SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Bad install fiberglass tub - what should I do?

bardzil
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Plumbers installed a fiberglass tub in one of our bathrooms. There are several issues -

1. Tub was not centered in alcove. The tub is 60” long and alcove rough framing is 61.5”. The tub was installed flush to the framing on one side with a 1.5” gap on the other side. I had specifically discussed with our contractor that tub should be cent

ered. Please advise if I am overreacting here. Will tub look fine off center like this?

2. The installers chipped the fiberglass in two places. There is a chip on the bottom right of the front apron (about 7/8” in diameter) and a chip on the upper tile flange where they installed screws to hold the tub in place (see photo). My question - even though these chips may be hidden with floor/wall tile, could the chip grow or lead to a crack in the fiberglass over time? Should we either have these chips repaired or replace tub before tiling? It would be a major problem if a crack develops after the bathroom is finished as we’d have to demo tile and remove door to get the tub out.

thanks

julia

Comments (20)