SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cannb22

Which replacement window and type of install should I choose?

Chelsea B
3 years ago

The more research on replacement windows I do, the more confused I get. I feel like I am getting farther from a decision, not closer to one. I am replacing all 18 windows on the main level of my 1950s raised ranch in the Midwest, which I plan to be in for decades, so I want windows that will last for the long haul. I am mostly replacing with sliders/gliders and a few awnings. Some companies don't make a large enough slider for our big front window, so will potentially do three oriel double-hung windows in that opening. I want black exterior (and potentially interior...but my husband thinks the interior black is a fad so wants white inside). After reading and hearing a lot of options, I think I would prefer a full frame install to get overall cleaner lines versus a pocket style, and to make sure any existing wood rot in current windows is disposed of and replaced.

Here are the quotes I've gotten and some of my thoughts. Any advice or help would be wonderful!

• Window World - ~$17.5k quote, includes black exterior finish and full frame install. They offer a lifetime warranty on windows and install, plus 10-year fade-free warranty on black finish, which has me really intrigued even though I've read that their quality is inferior. My biggest worry with them is that I don't want my windows to look 'cheap' or not function efficiently.
  • America's Best Windows - ~$14.1k quote for Lindsay brand windows (I cannot find anything about them online), includes black exterior finish and full frame install. Similar warranties to Window World. I'm most worried that I don't know much about this product and not sure about the Warranty coverage if the local shop shuts down, they said manufacturer covers, but I wish they had a website and more official paperwork explaining it, my sales guy has not been as forthcoming as I'd like.
  • Andersen 100 Series - ~$17.6k quote, including black exterior and full frame install. Warranty 10 yr parts/20 yr glass/1 yr labor. I worry because it is a local vendor doing the labor, and worry it could be a he said/she said game if there is an issue. However, I like the idea of having the Andersen brand windows.
  • Pella Impervia - ~$23.6k quote, including black exterior and pocket install. Warranty 10 yr parts/20 yr glass/2 yr labor. Same worries as above with the labor, though I feel better that it is being sold to me directly from Pella and it uses their certified contractors. That said, I am not wild about pocket install and am annoyed that the sales guy tried to talk me out of it to be able to quote me a 'lower' price. I like all their financing options, but steering away from them for their sales tactics and what I've read on here about Pella.
  • Marvin - have not had a quote from them yet, but planning on getting one based on what I've read here. Similar issue with a local vendor that you purchase and get installation from though...will have to see what their warranty options are.

I really like what I've read about Andersen's windows and would go in that direction, but I am worried about the shorter warranties and only having one local company that is certified to install them as my option.

Any thoughts or advice based on my options above? Anyone have GOOD experiences with Window World and/or America's Best Windows and satisfied with their quality?

Comments (16)