SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

High protein waffle/pancakes

Lars
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I revised my pancake and waffle recipe to make something that would be high protein and therefore something I would be able to eat on occasion. I saved the recipe as a PDF file, thinking I could upload it here as a photo, so here it is as a jpeg file. I did not want to cut and paste as text because Houzz would mess up the columns that I set up.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, this shows the amount of protein I was able to get into one waffle, which is more than four times what is in a normal waffle, according my The Complete Book of Food Counts, which I have been using. The carbohydrate and calorie levels remain the same as normal waffles/pancakes. I ate 3/4 of one waffle for lunch today, which filled me up, and I used to eat 1-1/2 or two waffles at a time, and with syrup. I had mine plain today, but Kevin ate his with syrup. I'm sure they tasted very good with syrup, but I am okay with how they taste plain. I could significantly reduce the calories by reducing the butter, but then I do not think I would want to eat them. The butter adds 37.5 calories to what I am eating, and I think that is okay. My fish oil capsules have 30 calories each, and so now I take them only once a day, and I wonder if I should stop them altogether. I also have other protein powders that have fewer calories and more protein than the pea powder, but I thought the flavor of the pea powder was best. I might try a soy powder next time.

I only did this because I thought I had to remove waffles and pancakes from my diet, but I think I can keep them when made like this, and Kevin likes them. Plus they are super easy and fast to make. My normal recipe uses two eggs instead of three and the liquid is adjusted accordingly. I also used to use 3/4 Tbsp of sugar but replaced that with sugar substitute - it definitely needs something there.

I'm not sure how much benefit I am getting from the whole wheat flour, but I get it comes mainly from the fiber.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio