SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

I WON THE LOTTERY!

bragu_DSM 5
4 years ago

TP and ground beef and flour!

Just kidding, it apparently was a dream ...

Comments (41)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Who knew that many people made spagetti, meatloaf, and hamburgers. Baked bread, and pooped that much, lol.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Bragu - heh heh heh!! That would be winning big-time indeed!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • Related Discussions

Feel like I won the lottery

Q

Comments (6)
    I go to my Step Mother In Law's house all the time and I leave with garbage bags full of plants...even though I have no more room! She just wants to thin out her plants but she is so generous. Gosh, I love these people! She basically has landscaped my whole yard. We had to add a new garden this year because of what she has been giving us. These people are the ones to know. Maybe I will be one of those people soon!
    ...See More

I just know our southern ponders love this!

Q

Comments (4)
    "IS IT COLD ENOUGH FOR YA?" Yes. Yes it is! Nothing to compare to your -19°F but it's enough for me. I don't know just *how* cold it got here last night but two windows shattered on the breezeway! They were Hurd® double pane windows and in since 1995. Some condensation was between the panes yesterday and today Mike and bro.-in-law are going to fix them. Tiz be a big ZERO degrees right now and the outside birds have come for breakfast. I gonna go and put on the suntan oil and bask in that hot Ohio sun! Flip me over in about a half hour. LOL! C3D and 2 broken windows
    ...See More

If I won the lottery...what would you do?

Q

Comments (15)
    If YOU won the lottery, I'd congratulate you and secretly feel jealous and bitter :) Absolutely, I agree, just how I was going to respond! But I'd probably add a few expletives under my breath because it wasn't me :-) :-( Right now, I'd move if I won the Lottery. It's the GrandPrix which means for my nextdoor neighbor, the kick-off of his annual, "AC/DC 3-Day Music Festival". Only, he started TODAY at 11:00am! SPF - The guest bedroom is open, bring your laptop and get your work done up here. I know, I know, the cats! You can always go feed and check on them.... Tom
    ...See More

Tandem quilt winner

Q

Comments (7)
    I agree with Sharon, you share your talent with everyone! I don't know when you find the time to sleep. Anyone would be thrilled to have one of your beautiful quilts, but doesn't it make you feel good for someone express it? Rosa
    ...See More
  • plllog
    4 years ago

I keep thinking Vladimir Putin and a bunch of others in his area are laughing their behinds off at us, standing in line for toilet paper like any good Soviet. :)

bragu_DSM 5 thanked plllog
  • cooper8828
    4 years ago

I got eggs last week and also felt like I had won the lottery!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked cooper8828
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

Clorox wipes here!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked arkansas girl
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Got flour at TJ's! Wipes are still hard to find, but not much of a problem with anything else. Even TP is getting easier.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    4 years ago

I got two King Arthur 5 pounds bags of flour and was jumping up and down! Waiting to see if I can find yeast. I like the SAF instant but can't find it on line. Might have to settle for Fleischmann's active yeast. That should be okay.

Our Costco shopper managed to find a giganto bottle of hand sanitizer there! She was more excited than we were so I told her to throw one in the cart - lol.

• foodonastump
    4 years ago

Things had been a bit better here but my last shopping trip was dismal. I hope it was just because of the holidays.

Picked up a curbside order for my parents, and I’m not thrilled with the service. A more expensive grocer already, they made sure to give me the most expensive options. $7 for a half gallon of milk?! Hope that cow got to go to the day spa after her day’s work.

Not happy about Smithfield’s meat warning. Time to load up the freezer again, but not shopping yet due to a big wind and rain storm. Would hate to stock up only to have a power outage and lose more than I’ve already got.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Yeah we heard about Smithfield this morning. Warning about meat shortages but the plant affected produces only about 4 - 5% of their products. Sounds like an engineered shortage to us. But you know everyone has probably already run to the stores and cleaned out the meat cases. DOH!!!

• arkansas girl
    4 years ago

Not that this has anything to do with cooking but my friend has been mailing his relatives TP! HA! They have not been able to get any at all. We have been able to buy some here in Ohio.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

Weather is horrid. I like the heavy rain to keep people inside but the winds are wild. I was out on the deck early this morning. A big tree came down fortunately fell away from the home and cars. Got a text about power outages, grrr.

Set up a local CSA for my parents and sent them Alaskan salmon. Both a few weeks ago. Sent them a gift box from Misfits but just one trial. They loved it but didn't know what half of it was. (that was a long phone call, lol) Their local CSA will be better for them.

Amazon does have some things listing re-stocking dates. Some are just a week or two away. Ordered my favorite Bob'sRM corn meal, a 3 pack so I don't need to skimp on my precious 1/2 lb left.

Just a pound of butter in the freezer and and tid-bits in the kitchen fridge but we don't use much usually.

Not sure if this will stretch across the country like the NY area, but best to prep ahead. (I am 100% sure it will hit every community).

Still shopping in stores? (no way am i) ...all are curb-side only, or delivery, but NO slots open anywhere. I suggest to not get complacent or comfortable.

Shop high value, no bones to take up space in your freezer. Get as much cryo-vacked as possible. Fridge space...toss out the old stuff and fill with maybe a small ham or turkey breast.

Stay safe, stay home.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

I got lucky, won the lottery week before last... 10 lbs AP and 10 lbs Bread flours. A pack of 48 rolls Angel Soft TP, 1 lbs ground beef (asked for more but nope). And potatoes. Haven't seen those prior - plus they were really nice ones too! I felt so lucky!

I opted out of grocery curbside or any form last week. I'm thinking I might try this week. I got frustrated because hardly anyone here uses curbside, they all just saunter in, no mask, no gloves. Not a care in the world... so why did my curbside say 3:00 at the earliest? I was texted at 1:30 to say my groceries were ready - but I couldn't get away then. They put cold items in bins. Just bins. No ice. Eggs, milk, frozen foods. Everything had thawed, not even cool. I was not happy about that. They said they were just so busy inside. The store was packed (I could see through the windows). From now on, early pickup. That way, no cold food getting warm/ruined.

We've gone through our freezer prep faster than I anticipated. That is worrisome to me, as our freezer seemed full. We do have red meat. Lucky there, as I picked up sales before all this.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

chloebud

an auto parts store for wipes? If there is one in your general vicinity ...

ETA

goop hand cleaner too ....

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

foas ... try Omaha steaks

• chloebud
    4 years ago

bragu, lots of auto parts stores around...thanks!

• fillmoe
    4 years ago

I'm feeling a little smug, because before the pandemic hit, I met with my Spanish Meet-up group, who laughed at me when I told them I shop at Costco. They specifically hooted about the toilet paper. Well . . . .

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

DH called from the city tonight: he had stopped at a grocery on his way home from work. Did I want yeast? We’ve both been looking for yeast for three or four weeks now. They had quite a bit so I got him to buy two one pound packets. Yay! I have some bread recipes I want to try :-)

The store also had Self Rising flour so now I have four pounds, but I didn’t think I could store or use in time 25 pounds of all-purpose flour, which was the only size they had.

I can only think the regulars at that particular grocery don’t bake.

Isn’t it amazing what small things can give us great delight?

bragu_DSM 5 thanked colleenoz
  • bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

man, it's like winning the lottery ...

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

Sure is! We already won the TP lottery so I'm leaving that to others :-)

4 years ago

haha. Just got a text from a friend as we are all checking in...

"were are doing great, except for rinsing and drying coffee filter for t-p"

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

brilliant, that's after you use it for a mask, right?

• shambo
    4 years ago

I successfully ordered some disinfectant cleaner spray a couple of hours ago. I’m still worried about running out of alcohol but have had no luck finding it anywhere.

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

My friend scored Bounty Paper Towels at Costco for me today! HOORAY! Yesterday I started Instacart for Costco and tried to get Kirkland Paper towels. Not a first choice, but no matter, they were all out. So excited today for my friend's haul! My grocer today was selling individually wrapped Scott TP, one to a customer. I bought some for my friend. Hey, pay it forward, right?

• annie1992
    4 years ago

OK, the BIG jackpot came today. A box containing a 50 pound bag of bread flour. Yeah, 50 pounds, LOL. I've tried a couple of people I know, thinking they'd want to share, but they do not, so I'll be making lots of bagels and brioche, pizza and pretzels, cinnamon rolls and challah. That ought to keep me out of trouble for a while.

Elery found toilet paper at the local Family Farm and Home, they got a shipment a week ago and they still have some, right by the front door. I don't need any, but they have it!

Annie

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

a box of facial tissues and YEAST!

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

I got a whole chicken. Woohoo!

4 years ago

a box of facial tissues and YEAST!

lol, I chuckle now...but when I run out it will be plan B.

My local farm share came this morning...a few weeks late. Fine, but we were all out of beef. (ground we have plenty).

So well packed, no prep, straight into the freezer. Short ribs thawing for Saturday.

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

If you're in need of TP check out quiltednorthern.com. they're selling direct!

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

@shambo do you have a Target nearby? They and maybe Walgreens are selling a brand of spray called Microban. Our Target has had both the regular spray and the bathroom spray. if you do a pick up order that might work. The bathroom spray seemed to be less in demand.

4 years ago

Crazy to thinks one might need to order t-p on-line...the new normal I suppose.

• plllog
    4 years ago

Thank-you Compumom! I've been thinking about looking into something like that, but we have enough for several weeks still. If you get a chance send me a private message.

My father used to buy household papergoods by the crate. It just made more sense to him rather than hauling in more all the time, so I guess ordering it makes sense to me. Not to put distributors and stockers out of work, but they're spending their time cleaning now. :)

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

I've been getting TP and paper towels by the carton for months from Amazon. I signed up for the auto-ship program for both. It's nice because if I am still relatively stocked when the next shipment is coming up, I can postpone and conversely if I look like I might come up short I can (normally) get it a month earlier if I notice in time. I do the same with laundry & cleaning supplies.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Curbside pickup this morning... Apparently there's been a run on potato chips (DH is in the den, having a moment of mourning), and still no beans or quinoa. But... 1.5 oz of 70% alcohol. I can't believe it!

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

Got a bag of dried black beans at the store on Wed. Nice, since I'm almost out again. We eat a lot of beans here.. And Rancho Gordo is low or out of all my faves, so I'm using my supply of those sparingly.

I do wonder though about the dry beans running out. If the folks getting them really cook dry beans a lot like I do.. or just getting them because they are a protein that is supposed to last forever on the shelf. The tinned dry beans were still fully stocked.

Oh, and the store had just gotten in bone in chicken thighs and they were on sale to boot!

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

We have the technology to share our excitement in finding toilet tissue, paper towels, and disinfectant. Something seems off here...

4 years ago

...doing a happy dance when I scored three rolls with a food delivery...so bizarre.

(I have a stack of corn tortillas, thin sliced potato and sweet potatoes, golden beets,...all soaking in salt water to make oven chips. And big batch of garbanzos on the stovetop for humus, some I'll roast, and some for a cauliflower dish)

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

...the new normal I suppose

This CANNOT be allowed to become the new normal. Period. This power grab by the world health org, google, u-tube, the government ... mayors ... states .. and congress cannot be tolerated in the long run.

Oh, "get an essential job if you don't like it" ... thanks ventilator man.

• plllog
    4 years ago

Yesterday afternoon I scored a 1-2 hr. Instacart window...and I had to decline! I've been preparing my grocery order ahead, because last time it was five days. Longer with WF/Amazon. I don't need it now, don't want perishables to perish, and don't have room for them anyway. I'm trying to get the fridge unstuffed not overstuffed. Okay. That sounds like I'm complaining. I'm not! No one is pushing me to place my order before I'm ready. It's just the passing of opportunity for something that used to be normal... And just wait. By next week, we'll be back to five days out...

• arkansas girl
    4 years ago

bragu, I find it terrifying the total power they have over us right now! We should all be afraid...be very afraid!

• annie1992
    4 years ago

2many, here the restrictions have been loosened, the nurseries and greenhouses are opening and "non essential" businesses are opening for curbside service. Garden centers are opening and the fishermen are happy because motorized boating is allowed again, as well as golfing, as long as the 6 foot distance is reserved. No carts allowed, ticked a bunch of guys right off, we wouldn't want to actually get some exercise while golfing, now would we? (grin) There is a mandate that all people who can medically do so safely wear face masks. There is no criminal penalty, the police will not enforce, etc., BUT businesses can refuse to do business with you unless you wear your mask. Grocery stores can refuse to let you enter, etc.

"They" have little to no power over me in this instance, I'm happy here at home and seldom need to go anywhere, I just want to stay here and play in the dirt. I've been admiring my new baby laying hens, starting my garden plants, taking care of mother who is here with me for a while, cleaning barns and chicken coops. My car has been out of the garage once in the last five weeks. Elery says it's like being a teenager, gas is cheap and we're grounded, LOL. My local store still has no soft margarine, although there's plenty of butter, I'm not sure what that is all about.

I have enough of everything I need to last a couple of months, at least, and I'm holding an election on May 5, just like nothing unusual is happening, except I'll be using gloves and face masks. A local small brewery is making hand sanitizer instead of booze, so I can always buy some there if I feel the need. The only wrench in the works would be if I needed a doctor's appointment, right now the local health care facilities are taking emergencies only.

Annie

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County