SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Pancakes are so easy...maybe

plllog
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So, one of the guests tonight was talking about making pancakes and how much she liked them and needing to buy pancake mix. I, of course, offered that one doesn't have to have pancake mix. It's so easy just to make a batter. So she asked what was in the batter and I told her. I can make it by feel, but don't know measurements off the top of my head. As the discussion progressed, I found a recipe for her.

That's when it occurred to me to ask her the basics, like, "Do you know how to measure flour?" Something in the way she looked at me made me think to ask what kind of flour she had. That stymied her! She didn't know how to answer. "Normal?" she said with a rising inflection. Beat. 2 beats. "Is it wheat flour?" I asked. "Rice?" wondered she., Aha. I would have sent her back to the pancake mix--she was looking to make American diner style pancakes, and I"m not sure at all that rice will bubble up the same way, or taste similar. She was already hooked though, and suggested she might have some AP. A few questions later, and it seems like it's probably major mill bleached white AP flour. Okay. Then I asked her how it was stored. And her MIL (a very reserved woman) was just about giggling as I explained why canisters are good. :) She has a canister. After we determined it didn't have a wide opening, I explained about spooning the flour into the cup and not shaking the canister or the cup.

"Whoa! I didn't know so much went into making pancakes!"

The rest of the recipe went easily. She knows how to cook them from using mix (though the mix pancakes didn't taste good--I think she and her family wanted sweeter--the recipe I found has a sugar option built in). I didn't know how much went into making pancakes either. Making a batter of any kind seems like such a nothing to me. It's not! And one person's neverending bins of staples are another's confusing grocery list.

It was fun. We all got to laugh a lot. I just hope her pancakes come out well.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH