New packaging at the Grocery store

agmss15

Last week I went to the local garden center and stocked up on supplies for my myself and my mother and asked my nephew to pick the bulkier items. He couldn’t go for a few days and when he went the store gave him the entire order again. All of it was stuff I could use so I decided to keep it. I had to go in a pay for it so decided to do my grocery shopping as well. Now back at ground zero as far as exposure.

I haven’t been to the grocery store in over three weeks. Still lots of stuff missing. No TP or paper towels. There was hand sanitizer and at a not unobscene price.

Decent produce - I only bought onions, sweet potatoes, garlic, radishes, oranges and ginger. I have green stuff growing at home.

I did find limited pasta and dried beans and stocked up. And a large can of Olive Oil.

Mostly though I noticed familiar items in new packaging. Butter was in 1 pound blocks - in plastic wrapped wax paper and not a box. The plain greek yogurt I buy was in a different colored tub - it took me several moments to find it. I think there were some crackers and such in different boxes. Has anyone else noticed this? There were also oddly packaged items that maybe I would normally see in a highway rest stop store or maybe a pharmacy. Smaller overpriced packages. A lot more like an odd lot store.

It was the first time I had been to the store where they had reorganized the entrance/exit and put traffic flow arrows on the floor. There were two employees stationed at the doors sanitizing carts.

I also had to go to Walmart to get phone cards. There nothing much had changed other than the occasional customer with a mask. The customers seemed much less respectful of the distancing guidelines.

My last microgreen harvest - thanks again Sleevendog for the inspiration

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Different packaging might be from the wholesalers that usually delivery to restaurants. ALL of my packaging from our wholesaler is different, and even brands I've never heard of. (they started delivering to homes 5-6 weeks ago). They are breaking up case lots for home delivery. So guessing groceries are taking some of their stock.

I felt like I was in a foreign country when that first delivery arrived. And yes, my butter is a pound block. I tossed it in the freezer as a later back-up. Grrr when I just needed to take out just a 'stick' this morning, lol.

Nice tray of green! I just started a 5x7 tray each of Thai basil, cilantro, par-cel, arugula, etc. Fresh and more intense flavor at just a couple inches tall. But tend to be slow growing...4-6 weeks. Minor annoyance.

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

Butter here either comes in a paper wrapped one pound (500g) block or a half pound (250g). We’ve never had it come in a box with individually wrapped quarter pound sticks. To be honest, I couldn’t care less as I don’t find it much of a chore to quarter around myself.

I did notice some strange brands in our grocery store, some European brands I’ve never heard of before.

Save    
agmss15

1 Like Save    
plllog

Last Fall, at the local big chain supermarket which is a subsidiary of one of the biggest national chains, I saw kind of oddly shaped hunks of butter wrapped in plastic film. I don't remember the labelled size. Maybe a pound, maybe more. The odd shape might actually have been from a mold, but could have been from having been cut straight but melted a little and become misshapen. I don't remember it being significantly less expensive than standard packaging, but I was looking for something else when I checked the label, and might misremember the price.

Save    
Jasdip

Like Colleen, our butter is sold in 1-lb blocks. We 'can' buy butter in sticks but at a premium price. I slice it into 1/4 cup slices, the markings are on the box, so 8 slices which is then individually wrapped and frozen.

Save    
agmss15

Interesting. I have lived in several states. In my experience butter is usually in 1/4 lb sticks in packages of 2 and 4. I tend to buy middle of the road brands - nothing super fancy. No big deal to cut up the pound.

There were other products in different containers. I didn’t pay as much attention because they weren’t things I needed.

I did score two bottles of hand sanitizer although I have been making my own. I brought one to my mom as well as a hunk of halvah - a childhood favorite . My mom remembers pooling her money with a friend to buy their $.67 of halvah as a child.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

we can buy 1 lb packs of butter here ... lump or in quarters, salted or no salt ...

1 Like Save    
annie1992

I can buy one pound squares of butter here too, as well as sticks in boxes of 2 or 4, and larger "rolls" of Amish butter in paper, or 1/2 pound blocks wrapped in foil, mostly of the European stuff. It all works.

Annie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fall and Thanksgiving Style Recipe: Mantel Decor From the Grocery Store
Create a quick and colorful fall display using artichokes, clementines and cabbage
Full Story
Crafts Small-Business Savvy: Personalize Your Packaging
Leave boring boxes to the big stores. Creative, personalized packaging sends a message to customers that you care
Full Story
Kitchen Storage 16 Ways to Store Your Herbs and Spices
From super neat and organized to surprisingly artistic, there’s a seasoning-stashing solution for everyone
Full Story