SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joebaske

Landscaping to Link/Break up 1930's with '80's additions

Old Longhouse
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Howdy Landscape Lovers:,

Purchasing this big, beautiful, but extremely boxy home in Stamford, CT. Needed a larger, home with ground floor bedroom so me elderly mom could come stay. This vast updated place is in sore need of landscaping. Plan to live here for the long term and and figure I'd start with the front.

Home is Zone 6A, and the front gets plenty of afternoon sun exposure.

Non pro, me the home owner, would be doing the work. Plenty of planting experience but none with masonry.

Thanks,

Joe

Front of house as it currently exists: Would love some ideas on plantings to break up the extreme length of the home. The original home (1930 colonial on the right of the image) is lovely and figure to put taller shrubs at its corners...ideas? Also would like something between the giant box-o-garage and the rest of the house...another tree, a trellis, low wall with fence? Current plantings are just a patchwork of holly and a some other small shrubs. All ideas appreciated.

Side Yard to right of home if your facing the front

Have small kids and this will be a great yard for play and family get togethers. Would love some some sort of screening since there is a sight line to a moderately busy intersection down a 500ft slope. Fence is obvious choice but since home is already so long, and it would come off front corner that would only further increase the visual length of home..hmm any ideas? Partial Sun/Partial shade. Considering a deer fence around property.

Back patio: thinking a rock garden along the slope above the stone wall. Mostly Sunny: ideas?

Left Side Yard: a steep slop ending in a low, old stacked wall (slope similar to back..but size of right side yard)

Would love to make this low maintenance so I don't need to mow the slope, and also would love to plant some fruit trees. ..lots of sun. Low juniper is also and idea with lots of mulch... sorry no pic yet..but would love some ideas

Comments (9)