SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Moving, Transplanting, What would you do?

cweathersby
16 years ago

I am considering a move.

This would be really hard, because I have over 300 shrubs (I counted them today), over 200 roses, thousands of bulbs, mature fruit trees, a greenhouse that was just built this fall, and a big water feature/pond that my husband and I built. Plus all of the various perennials and trees that plant lovers end up with. Lots of my plants are very very rare.

But if I don't move closer to my family just because of "some plants", then I will really regret it later in life.

Here is the dilemma: We are planning on moving and starting a family once we are closer to my family. I will be a stay at home mom. We'll be too broke to buy new plants for at least 7 years or so. So I'll be leaving my garden and have no way to start over.

My current garden is less than 5 years old. Would it be possible to transplant most of my garden? I could possibly prepare the soil ahead of time and then borrow a backhoe and move the big stuff. Of course I would have to leave most of the bulbs and the pond and the hardscaping.

This decision is almost making me sick. That is how much I love my plants ... and my family. I never would have started a garden here if I would have known that one day I would move. I have said many many times that I would keep this exact same piece of land even if I won the lottery. Heck, I've probably spent a thousand dollars and even more hours just on dirt.

Of course if I could afford it I would just move and start over with baby plants, but what do you think my odds are of transplanting these shrubs?

I'd like to move:

Hollies, lorepetalum, burning bush, cleyera, blueberries, wintersweets, podocarpus, witch hazels, kerria, winter honeysuckles, michelia figos, sarcoccocas, eleagnus, osmanthus fragrans, 40 camellias (ranging in age from 4 years to just planted), and gardenias. I am not worried about the roses. They root easily and grow faster than weeds. It is all of the other plants, especially the camellias, that I am worried about.

What do you think? Is there any chance that this would work? What would I need to do to prepare the soil at the new house? What would I need to do to prepare the shrubs for transplanting?

TIA,

Carrie

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting