SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyeh3112

Improperly installed floors. What should I do?

jyeh3112
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all, in a bit of a pickle with my general contractor. She arranged for his flooring subs to install engineered hardwood floor for us as well as stairs for our home. A portion of the floor is floating on a concrete subfloor, and a portion is on wood subfloor.

Before the subs installed, they pointed out that our concrete subfloor was not level and we needed to pay them extra to level it first before they installed the floors. We agreed.

The installed happened, and we've now run into two huge issues:

1. The floor is not level. Many areas of the floating floor are 7/32" depressed in a 6' span. The standard required threshold is 1/8", so they did not meet that. You can feel the dips and bounce as you walk over these areas.

2. The stairs are completely not matching the rest of the floor. They did not build the stairs out of the engineered planks and bullnose, nor did they stain unfinished wood to match. Instead they just bought "close enough" color wood, but it completely doesn't match.

I am now in a battle trying to figure out what I should do. My general contractor is demanding payment, saying she already paid the sub. I am not comfortable paying for this improperly done work.

Am I in the right here? Do i have a case? Or am I being too picky?

Comments (7)