SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess_barrett55

What type of chimney damper should I install?

Jess Barrett
4 years ago

So our fireplaces are super drafty. Our upstairs fireplace has a working throat damper, and our basement one no longer has a damper as it rusted out. I want to install chimney dampers on both of them but I'm curious if anybody has any recommendations on which damper to get. It seems like Chim-a-lator seems like one of the best brands but man are they expensive. Also for a few years I had capped the chimney off to help with the drafts, but then we started to get more musty smells out of the upstairs fireplace. We had a guy come out as I assumed we had something on our smokeshelf smelling things up but he told me it was from having the chimney capped and took the cover off and it seems like helped with the smell.

So I'm a little hestitant to get one that can't be opened a bit for air movement like the style that doesn't come with a raincap like this Leymance model can only be either open or closed, no inbetween. So because of the smell issue I'm wondering if the Popup style would work better for us and One brand that seems more reasonable in price is one like this Lock-Top model. Does anyone have any experience with any of these dampers or what brands and models would you recommend.

Also wondering if I did install one is it acceptable to just leave the throat damper open to allow the cable through or does the old throat damper have to be removed, cause I ain't doing that lol ;)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio