SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Thanks to whoever recommended Straus Yogurt

shambo
4 years ago

Someone on the Cooking Forum, Kitchen Table, or Harvest Forum recommended Straus Family Creamery Yogurt several times in the past. I noted the recommendation, but my local stores didn't carry that brand. Well, the last time I placed an online grocery delivery order, I noticed that Straus was available. I got a 32 oz plain, unflavored, whole milk yogurt. I figured I could use it in any baking recipes calling for buttermilk -- I'd just combine 1/4 cup of the yogurt with 3/4 cup of reconstituted whole dry milk.

I made cornbread this afternoon and mixed up my buttermilk substitute. When I opened the container, I took a taste. Wow! It was smooth, creamy, and luscious. Just like I remembered from my childhood. It was tangy and tart but not sour. (probably because it's made with whole milk.)

The label says "European Style," meaning that it's not the super-thick Greek yogurt. It has a loose consistency that I really like. It didn't have that chalky texture that some brands of Greek yogurt have. (Hey, I'm Greek and my mom cooked mainly Greek food, but I don't remember ever eating yogurt that was thick like the so-called Greek yogurt.)

Anyhow, I want to thank whoever recommended this brand. It'll be my go-to as long as some of my local grocery stores continue to carry it. I dislike fruit yogurt intensely, and it's hard to find decent tasting plain yogurt. It's either too sour or too chalky in texture. Straus plain yogurt was perfect! I can hardly wait to reheat some stuffed grape leaves that my daughter made for us at Christmas. My mom always served plain yogurt as a condiment. A forkful of stuffed grape leaves swirled through a big blob of plain yogurt. Nothing could be better!

Comments (19)