SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandyscherer

Kitchen Layout Help Requested

farmdrmer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

Thanks so much to those of you who share your knowledge, I've been lurking for a year and have posted a few times.

We are beginning new construction of a forever home, and I need to finalize my kitchen layout/cabinet design before meeting with the cabinet maker (custom Amish cabinets).

We are a family with 2 young children. Generally only one cook in the kitchen at a time, although we both cook. We both work from home, so we eat almost all meals at home. We will likely eat breakfast and lunch at the island bar, and dinner in the adjacent dining room table every day.

We make lots from scratch, but mostly simple meals. I no longer bake very much due to dietary restrictions. I do can/freeze/preserve fruits, veggies, and sauces when time allows. We will have a large upright freezer in our garage for additional frozen storage. We live in the country, and I buy in bulk when possible so the walk-in pantry is highly desired.

We have family very close by and at least 1-2 times a month will be feeding 6-8 adults plus children very casual meals. Once a year we will host holidays for 15-30 people.

I don't have permission to post our entire plan, but I tried to note where the adjoining rooms are located. I know from a previous post that the pantry on paper looks very awkward sticking out. However, just around the corner are the more "private" spaces of the house, and we decided that it is nice to have the buffer instead of having the kitchen more open to our bedroom door. We did consider moving or changing it, but I think the benefit of the walk-in and buffer to private space will be more valuable to us.

Cabinets - All drawers on lowers except under sink. Corner will have sink pushed down a little from drawing to allow for some type of susan in the corner unit. Trash/recycle pull out in island, and another recycle pullout for paper in the "drop zone" area where you first walk in from mudroom.

Main concerns:

1. Prep sink - I originally had prep sink in island, but decided to remove it to have more space. I was afraid since we will use the island mostly for casual eating and entertaining, the prep sink might be right in the way of whoever was sitting there. I've never had a prep sink so I think I can live without one, but not sure if that is a huge mistake or not?

2. Dishes storage - plan on storing glasses in upper above dishwasher next to fridge, some in drawers across from dishwasher located in island. I'm a little nervous about this, but reading other GW threads have encouraged me drawer dish storage is the way to go. Appreciate thoughts on this for my layout though, if it will/will not work.

3. Microwave - up for debate where to put the microwave. We use it daily to heat up leftovers for lunch, minor heating for dinner prep, etc. I do not want it in the island due to small kiddos. I don't want to put next to fridge and lose storage in that upper for glasses. Husband wants it in pantry, but I think it is way too far away to be convenient for how we actually use it. I'm thinking either a small unit on the counter next to fridge or possibly in upper cabinet next to the range (husband hates that idea though). Any other possibilities I'm missing?

Thanks so much, I appreciate your time!

Comments (28)