SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Beth's Grandpa's Buttermilk pancakes

annie1992
14 years ago

Beth, I like preserving heirloom recipes as much as I do heirloom seeds and animal breeds, so I just had to make your Grandpa Corliss' griddle cakes.

As you warned, I did need more flour, the first ones were too liquid and I had kind of a mess.

They didn't flip well either, LOL:

I wasn't afraid, though, because you'd warned me, so I added another tablespoon of flour, and it was perfect. You can see how light and lacey it is, lots of little bubbles makes it tender and lovely. They are only slightly sweet:

{{gwi:1490202}}

The first pancakes were thin and tender and eggy/custardy, which I liked a lot but they were difficult to handle. The addition of that single tablespoon of flour made a light, tender, thin pancake that could easily be rolled around something if it suited me. You can see the difference in the first batch and the batch that followed with the extra flour:

Cooper ate the first batch, he didn't mind the appearance and he had an egg with it. He heartily approves:

As Beth instructed, mine was topped with real maple syrup. I did sandwich an egg between my two pancakes, as my own Grandfather taught me to do. I used to use a lot of butter too, but I quit that. I miss it.

Beth, thank you for a great pancake recipe, and thanks to your Grandpa Corliss. This one is definitely a keeper, next time I'm going to try it in the waffle iron and see what I get!

Annie

Comments (19)