SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kktalker

What type of flooring should I install?

U P
6 years ago

We are getting ready to tile our kitchen/eating/living room (700sf) and the rest of our common areas (1200sf). I would like to replace the common area laminate because it is bubbling up anywhere water gets spilled on it. We have no plans to move soon, but selling is a possibility in the next five years, so resale is an important consideration. The home is upscale for our city (but not "million dollar"). We live in the southwest (mild winters, blazing hot summers) where tile is very common. I have five young children, some with behavioral special needs, which means our home takes a beating.

The flooring in the kitchen/eating/living room needs to be extremely waterproof and durable, because it gets dirt dumped on it from the backyard access, scrapes from bicycles and assorted toys, and water poured on it numerous times a day. It needs to coordinate with the white cabinets and brown quartz countertops in the kitchen and the stone fireplace wall in the living room (see pictures). Unless you can show me another upscale, indestructible type of flooring, it will need to be tile. Bonus points if the flooring has enough variation to hide food messes between moppings (lol) and is easy to clean.

The flooring in the rest of the common areas should either be tile, or possibly a really tough engineered wood. I am still leery of wood, because I am concerned my kids will destroy it. Bonus points if I can use the same flooring as in the kitchen/eating/living room.

What flooring would you recommend?

Here are some pictures.

Living room stone wall (adjoining kitchen):

Kitchen will have white cabinets and brown countertops that match these:

Our entryway as-is with the existing laminate that is deteriorating (BTW, all the walls in the common areas are getting painted a clean beige):

A close-up of the existing laminate:

Comments (40)