Unusual sandwich filling

laceyvail 6A, WV

I kept meaning to post this on the sandwich thread, but then it got long and somewhat old, so I'm making a separate post. I found this in a recent issue of Bon Appetit. Easy to tweak vegetarian or vegan too.

Chickpea Sandwich filling

Rinse and drain one can of chickpeas and roughly smash 75% of them. Leave some intact, but mashing most helps hold the sandwich together.

Then mix in the other ingredients, one or two from each category.

• Something briny/acidic: capers, pepperoncini, half-sour pickles; in a pinch, a lot of lemon juice
  • Something punchy/sharp: sliced scallions, grated garlic, flaked smoke trout or salmon, harissa, a lot of red pepper flakes
  • Something creamy/rich: Greek yogurt, tahini, mayo, Dijon mustard, left-over green goddess or tahini ranch, drizzle of olive oil and adjust as needed with salt and pepper.

I like this so much that it's become a go-to.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agmss15

I kind of do that myself. I like the recipe - it encourages experimenting. I have meat in my freezer but I seem to be depending on beans, cheese and eggs for protein. I have made baked beans twice, pasta and beans are a favorite, beans on salad and beans in sandwiches or tortillas.

Save    
plllog

Chickpeas, capers, fish and green goddess? I'd rather make something traditional with my hummus (chickpeas). :)

I did make an unusual sandwich yesterday, however. I had a small piece of raw sirloin that needed using, but nothing I wanted to use it in, so I sliced it fairly thin, seared it well in cast iron, then stirred the strips around with some Jack Daniels bbq sauce that has been hanging out in the fridge as long as I can remember (it doesn't even have the courtesy to grow fuzz (too much sugar) so I can throw it out). It made a nice quickie glaze to the meat. Meantime, I heated up a matching portion of Mollie Stevens's World's Best Braised Cabbage (just regular cabbage wedges with onion and carrot, EVOO, stock, S&P and red pepper flakes, and it's as good as its billed). Piled between a couple slices of herb bread and steamed just a bit to meld the flavors, and it was perfect. Very weird to think about, but delicious. :) Worth repeating if one has the bits and pieces.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

With the right ingredients that almost sounds like a bean dip for crostini's that I make. DH loves it, and I have to admit, I do too. No fish in it though, ha! I think it has shallots. It would be good as a sandwich spread. No creamy ingredient, but olive oil, of course, which I consider creamy. Creamy sounds fine, as I put mayo on sammies, burger buns, and even hot dogs. And bacon egg sandwiches.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Fish is completely optional. First two times I made I didn't use any fish.

Save    
plllog

Lemon, garlic and techinah and you have classic hummus salad.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

What is techinah?

Save    
plllog

Sesame paste. :) I usually forget to write it as "tahini", which I've never heard an Arabic speaker say, but there are so many different ways of speaking Arabic, I'm sure someone somewhere does. Techinah is the way it's said among my Hebrew speaking community. I think it used to be spelled that way on the Syrian can, too (though that may be down to the importers). Apologies, though. I do know that the current accepted English spelling (and from there, pronunciation) is "tahini", but I forget to use it, especially late in the evening.

The recipe for actual (not altered to taste) hummus salad is chickpeas, sesame paste (however you spell it), lemon juice, garlic and a garnish of olive oil. Hot water to adjust consistency, if needed. All those are in your framework, including the drizzle of olive oil. In fact, in the light of morning, I think the whole framework is probably based on not having the ingredients for hummus salad and breaking it down into functions, then substituting whatever random ingredients one has that can kind of fill the roles. Except maybe for the fish, which is really weird, given your endorsement, I'd say the concept works.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Storage 10 Unusual Things to Store on Your Walls
Running low on storage space? Your walls may hold the answer
Full Story
Decorating Guides 10 Unusual Places for Christmas Stockings
No fireplace shouldn't mean no stocking stuffers — these alternative spots for socks work in any kind of home
Full Story
Decorating Projects Fill a Blank Wall on a Beer Budget
Tap your fabric bin, photo box or any kid for art that’s easy, personal and hecka cheap
Full Story
MacAnson Construction is a family business with the unique ability to be both the designer & builder. Our goal is... Read More
If you are looking to build a deck, pergola or screen porch, look no further. Signature Deck & Pergola Co. has... Read More