on that side of the room could make it very difficult or impossible. With a pair of chairs, you might be able to leave on on the window wall, and rearrange the others. Anyway, if that will be a Christmas tree room, do consider how you will deal with the seasonal change.

Good luck and have fun pulling it all together. I second bronwynsmom (who does have a warm and classic style -- I remember the peach ceiling now) about a certain amount of envy. Enjoy the process and your new home.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Love the pic lascatx posted. It's cozy, versatile, and provides a traffic pattern around the room, rather than through it. A server or bar in the corner would be perfect for that spot!

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well after a weekend of searching high and low a starting point, I think I have found a nice bachelor's chest to use as a bar against one wall. The price literally couldn't be beat (free) and after looking through antique stores all weekend I like the clean sturdy lines of this far better. Here is our first bit of progress - let me know how everyone likes it:

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Next (since I dont know how to post multiple pictures in a post) here is the large loveseat I think I may use. It's about 72" long so it should be comfortable enough for 2 people and again at $100 if I hate it 6 months from now I can get rid of it without feeling like I have to endure it for a few years.

Next I need to find a leather ottoman which is proving to be somewhat harder than expected, even online I can't exactly find something to match what I'm picturing in my head...all the leather ottomans I find look so new and lacking of character - I'm playing with the idea of finding a shape I like and then trying to reupholster it myself with some nice distressed leather although I doubt I'd be able to tuft it well. Oh well, we shall see.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh! That chest is so similar to one my parents have from their early marriage years. I think my dad bought it for their first anniversary or Christmas together. Theirs has pullout supports on the sides of the drawer, then the top opens up for a serving area with what I believe is a stone (maybe black marble or granite) inlay. That sucker is heavy! My dad didn't have the movers take it and then decided he wanted it after my brother left town. DH and I had to move it, and I think it may have been the heaviest piece in the whole move.

It is a beautiful piece and a great price. Looks like it is in really good shape too. It can also be a versatile piece and serve in many rooms down the road. Nice find.

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Progress! I decided against the couches seen above - I thought the pictures weren't taken well and I'd be able to "tighten" them up. However that turned out not to be the case. I ended up getting a big loveseat and arm chair from Crate and Barrel in a sage green velvet. The lines are pretty clean and its a standard rolled arm. I'm not crazy on the idea of having a matching chair and loveseat but I suppose I can always reupholster and know the shape will still match.

Next, I need to work on finding a good ottoman and chair. I've been searching Houzz high and low.

Here are a few questions. Do you think the cherry wood of the chest will end up matching the sage green couches? And next, what color rug? I'm picturing a tanish-beige oriental rug....

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Do you have a picture of the sage green color? I don't think there will be a problem clashing with the chest. Are you repainting the room? It's easier to match a paint color to the rug than vice a versa so get your rug first. If you think you'll be working with various paint colors throughout the house, buying the fan decks from the paint company you'll be using is a good investment. It will save you some trips to the paint store, and you can take them with you when you shop for curtains and bedding, etc. Most people on this sight refer to Benjamin and Moore and Sherwin Williams paints the most, and when someone suggests a paint color to you, it's nice to have the paint chips on hand. Another website for you to check out is pinterest.com. You can "pin" pictures from other websites to your board there. Did you remove the oriental runner going up the stairs? Did you get a fabric swatch of your sofa fabric? Ask them for one if you didn't.

• maddie260
    11 years ago

I have only read your original question and scattered responses, so I may be out of turn, but here goes. I would remove that area rug (it may be gone) and the stair runner. I think that it overwhelms the space and takes over the decorating scheme. And, yes, cherrywood with sage is beautiful. Good luck.

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Well its been a long road thus far and I thought that I would update everyone on my progress. Its been interesting though since I realize now where I have ended up is no where near the place I started in terms of design! Oh well - it all started with some antique lamps I saw and fell in love with and they provided the inspiration of my work in progress.

What you see here has been pieced together from Craigslist primarily with a few fleamarkets here in there. I'm still trying to find the right ottoman and need a TV for over the fireplace (I gave in!). Anyway, since its slow and everyone was SO nice here I wanted to update the progress.

A few questions abound so again I throw myself to the sage advice for the GW forum. namely I'm still trying to figure out the following:

1) Window coverings? I am ABSOLUTELY clueless about what to get...I dont even know where you buy them. Any thoughts?

2) I'm (think?) keeping the long table with the mirror over but am at a loss of how to decorate. The green lamp thats currently there is going to find a new home when I determine how to decorate that side table.

3)What to use as a coffee table?!? Its SUCH a small room that decorating has been a challenge and most coffee tables are too large of a scale. I found that trunk and it fits although I don't love it...I feel like its too visually heavy for such a small room. I'd still like to find a cocktail ottoman but ugh, good luck finding one that works. I'd love to hear thoughts here too.

Oh and the last pic is my new co-decorator Scout.

Thanks everyone!

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

still dont know how to post multiple images

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh and feel free to lay on harsh criticism - I intentionally bought Craigslist stuff so I could toss the components that didnt quite work guilt free!

• geokid
    11 years ago

It looks very comfortable and cozy!

Where is the chest you bought that you were going to use as a bar?

I know I'm not going to be a lot of help, but I do have one thought: why not put the tv where the mirror is? Either mount it in place of the mirror, or a piece of furniture to house the tv and components would be nice too. The way your room is arranged, watching tv above the fireplace will only be comfortable for the person in the chair.

If you are set on the TV above the fireplace, then maybe rotate your furniture so the sofa faces the fireplace. And then you can use the long table as a sofa table behind the sofa.

I think a round ottoman would be nice as a coffee table. It would break up all the square angles of the room.

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats not a bad idea - I like the round ottoman idea. I had to sell the chest. It was a too deep and screwed up the traffic pattern so as much as I loved it, I had to get rid of it.

The room is sooooo small it s really a challenge not overpowering it.

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any one else care to chime in:)

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Love your house-- gorgeous. Only suggestion would be a bigger rug. As far as a coffee table, you might think of 2 sets of nesting tables with legs. That would be lighter (see through the legs) and give you a lot of flexibility.

I know what you mean about visualizing something and not being able to find it. This happens often with me and it is frustrating!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Looking good and I too would have fallen in love with the lamps. I've enjoyed your posts and seeing how things have come together for you.

Have you maybe scouted some antique/collector malls and shops for a table or something to repurpose as a table? Possibly something like an old cobblers bench coffee table?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images - cobblers bench coffee table

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chemocurl - No, but thats a great idea! Thats exactly the type of advice I need since I literally have no idea what I'm doing haha!

Maybe I will try a bigger rug too. I thought that was the right size to define the area of the room but it is somewhat uneven.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

The link below shows a repurposed item for a table. Browsing antique malls and thrift stores might give you other ideas of something that with some legs added by a woodworker, would be perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love this Threshing tray coffeetable

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

ok...LOVE the slim table with the mirror over it..that area looks great. Overall I like what you have going on except the chest..I like the idea of a chest for a coffee table but just not that one. (but that is my personal taste)...I totally get the need for something slim for your coffee table. I have a tight LR space in condo if I use a standard depth coffee table, it just takes up too much space.

I like the idea of cubes or glass tables too. Right now I'm using knock-offs of the Tanner cubes from Pottery Barn.

In regards to the rug size, I am ok with the size. I know alot of people say the furniture needs to sit on the rug, but I don't mind the look of a smaller area rug.

Thanks for coming back and updating on your space. Cant wait to see more.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

I'm envious, my living room is about that size but I have no fireplace. I love the fireplace! I think I would go for a coffee table with legs, something light. I also would arrange the sofa facing the fireplace, which also creates an entryway by sectioning it off. The way it is now you are just looking into the kitchen. If its too long and interferes with the traffic pattern, then forget I mentioned it. I know with my living room I felt like drapes overpowered it, its so small, so I put blinds up, I love the option to pull them up out of the way or to filter light - my living room faces west so afternoon sun gets intense at times. Funny, I have a lamp I found like the ones you have - I have it on a round "colonial" style table. I think decorating a small room is much more difficult than a large space. Your room is so cosy, the advantage of a small space.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

(NOT) Clueless Guy,

My living room in my old Cape is long and narrow (10 x 25), so I have a width problem. I bought a coffee table like in the link below, which comes up on eBay occasionally for prices far lower than those shown. I USED to have an antique trunk as a coffee table, and can't tell you how much the small glass and brass table appeared to open up the room. I just love mine, and think something like it would be perfect in your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: MASTERCRAFT Vtg Mid Century Modern Oval Bamboo Brass Glass Side End Coffee Table

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I've been using a large brass tray on an iron stand~the stand was from a glass top table. It's smallish, so just a nice size for a drink or two.

Here's a pic, but the design on mine is different. I paid $3 at a flea market, but that was 10 years ago. I don't see them in thrift stores either. Guess there's always eBay or maybe etsy.

Just thought I would throw out another idea that doesn't use up a lot of space. A wood stand from an old tv tray could also be used as a base, or take a beat up top off an old table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brass tray

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Whoops! This should be it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tray

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

I, too think that you should put your TV where the long table with the mirror over it is. Perfect for viewing from the couch, and if you angled the side chair just a tad, it would work for someone sitting in the chair, also. I just think that putting it over the fireplace would be too high, and not as visually appealing.

I also like the idea of a small oval glass coffee table as a perfect solution to lighten up the room and provide some curves to the space. Looks great, so far!

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

link to Tanner coffee table by Pottery Barn. I think it might be too deep.

How deep is your trunk?

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tanner-coffee-table/

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

Link to Pia coffee table from Crate and Barrel,

Again 24inches deep..might be to deep.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/pia-coffee-table/s664777

• razamatazzy
    11 years ago

where is co-decorator, scout?

• andee_gw
    11 years ago

Think of the rug as a floor covering, not a small piece that furniture is grouped around. You can buy an area rug in a size such that there is at least 12" between the rug edge and the wall. I think a large area rug pulls the room together.

I thought one of the earlier inspiration photos with the sofa facing the fireplace was good -- will your sofa fit that way?

You weren't too sure about a TV in that room. Why not wait?

• User
    11 years ago

LOL I was looking for "Scout" too. I thought maybe he was the elephant in the room.

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops! Here she is!

By the way, I've never made the joke about the elephant in the room but I think it may start coming out at cocktail parties...

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

unfortunately the room is too narrow to have the sofa facing the fireplace. I'm pretty much stuck with that being there. Great thoughts about the coffee table, I keep trying to love the trunk but its just not happening. Oh well it was only $20 so maybe its Scouts new toy box.

Interesting point about the rug - admittedly I'm not too polished on the rules of design so I end up having to learn along the way. I think I'll try a bigger rug.

Also I'm going to hold off on the TV. Maybe once I finish the kitchen reno and use the room more otherwise I'm fine with just going to the basement which I'm also decorating slowly but surely. Its becoming my favorite room in the house and has another massive fireplace which makes it so warm and cozy. I'll post some pics and get everyone kind help AFTER I vacuum the couch (yellow dog & brown microfiber - UGH!!)....

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see your basement!

For your windows I would choose small slat shutters. They would be perfect for the high windows next to the FP.

A painted bench would be nice for the coffee table. It would be the perfect size and you can use it for a hard surface to write on, and it's a nice place to set drinks.

For some reason I've never been much of a fan of ottomans serving as coffee tables.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

It looks great so far!

For the rug, I would not go bigger (I like to see some of the hardwood!) but center it on the sofa left to right, so that the arm chair will then be front-half only on the rug.

For a coffee table, in small spaces I like an ottoman that can be used as storage or a tray/convertible one. Overstock has many to choose from see link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: ottoman/convertible

• 911fan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, thats a good idea about moving the rug. I have it where it is since I didn't want to put it over the hearth. I suppose it doesnt really matter though and that was simply some preconceived notion I made have had.

Currently on the hunt for a new coffee table....

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor