SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaborne

Dining Table for 1930s home?

mamaborne
7 years ago

We are buying a 1930s home that is very elegant in feel. The dining room has a beautiful fireplace with an elegant mantelpiece and period wall sconces with electric candles. There are two tall windows on the other side of the fireplace and it's a good sized room. I am struggling with ideas for a dining room table and chairs. I don't think I want it to be 100% period because the house will start to feel too 'antique-y'. When I picture ultra modern, it seems to clash too far with the mantelpiece. The house is too elegant for a farmhouse style table, imo. Have been considering a 1940s Duncan Phyfe type table with some ultra modern chairs. Anyone have thoughts/opinions to share? Thanks :)

Comments (58)

• kswl2
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"I thought about double pedestal but the contrast of the fine detailing on the mantel didn't seem right..."

??? There is nothing more elegant than a double pedestal dining table.

here is your favored Duncan Phyfe style

Equally lovely are double pedestal Regency tables.

mamaborne thanked kswl2
  • User
    7 years ago

I agree. A Duncan Phyfe Pedestal table and if you want to "update" either upholstered or slipped parson's chairs. I love your house BTW. I think it's a neat dining room and I would go all 30s mahogany but that's me!

mamaborne thanked User
  • Related Discussions

do i need mua in 1930's home without hvac

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for your input kaseki. I wish I were an engineer and could give an actual figure on how leaky the house is, best I can say is VERY :). Along with the hole out the roof for the swamp cooler there are also (6) 8"X5" openings to the crawl space. The other gas combustion appliances (boiler and H2O heater) are in the utility room which accesses the crawl space. The utility room is also below the kitchen. As for the source of their make up air I'm unsure... kinda makes me wish I'd asked the tech. who installed the new boiler last year a lot more questions. So, thinking this through if we were to go with the 1200 cfm hood and connected a damper to a fresh air inlet (hole) to the outside and to nothing on the inside (as we have no forced air and therefore no ducting), the damper would open when I used the range vent and let in MUA for the time the range vent was in use, and close when it wasn't. Realistically, how much more air could it be pulling in than the 6 other holes in the crawl space and the one in the roof? hmmm. I'm probably missing something in my logic but it seems silly to have only 1 of 8 openings controlled unless it's absolutely necessary to have that 8th hole and it's in a location that I want to be able to shut is my thinking. Currently I have a non-functioning electric range with OTR MW recirculation hood (the catalyst for the whole remodel). Needless-to-say I'm excited to have proper range ventilation and want to do it right, but I'm starting to think that a damper for additional MAU might not be needed. I do know this, the 3 times a year my DH takes the time to get me a really good fire going, I'm sitting in front of it and am no where near the range. :)
    ...See More

Replacing hardwood floors in older house (circa 1930's)

Q

Comments (4)
    Sorry to answer a question with a question. Are the partitions between rooms built on top of the floor? In general, having a subfloor under a wood floor makes for a more solid and sturdy end product but judging from the fact that yours has lasted around 80 years, it's not essential. If your partitions are built on top of the floor, you won't be able to remove all of the flooring. You would have to cut the flooring where it meet the first joist out from the wall, install subfloor in the void left from removing most of the old floor, then install a new floor over the top. This would add some thickness.
    ...See More

Adding a powder room to a 1930’s Foursquare home

Q

Comments (6)
    We have a house that is 20 years older than yours and is pretty much a foursquare. We added a small powder room in the only space we could find. We were already putting a flat roof, one story addition off the back to make our kitchen larger, so we stole some space from the original kitchen right next to the dining room and moved the entry door to the dining room down about five feet so we could create a small hall effect area between the two rooms. Now it seems as though this space could have been a butlers pantry type area originally. You enter the bathroom off the short hall separating the kitchen and dining room. I know many people would turn up their noses at the idea of a powder room anywhere close to the kitchen, but this was the only space we had to work with. In these old houses you have to make do with spaces that might not be ideal if you were designing a new house from scratch. Sorry I don't have any photos I can share.
    ...See More

What brand is this 1930s(?) dining set?

Q

Comments (6)
    The vintage look was what we like - furniture with a story! the table fit a small kitchen nook in our last house. We’ve had the top refinished twice so it got lots of use. I see the wear / dirt marks on your table too where a person’s arms rest while reading the paper at table - just like we put on ours. The table top on yours looks in good shape. FYi, the entire top likely comes off - easier to move that way. Looks like yours has same design on chair backs & table legs so might be matched set. Here’s my table with one leaf pulled out. Ypu can see the beauty of the wood when refinished. That’s the appeal of old furniture for me - the wood!
    ...See More
  • mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay, yes, so that's what is coming to mind first and foremost for me as a choice. I thought you meant something different (chunkier, more modern) when you said double pedestal. I'm not a huge fan of parson's chairs and I have a young child so... fingerprints and stains! I think I prefer to go with all wood or metal, maybe I'll get some nice slipcovers for parties, holidays, etc. All wood will get too woody though, I see your point on parson's as an option.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Martha! I love 30s mahogany sets but if you look at the pic I posted which has previous owner's set, you can see what that looks like in the room. I think it makes the room/house feel too much like a museum and I love strong contrast in interior design and want a modern/hip undercurrent. I just can't seem to find a good chair match for the double pedestal table.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, at least you are all concurring on the Duncan Phyfe table... that tells me I'm in the right direction with that. If anyone has any other great mod chair pairings for that style table, let me know. Thank you all very much for your input!

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay, here's some craziness... pair the DF table with these chairs:

Like? No Like?

• kswl2
    7 years ago

Don't like.

Look at the Carrington Court website for Parson's chair ideas. You can use your own fabric or select one of theirs and have it scotguarded at the factory. You can get a print or fabric that doesn't attract dirt or fingerprints, or you can order the chairs with slipcovers that can be washed or dry leaned.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah, me neither. Found this article on apartmentthherapy, but not loving any of the chairs in the pics... but you can see that this idea does work:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/old-new-pairing-antique-dining-tables-with-contemporary-chairs-170137

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And thanks for the tip on CC chairs. I'm actually liking some of those parson's chairs, and love that it's US made :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Sorry, but I think there are about two out of the ten in that AT article that don't look entirely random, like you've got more guests than expected and had to pull in any chair from anywhere to accommodate everyone.

mamaborne thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha, I agree but I think the ones that *do* work, work well. I'm just not loving the parson's chair idea. It works but... I'm kind of over parson's chairs. There must be something that would work and not be matchy-matchy.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Or maybe parson's chairs on the ends only.

• Kippy
    7 years ago

I found my Duncan Phyfe style table on craigslist. I think I paid $20 for it? but that might be too high. I did have to make a glue repair to one leg and painted out the base and restained the top. I love it. But I would go with different chairs, but not those plastic things. I feel sweaty just thinking about sitting on one and can only imagine the sounds that a sweaty rear end might make........

mamaborne thanked Kippy
  • mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL! True dat, Kippy. I've nixed that idea already. I did find this on Houzz though, hoping to find some inspiration here:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/dining/query/mixing-antique-and-modern/p/24

At least I've the got the table down. Hoping I can find something as good as your deal! How did you paint the base? So is the top stained wood and the bottom is painted wood? That could possibly be very cool...

• Kippy
    7 years ago

I just sanded the finish, primed it good and then painted (of course in my usual swiss coffee white-matte finish I think) I know I will be touching up the white, but not a big deal to me. I might have a photo, I will check my phone and post if I do. But the rest of the room might look like a construction disaster

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Please post! It's a very interesting idea, thank you for sharing. I like the idea of painting the pedestals, then you get away from that overly woody/museum feel I'm trying to avoid.

• Fori
    7 years ago

You have a little kid? It's not gonna look like a museum! :)

The nice thing about vintage dining tables is that they are cheap. You can experiment without much investment.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

You have bought a very traditional pre-war house. If the rest is as lovely as the fining room, then you have a gorgeous house.

You can make the room feel less dated with your wall color. A dove gray with white woodwork would be stunning. Buy a good quality Duncan Phyfe dining room table. This house deserves better that Craig's List. Have little tie-on covers made for the dining room chair seats - use a washable fabric. Then, instead of an oriental rug, use sea grass on the floor. That will take down the formality a notch. Choose a fabulous color for silk curtains. Have simple ones made, hung from rings on a decorative rod. My own daughter did this in the house they bought when she was 25. The sea grass rug gas survived two boys who are now 16 and almost 14!

Remember, antiques don't make a room dated and stuffy: people do that! Enjoy your beautiful room and use it for great dinner parties with interesting and entertaining guests!

• Gooster
    7 years ago

I have a 1930s home and in our (relocated) relocated dining room, I paired some Carrington Court host chairs (Litchfield) with my older double pedestal table (but kept the traditional side chairs).

Another suggestion would be to try Chinese Chippendale chairs

Hillsborough Family Home · More Info

Or you could go with more of a transitional wood chair

• Kippy
    7 years ago

My cheap Craigslist Duncan Phyfe style table. In a 1900 house

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I don't know about your area Suzanne, but in mine in the Midwest there are gorgeous dining room sets for sale in pristine condition. Lots of times folks are downsizing or moving and sell very high quality stuff. Of course it does take some looking.

Mamaborne, I have a couple of questions. Is that your stuff on the walls, tables and mantle, or the previous owners? How about the rug, is that yours? Do you LIKE the Duncan Fife style table? I don't know for sure, but it sounds to me like you like a modern style. If that was the case and I was just moving into the home and decorating, I would put modern art and accessories in the room, buy a modern rug and get a modern table and get a cool modern lamp. I don't think mixing and matching antique with modern will look good in that room. Do you like the look of mixing and matching modern and antique? I'm not a fan of it in most cases, with some notable exceptions. Seems like in your case, because the lines of the house are so traditional, the mixing would just look like you couldn't decide which way to go. The only thing that might seem odd is if you have antiques in the rest of the house, or put some frou frou Victorian wallpaper in the room. Just don't create a wall of mirrors, like my friend inherited in her 1880's farmhouse before they redid it. :)

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Here's one from my local Craig's List. Neon light up dining, wouldn't the kids LOVE that one? You'd have to really commit to making that table work, lol! But then there's examples of another couple of ones that look kid friendly.

Edited to add that the neon table was a joke. I like the chairs though. I actually like the idea of a glass table with those kind of chairs, but not that style, I couldn't deal with the disco dining . . .

• kswl2
    7 years ago

No idea where you are located but if you're in the northeast, Stenella is a good place to look for vintage, antique and new fine furniture.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I second the recommendation for Stenella. Location isn't really an issue because they have many carriers that will deliver. They have an eBay store so people from all over purchase there. The used items listed are better than new furniture, and like kswl mentions they also carry new that is high quality.

• DYH
    7 years ago

Gorgeous room!

I love the DF table idea.

Chairs like this are interesting.

Lincoln Park - 1922 N. Dayton · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

Gorgeous room. I hadn't even looked at the responses and found these pics which I now see match several other opinions (great minds think alike!). I think something like this would be perfect, chairs optional of course

• kswl2
    7 years ago

Holly Kay, I am not sure I'd be able to buy big pieces of furniture without running my hand over the wood, lol, that is why I mentioned geographic location. If the OP wants to see a really wide selection of what's available, Stenella would be a great field trip.

These chairs are also more modern, although considerably more pricey than a parson's chair, which I thought might be more family friendly in view of the OP's comments.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

What's the rest of your house going to look like? If what you are talking about in the dining room is random compared to the rest of your decor, I'd reconsider your plan. Having some consistency in your furniture will suit the home better than rooms that are designed in a capsule.

etited to add, that dining room is seriously georgeous.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, love all this feedback, much appreciated everyone! I think I'm sold on the DF table. Enough consensus here on that and I love them, so got that squared away. For chairs... I'm now thinking buy a complete vintage set but reupholster the chairs in a very mod, bold print and then work the paint color/decor from there. Possibly paint the pedestal's per Kippy's pic (thanks, Kippy, I think your table looks wonderful and your chairs totally work with it too!) Possibly (skirted?) parson's chairs (in same bold print) on the ends. The rest of the room would be understated so as to not compete with the bold fabric. Anyone have thoughts on that?

For those asking: no, this room would not be a 'one-off'; I love mixing modern & vintage/antique but it has to be done well to pull it off. So the whole house would be in this style... eventually :)

And yes, the whole house is this gorgeous. The living room has mantelpiece that's even more beautiful, if you can believe it (!) Needs some cosmetic work here and there, but I have found, at last, the home of my dreams.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, nosoccermom!! Great pics. I think I know what I'm doing now. And agree with you on rug. Possibly as powerful as print on chairs but different.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Your dining room and house are outstandingly beautiful, and will be great fun to decorate in a more modern style that will still respect the beautiful architecture. I would begin with a wonderful rug, something in the style of nosoccermom's last picture just above. It should have a large, bold pattern, something more tribal, like a Kazak, and then you can use the colors in the rug to coordinate drapes, chair seats, etc. As far as art is concerned, a mix of traditional paintings and more modern ones would give the room added excitement and interest.

mamaborne thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Gooster
    7 years ago

@mamaborne -- sounds like you have settle on a good plan. It is what I ended up doing, after a similar thread. Took a traditional set, reupholstered in a bold print and added coordinating upholstered host/hostess chairs at the ends (still have not gotten a rug).

mamaborne thanked Gooster
  • mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, Gooster. I am excited to transform this house!

Thank you to all for the compliments and ideas. We are looking forward to home sweet home at last :)

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

True kswl, but oh my some of that wood is so warm and gorgeous I swear I can feel it with my eyes. I missed the perfect chest for my bedroom hallway from Stenella. It was absolutely perfection in every way. It was late at night so I decided to wait until morning, I got so busy the next morning I forgot to order first thing and when I finally got on to order it was gone with the wind. I was so sad. I have been looking ever since and not a thing works. I keep torturing myself looking and hoping.

• kswl2
    7 years ago

Here's hoping you find the perfect piece again, HK. I know what it's like to let something like that get away!

• Vertise
    7 years ago

google Phoebe Howard dining rooms. You'll see this furniture style used very elegantly in a more current way.

• User
    7 years ago

Lovely new home, congrats! Sounds like you're set with a good plan. Just wanted to add, since you're still considering Parsons chairs that I purchased 4 from CC for our sunroom. They are very comfortable. (Picture #11, if you're interested in seeing. The fabric was selected to work with toile fabric on curtains and antique wicker sofa.)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Do not rush! I know that is very hard not to do, but it's how expensive mistakes are made. Doing the kind of mix you want takes skill and a well-trained eye.

As far as finding the DF di I g room table, assuming you aren't going antique (very expensive), brands you should be looking for are Kendel, Biggs, Baker before 1980, preferably from their Stately Homes collection the did, Kittinger.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Do not rush! I know that is very hard not to do, but it's how expensive mistakes are made. Doing the kind of mix you want takes skill and a well-trained eye.

As far as finding the DF dining room table, assuming you aren't going antique (very expensive), brands you should be looking for are Kendel, Biggs, Baker before 1980, preferably from their Stately Homes collection the did, and Kittinger. The best of these are Kittinger and Biggs (usually found in VA as that is where it was made). There are online shops that specialize in these brands and they're not cheap, but they were beautifully made furniture, no polyurethane coatings, hand carving etc.. This is NOT furniture to paint or put tile on!

To help you train your eye, buy the British edition of House & Garden and World of Interiors. These magazines often show very old houses with some contemporary. They do this very well! I also highly recommend the two books LA designer Suzanne Rheinstein has done. Suzanne (a friend from my LA days) has a gifted eye and knows how to freshen up a classic, traditional house as she lives in one. Her daughter, Kate Brodsky, lives in NYC and her two apts have been featured in Elle Decor where she once worked. Kate Coughlin is a Boston area designer (and childhood friend of DD). She often does 30's era homes for her young contemporaries. She knows how to balance a respect for the architecture and a few antiques but keep it from looking like your grandmother's house. You'll find lots of their work online.

A great day example of doing this is Tory Burch's gorgeous NYC pre-war apt. Here is a picture of her LR.

Chintz (the most traditional Colefax & Fowler "Bowood"), those fabulous coral silk curtains, but floor pillows and comfortable furniture. There are lots more pictures of her apt online.

Learning to have a restrained hand is very valuable in decorating. One simply cannot have highly traditional, gorgeous millwork, a strong rug, two strong contemporary fabrics and contemporary art with bold colors, all in the same room. Oh, and painted legs on a beautiful mahogany DF table! One does that when ones budget for the room is $200 and the furniture is old junk of little value.

Please take your time and spend time learning how to do this. You have a gem of a house. Do it justice.

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

Go all the way with it. Get a gorgeous Duncan Phyfe set! Don't do anything to it except touch up scratches, upholstered new cushions and that's it. Do not paint it! You can accessorize with modern accents. Now you think that you want modern chairs, etc, but the longer you live in the house, the more it will tell what it wants. Let yourself get the feel of it before you do something drastic that you can't chg, like painting it, etc. You will find that you can't duplicate the quality of those sets today. You will came to appreciate it the way it was made to be. They can last for generations with the right care. Enjoy your new home. Lucky you!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

I agree with the last couple of posters. Take a look at your lovely photo. Now imagine it with modern art, fewer tchotkes, modern tableware, new seats on the chairs. It would still be the same room but very much more in keeping with current trends. It really wouldn't take that much to make it look up to date.

A lot of the formal quality in the photo comes from the art and from the extreme symmetry of the table decor. Personally I would greatly prefer that, but if you like to be more à la page, it doesn't take drastic measures to get there, while still staying in harmony with the bones of the room.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The furniture and decor in the photo are not mine, fyi. I don't have a photo of the empty room.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Yes, sorry if I didn't make it clear that I understood that. I'm just saying that even with that very furniture it wouldn't take much to have an updated look and one in harmony with the bones of the house. Don't feel that you need to be extreme to look modern in that room. You'll get a more comfortably contemporary look if you let the room help you instead of working against it.

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't feel I need to be extreme. I'm not sure why people are commenting as such. Or that I'm going to ruin my beautiful new home. Or that I don't seem to understand just how good of house I have (believe me, I do - that's why we bought it, lol) It's kind of humorous, really. But thanks for your input :)

• Kippy
    7 years ago

The nice thing about cl for a df style table is if you are patient,, you can find them in all price ranges, leg/leaf styles and conditions. I have one that pulls out huge, but I don't like the leaf and legs and am using it for a large work desk right now (traded a now trendy trestle set table after I was tried of beating up my ankles on the trestle board from one end to the other) Buying one in poor condition made it easy for me to paint and change to what I wanted. I say go for what you like. My chairs were found at a thrift store for $40 and have needlepoint seats. I made slip covers. My elderly mom does better with lighter chairs but I have a pair of 60's upholstered chairs I use with it too (also slip covered)

• mamaborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, Kippy, seeing a huge range in prices. And I think painting is a great way to salvage vintage tables that are maybe too far gone for refinishing. Or maybe not higher end. Or even if they are. I'm a fan of rule-breaking when it comes to art and design and in the end, you have to do what makes you feel good in your own house. I certainly didn't buy it for the approval of others, nor will I decorate it that way. I love thrift store finds. Most modern future (unless super high end) is total junk (as I'm sure you know), so I prefer to buy mostly vintage. I have a 30s solid mahogany couch that I bought for $200 on CL. Had it completely refinished and reupholstered - it is gorgeous and is going to look amazing in our living room. I have years of decorating fun ahead of me :)

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

You can get total quality in solid wood these days for a song. Really amazes me how the older stuff is so much better with a little TLC than what you could buy new for twice the cost. But then I live in an antique mecca, but out in the boonies so prices are so much lower than what you would pay in the city. If you live in an economically depressed area (like I do) you would be amazed at the price differences. I love to re-purpose stuff, although I am obviously not going to ruin some really gorgeous wood by painting it, but a lot of mid range stuff has mid-range quality wood, so you could go either way with it and not loose out. I inherited a lot of painted solid wood stuff from my grandmother, and when you stripped it, it was the most gorgeous oak! Solid, not veneer like the 80's and 90's stuff. But grainy oak goes in and out of fashion, now it's out again. And so it goes.

• Bonnie
    7 years ago

What a beautiful dining room mamaborne! I think a Duncan Phyfe table OR a Chippendale mahogany table would be appropriate for the elegance of the room. If you want to go with more casual chairs, then that certainly is an option for now. Wallpaper would be a way to change the room and take it in a new direction. Will you be working with a designer on this project? I agree with those who say to take your time in choosing pieces for this room. I am a big fan of painted white antique furniture, but not in a room a refined as this one. If the rest of the house is as spectacular as this I can't wait to see more!

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I keep coming back to this thread and thinking about it because I am inheriting an old Queen Anne style dining room table and chair set from my mom. She got it around 1972. It's Harden, which is a middle of the road company. I never liked it, but it went with the style of our old 1890's house and mom's taste. It's solid cherry wood, which you will not see the likes of nowdays. The top is gorgeous, because mom always used a tablecloth and table mat on it. First I thought to sell it and buy something more to my taste, like Mission or Arts and Crafts, Art Deco, Danish Modern . . . but it's such good quality and free, so I'm learning to like it. I don't like its darkness, but that can be adjusted by using a tablecloth, runner and placemats or chargers. Many ways to change the look of the dining room that way, which is what you will get with a classic piece. Also the chairs can be recovered (they are actually lime green velvet if you can believe it, thank you MCM influence!) or I can even invest in complete, washable slipcovers for them if I want. My friends had a DF repro table (probably from the 30's or 40's) that they got from someone who died and donated the contents of his house to a nonprofit where they worked. They used it for so many years as the family dining table, game table, homework station and craft center. When they finally splurged for something new and Mission style because the old one was just too rickety and couldn't be fixed, their daughter pitched a fit she loved that table so much. It now resides in the basement where it still serves a laundry folding, crafting function. My point is, something well made and classic can be worked with in so many ways! It will be fun to see what you come up with!

As you may be aware, the used market is now overrun with boomer downsizing stuff that gen X'ers and millennials don't want, (yuck, antiques lol!) so you can get just about anything you would want for a dining room, including the table accoutrements, for a song. I say "lol" because back in the ACTUAL mid century, my mom picked up many of the "antiques" in our home for a song back then too, for the same reason, minimalist was in and antiques were out, particularly large things, and we had a big house with 12 foot ceilings so she literally paid pennies on the dollar for certain pieces. Friends from the "big city" would visit and marvel at what she paid for the stuff at auction. I vividly remember going to some VERY out of the way places to auctions with her.