SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20167223

Layout help request / reusing cabinets advice request

User
10 years ago

Hello GWers,

I feel like I've been lurking here forever, and now I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a kitchen update this year. I'm attaching a current layout, so you can see the major problems, which are the horrible range placement, congestion at the entry door, and the lack of a built in dishwasher (have a portable set up now).

I'm trying to keep the cost of whatever I do reasonable (so no marble, high end cabinets,etc.), but I'm on the fence about whether upgrading to new cabinets is worth it. The updating will include ripping out the soffits above the cabinets, some rewiring, some drywall patchup, new countertop (open to laminate or lower cost granite/solid surface/etc.) and new flooring, too. A lot of this will be DIY or done by family members, except the drywall finishing work (I hate it) and the countertop and flooring install (nicer vinyl, more than likely).

If any of you have the interest/time, could you help me out with a couple of things?

1. Would you reuse these cabinets (a little darker than golden oak, but not too orange, nice solid early 90s Kraftmaid cabinets)?
2. If you did, would you gel stain them darker or leave as is?
3. I'm having trouble coming up with a layout, any ideas? I am open to removing the built-in pantry and replacing with pantry cabinet(s), moving the entry door (shown at the top of the page) to where the built in pantry is now, and moving the window. The window can't go any further toward the bottom of the page, though.

Also, there is a three season room off the kitchen that might be able to be turned into the dining area, if I bite the bullet and pay the money to insulate and heat/cool. I live in Iowa, so this is not necessarily a cheap proposition, but might be worth it, if it allows a really awesome layout.

I'm linking to the current layout, a drawing of the room with nothing in it, and one option I've come up with that tears out the pantry/moves the door, moves the window, and reuses most of the cabinets I have, adding in some new pantry cabinets.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

This post was edited by hawkeyekitchen on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 21:54

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz