SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Need Purple No Spray Rose

Molineux
16 years ago

I've asked this question before but didn't get too many responses so I'm trying again. I'm planting a no spray rose garden for my mother who lives in coastal Virginia (USDA Zone 7b). This garden is primarily China and Tea roses with Noisette climbers, but does include a few of the most disease resistant shrub roses. I need a lavender/mauve/purple rose for one of the beds. It should grow aproximately 4 feet tall with a growth habit that will harmonize nicely with Chinas and Teas. I was considering ENCHANTRESS (Tea) and INDIGO (Portland), but discarded the notion because the first isn't reliably purple in hot/humid climates and the second because the disease resistance, although good, isn't good enough for no spray.

Lisa at Countryside recommends VIOLETTA (aka INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE) for clean foliage. Is this true? It is supposed to be fragrant and the simple flower form wouldn't look too out of place (esp. next to the Chinas). Should I choose it or perhaps another rose? Please help me, because I'm very close to completely abandoning the idea of a mauve rose in this garden.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022