SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beanie34_gw

help! new concrete stairs improperly installed

beanie34
16 years ago

... by the professional masonry company I hired. I was hoping someone could tell me what is considered a reasonable tolerance for differences in riser height. I asked for a new concrete stair leading from a patio down to a back lawn to replace a set of slippery old wooden ones. The guys built the forms in a short-cut way that I didn't think was quite right, the supervisor didn't think was the way he'd do it, but he assured me they'd level off the steps fine. I inspect the final product, 6 steps, and find they vary in rise by over 3 inches! randomly. from 4.5 to 7.5 inches high. the biggest problem in that there is a ~30-degree turn between steps 3&4, and a >2 inch difference between the rises, such that there's a sudden drop just where you release one railing and reach for the second, lower railing.

Please tell me if I'm being unreasonably picky at expecting the rises to be the same heights! What is reasonable to expect? 1/2 inch variation? anything if I'd wanted uneven steps I'd have done it myself! it's like they eyeballed it & didn't actually measure. sigh.

thanks for any info! I'd like to know what I'm talking about when I talk to them about this tomorrow...

beanie

Comments (19)