SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

'Roses without Chemicals' - The Hippie-Bland Solution to Rose Woes?

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

As I am losing my patience with Good as Gold - my only HT who is already giving clear signs it will have another year of BS drama, I decided to buy the book 'Roses Without Chemicals.'

I'd read I could fine some very solid suggestions there for a replacement and some future additions to my garden.

I ordered it but as I am waiting for it to arrive, I browsed through the pages available on amazon. One included a list of recommended roses for my area - and I proceeded to look them all up.

Each and every one of them was disappointing. All of them seem to be some kind of 'species,' wild-type or small-bloom-single-petal rose that have little to do with the glamorous beauty of HT-s, grandifloras or floribundas.

The book's take home message seems to be that if you want to stop having disappointments and failures with roses, get those that do well in your area - and it just so happens that those are...well, ...what I'd call "hippie roses," more or less.

The list I found for the South was this one - but honestly, with the exception of Belinda's Dream, which I just got - neither appeals to me all that much. Maybe Blush Noisette.

Does that mean I am doomed to hippie roses? Or do I just need to let go of HT-s?

If I have to replace my Good as Gold, what would be an HT or grandiflora that is highly disease resistant to black spot and blooms abundantly throughout the season?

Comments (27)