SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lannegreene_gw

Old house kitchen layout - assistance requested

lannegreene
11 years ago

We are a 30 something couple, no kids, one cat (currently) living in a 95 year old house. We've taken care of "system" issues and remodeled the bathroom and are now ready to tackle the kitchen. I've been playing with the layout of this space for years, it just seems too limited! I need help from fresh eyes.
We are usually in the kitchen/mudroom together, one cooking the other doing laundry, going in/out, getting a drink or just visiting. We always seem to need the sink at the same time. We entertain family, 4-6 (generally) people at a time. Eating is done in the dining room or living room. I am a function over form person.
I would like to combine the kitchen and mudroom to open the space and aid function. The wall between the two is load bearing. The space will still need to serve as kitchen, laundry and entry/exit. I do not want to open up the kitchen to the dining room. Since the budget will have to deal with the kitchen/mudroom dividing wall, we would like to keep windows/doorways in place. I have been playing with moving the backdoor to the north wall, but there would have to be a big gain in functionality to justify doing it.
This stove is 20". I would like to have a 24" or 30" stove. The gas line is in back of the current stove, but we�ve only used electric. I would like a gas stove, but it is not a necessity. The refrigerator is 24", we do need a bit more room, a standard 18 cubic foot frig would be fine. We use the microwave daily to make oatmeal, steam cook vegetables or warm up leftovers. A coffee maker and toaster are our only other frequently used appliances.
Key issues:

1. Traffic flows through key kitchen workspace. We need room for the cook to work without interference from the backdoor traffic, laundry traffic or just someone chatting with the cook.
    2. Always fighting to use the sink at the same time. Not just for cooking but to wash hands and clean up from laundry and outside, to get a drink, to clean up DIY project materials, you get the idea. The only other water source in the house is the upstairs bathroom.
    3. Cabinet drawers falling apart and too narrow for most uses.
    4. No exhaust over stove.
    5. Laundry is the focal point upon entering the backdoor. I would like to make it less conspicuous. Dirty laundry is stored and laundry is folded in the bedrooms.
    6. No space to sit to put shoes on/off, poor layout storage of shoes and coats.

Layout of kitchen and mudroom.

The current layout with cabinets. The images don't show the measurements well at this size. The kitchen is 91"x 135", the mudroom is 114"x 135".

View in from the dining room. There is no door currently in place but I would like to install a swinging (32") door. The door to the basement (30") is at the immediate left, perpendicular to the dining room entry. The kitchen is in the northwest corner of the house. The sink is on the west wall. The refrigerator as shown is on the wall between the kitchen and mudroom. The doorway to the mudroom is between the refrigerator and the sink cabinets.

The backdoor leading to a deck. This is a 32" door on the east wall. There are two windows over the washer and dryer which face north to the vegetable garden and detached garage.

Backdoor is shown on the left, the wall shown divides the mudroom and kitchen.

West wall opposite the backdoor. Picture taken from window opening in wall between the two rooms.

Please let me know if I left out any information that would be helpful. I have considered finding a designer to help, but I've had such poor experinces with contractors (I know not the same, I should be more optimisic)I feel I need to understand the space first. We will be getting professionals to do most of the work, certainly working on the load-bearing wall.

Thank you for your time reading this. I hope someone will see this as a fun challange.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths