SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

wfd # 302

hawk307
14 years ago

Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 21:43

Kathleen:

Not anything pretty but I'll start the next one if no one hasn't already.

My computer is still not working right but all the Food and Photo's look great.

made 2 lbs. of Italian Sausage Patties. Finely got the ingredients from the Butcher at my market.

They are from a Spice Co. in Ca.

So I winged my own recipe.

lbs. of Ground Pork

2 Heaping tablespoons of Red wine.

1/2 teaspoon of Anise flavor ( Mix in the wine ).

1 1/2 tablesps. of Paprika

1 tablesp. of Salt

1 heaping Tablesp. of Garlic powder.

1 tablesp. of Sugar

2 tablesps. of Parmesan Cheese.

1 teaspoon of Black Pepper.

Optional ( 1/2 teaspoon of Fennel )

Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Spread out the Grd. Pork and drizzle the wine mixture over it and mix it thru.

Sprinkle all the Spices over the Pork and mix that thru.

Make a small patty and cook it in a skillet, to give it a taste test.

Add more of what you like.

This tasted like the Meat Market Sausage, that everyone likes.

I used some of this for a small Meat Loaf. Mixed it with Ground Sirloin, along with Bread crumbs and Spices.

Brownded it for 20 minutes at 400, Put in some nuked Potato Slices and added Spaghetti Sauce over everything.

Lowered the temp. to 325 Deg and Baked it for another 50 min.( internal temp. 160 Deg ).

LOU

Comments (100)

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Teresa, I really liked these. I didn't use the raisins or the nuts, only because I didn't have any.

Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins

From EatingWell
    1 dozen muffins

Topping
    Â2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
    Â2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
    Â1 10-ounce can pineapple slices
    Muffins
    Â3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
    Â3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    Â2 teaspoons baking powder
    Â1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    Â1/4 teaspoon salt
    Â1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    Â2 large eggs
    Â1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    Â1/4 cup canola oil
    Â2 tablespoons pineapple juice, or orange juice
    Â1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Â1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, (not drained)
    Â1 cup grated carrot, (1 large)
    Â1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
    Â3/4 cup raisins, preferably baking raisins (see Ingredient note)
    Â1/4 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
    Preparation
    1.Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
    2.To prepare topping: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar into each muffin cup. Sprinkle nuts, if using, over the sugar. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 6 wedges. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup.
    3.To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
    4.Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in oil, juice and vanilla. Stir in crushed pineapple. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in carrot, oats, raisins and nuts, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full).
    5.Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and firm to the touch, 15 to 25 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet. Restore any stray pineapple pieces and nuts. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve upside-down, either warm or at room temperature.
    Nutrition
    Per muffin : 211 Calories; 6 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 35 mg Cholesterol; 36 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 185 mg Sodium; 152 mg Potassium

These rose up nicely, no "muffin top" hangover at all, and made a pretty good sized muffin. Definitely a keeper recipe for me, although I'll admit that I cut the muffin in half and ate the gooey bottom, sharing the top with Cooper. Hey, I saved a few calories that way, yeah....that's why I did it. Ahem.

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Annie you are making so many good looking things...I like the sound of those muffins.

Shambo I'm so impressed with your dolmades, you are making them so well. We're living on a wine-growing island so I should be able to find some grape leaves somewhere shouldn't I, but I've never seen them for sale to be used for cooking. I really would like to try making them once.

Beverly I won't tell you then how today the temperature went up to 75F and we sat in the garden for after dinner coffee. I would love to see you here for a visit!

Today I made stuffed green peppers with small fresh tomatoes, using a mixture of ground beef (can't use pork yet) and spices including fennel and Parmesan.
    Part way through their baking time I spooned a Tbs of Spanish tomate frito (fried tomato sauce) over each one while in the casserole.
    They were good but next time I will steam the peppers briefly before stuffing as they were still a little crisp today.

We had them with steamed vegetables: squash, carrots, broccoli, spinach, onion. Wolf had fried potatoes as well. Still have two left over for tomorrow's lunch.

Take care everyone who has snow. The weather over on the east coast sounds so extreme, I hope you are all keeping safe and warm!

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

CAthy, just an addendum on that Mango Pudding. The flavor was very nice, not too sweet, but don't serve it the next day. The mango makes the pudding get runny, it's a very nasty texture today. I think the next time I'll try one of those recipes with gelatin and see if that holds up better and doesn't get so icky.

SharonCB, those peppers look good, so nice and fresh. I don't much like cooked peppers but I can eat them raw like apples, those look fresh and crunchy.

No snow here, but it was darned cold and the wind chill was below zero. I fed the stock and filled the tanks, fed the chickens, picked up more chicken feed and stored that in the barn. Something about hauling 50 pound bags of feed makes me tired for some reason, good thing I only had half a dozen of them or I'd have worn myself out, sheesh.

I didn't cook much tonight, I had biscuits that I'd made this morning and an egg. A muffin for dessert and a cup of this morning's coffee in the microwave and I'm good to go.

Annie

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon:
    I forgot that you liked Stuffed Peppers. You should try the Pepper Prelibato.
    It is cut in half, opened faced, with Stuffing, Provolone,Tomatoes and Bacon
    I put the recipe in before. I'll put it in again if you want.
    Lou

Hope the color is OK on this one.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Annie I would love one of your biscuits dipped in that runny egg. Looks like a perfect breakfast!

Thank you Lou for mentioning your stuffed peppers. Until I'm finished with this diet, I can't have bacon or any pork, no Provolone and have to watch tomatoes as they're only barely allowed. I'll look for your recipe another day when I am eating normally again.

Yesterday we finished off the last two stuffed peppers, with baked bubango zucchini, squash and eggplant slices roasted in the oven and brown rice. Today I made a meatless stewed lentils. It was so good we each had two bowls. I used a couple of teaspoons of Marmite along a with Knorr stock cube and a spoonfull of dried onion soup mix to kick up the flavour. It contained one carrot, lots of onion and garlic, a bay leaf, half a sliced leek, eggplant all of which were chopped and browned in olive oil before being added to the pot of lentils cooking. Spinach added near the end. It's chilly again here so hot soup was good.

SharonCb

• User
    14 years ago

Annie, I would be happy with your dinner. Especially if you topped the biscuits with your own sausage gravy.

Sharon, I wouldn't mind your peppers with the zucchini and eggplant. That really looks good. And I love that picture.

This is a catch-up of what we have had this past week:

Flummkuchen - kind of like a German/Alsatian onion and bacon pizza. Really good.

Pork Souvlaki with Greek Salad and rice

And a ham dinner with potato gratin, squash and steamed broccoli.

I also baked Date and Walnut loaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thibeault's Table

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Annie, your pictures are really getting good! Even something as simple as an egg and a biscuit got my mouth watering!

Sharon, I have never had a stuffed pepper....not sure why! Yours look delicious!

Tonight I just cleaned out the fridge and made all of my leftover bits of vegetables into a fritatta. Ham, onions, mushrooms, arugula and swiss cheese in the fritatta, and I also hade some leftover oven fries so I rough chopped them and made them into home fries on the side.

Linda

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

I just finished dinner a couple hours ago and yet I'm now hungry seeing some of the new photos!

Sharon your peppers, vegetables and soup look so good. We love veges. and my husband loves stuffed peppers. I haven't made those in a while and should make up a batch. That would make him very happy.

Annie your biscuits and eggs look great but I have to admit I need my eggs a little more done. I like my yolks cooked all the way but hubby would love the dippy just like your picture. And as far as Ashley needing to have a boyfriend that is in need of help - she will grow out of it. I died laughing when I read that because I was just that way when I was her age. My parents could never understand it!!!:)

Ann the ham and potatoes look super as well as the pizza. I love bacon on pizza! And Greek food is absolutely one of my favs. and your plate looks fantastic.

I made terakyi salmon, rice pilaf and steamed broccoli for us tonight. I had the camera all ready to go but then got caught up on a phone call concerning my Mom's estate with the bank which is a whole thread within itself. I've just about had it with the bank. It just about made me lose my appetite. Seriously how hard is it for a bank to change an address? Sign of the times.

Thanks all for the wonderful pictures of the meals. I always enjoy them and they calm me down:)

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Thanks, Linda, sometimes I get lucky and a picture turns out great. Not last night's supper, though. It was good, but not photogenic, or else I was so hungry I didn't stop to mess around with settings, but the roast duck, corn bread, quinoa with dried cranberries, apricots and pecans and the brussels sprouts with horseradish cream were darned good if not particularly pretty:

Ashley was still doing the soft foods, so she had macaroni and cheese:

Tonight we had bean soup and more of the cornbread, it's cold and snowy and soup seemed like a good idea:

Dixie, Elery agrees with you on the eggs, he likes his done until they are firm all the way through and I like them...well....you know because of the picture, LOL. So I cook his a little longer. I smiled at "dippy" eggs because my girls used to call them "dunky" eggs, they "dunked" toast in them.

Ann T, everything looks good, but the pork souvlaki really appealed to Elery, now he wants some.

Sharon, we had bean soup, but I love lentil soup too, it's definitely soup weather!

Annie

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

I hope Ashley is doing better, you are a good nursey mom!..:)

Sharon, you are always so generous with your help with photography.
    I tried to buy new SD cards for my 3 yo Canon, and have been told they are phasing them out for the SDHC which don't fit "older" cameras. I know I can get them on line...I did find ONE at Staples..Guess they will force us to buy new cameras..
    Ann that frumkuchen looks wonderful..I will pop over to your blog to see how..

Shambo, those look wonderful..and such a nice way to remember your mom...

Everything looks delicious..I have cooked, but the same things you have already seen..

Lou feel better...hope you are missing the storm we are getting slammed with right now!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Kathleen, I guess I'd better buy up the SD cards when I see them, I've just learned to use THIS camera, geez.

Ashley is feeling better, but still not chewing anything too substantial, it gives her a good excuse to indulge in her favorite food, mashed potatoes.

Elery and I had our "Valentine's Day" dinner on Wednesday, he had to go home today. Just as he put the steak on the grill, Ashley showed up with her boyfriend and a friend. We put more steak on the grill, and they stayed until 11 pm, watching movies on demand on the computer via Netflix.

Elery had planned a nice meal and a quiet evening with just the two of us, but it didn't happen. The steak, the shrimp, the roasted fingerling potatoes and the green beans were really good though!

Yesterday for lunch we had turnips, collard greens and cherry tomatoes, I liked it a lot.

Then we went to Cadillac to visit stepmom, she's in the hospital there. We stopped at Ruby Tuesday's on the way home and got the worst meal I've had in a long time, I had a veggie burger that had way too much of a far too sweet BBQ sauce. Elery had a completely tasteless turkey burger. Ugh.

Annie

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

So much good-looking food here. Lots of good soups - it's chilly here and soup sounds good!

A few of the things I've made recently:

I saw Ann's flammkuchen on her blog and decided to give it a try myself. It was delicious!!

Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

Cornstarch Waffles, which were very tender on the inside, crisp on the outside:

And Ann's Upside-Down Blueberry Cake:

Lori

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lori, that flammkuchen looks good to me too, I just might have to try my own version of that!

While you were having waffles, I made Beth's Grandpa Corliss' pancakes for breakfast with an egg and maple syrup, very yummy with a cup of hot coffee:

It was a baking kind of day, so I decided to bake bread. Since I had the oven on I started with a dozen molasses cookies from dough I found in the freezer, leftover from Christmas. When those came out, I made Glenda's pulled pork:

My bread went in with the pork, it was butternut squash bread with a cinnamon and sugar filling:

While things were rising and baking and simmering, I decided to clean the fridge. I found a bag of cranberries that had been there since Christmas (!) and used those to make Gina's cranberry citrus marmalade:

So, it was a constructive day, and I definitely had supper!

Annie

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Oh that flammkuchen looks delish! I will have to investigate that further.....And Annie - if my kids ever go back to school I have some cranberries that need to be used up too. I am oging to look for that marmalade recipe.

I finally took a few pictures of our Valentines dinner....

Asparagus in crispy proscuitto with a balsamic drizzle. OMG I willd efinitely be making this again and often, it is my new fav way to eat this super simple appy.

ABin5 done as a ring.... tried to make it heart shaped, but it rounded out moving from the peel to the stone

Baked Shrimp Scampi from Ina. I halved the recipe, and forgot to halve the topping LOL! Oh well, it was super tasty anyway

Baby green and apples in a Frico cup. Stacy inspired me and I made them for my already planned salad. Very tasty, DH loved them and has challenged me to come up with an app that would use mini versions of these

Not as pretty as it maybe could have been... Hawaiian Butterfish with Puttanesca Sauce and Garlic Smashed potatoes.

And MLCs for dessert...

• User
    14 years ago

Alexa, you have been holding out on us.

Great photos. What a wonderful dinner. Everything looks delicious.

Ann

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Aw thanks Ann! But I really haven't been holding out.... any photo that isn't yellow and blurry is thanks to SharonCBs great photo tutorial which I re-read before I started taking photo last night. Now I jsut need to learn to resize them since they are a little large! LOLOLOL!

A

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW ! Great Photo's and Food.
    Makes chills run up and down my spine.

Yesterday:
    Everyone was up for
    My Daughters Birthday. ( Valentines Day )

I made Pancakes for breakfast. ( Best in the World )
    No photo's of the Pancakes.

I did a Roasted Chicken, which was almost 5 lbs.(4.90)
    No Stuffing this time but a lot of Potatoes.

Served with Stir Fries and Salad, with Cheese Cake for Dessert.

• gemini40
    14 years ago

OMG what a fantastic site...Those pictures would rival those I have seen in many foodie magazines... I cannot tell you how hungry I am right now.
    Would it be possible to get the recipe for the stuffed peppers....they looked so fantstic.

June

• stacy3
    14 years ago

oh YUM! Great looking stuff! (welcome June!)

I am going to be making that shrimp scampi and doublling the topping, too - LOL. Annie, I've got to try those pancakes they look wonderful.

Ann, your ham and potatoes - another thing I have to put on the menu. What a great shot.

And Lorijean, I've been frequenting your blog lately, gathering recipes and ideas! Your Asian lime ribs were scrumptious - and I served your asparagus with proscuitto at our Valentine dinner party - it was a huge hit. Also, last summer, you mentioned that a great way to serve Ann's oven roasted tomatoes was on top of toasted crostini along with ricotta, s and p. I made it then and then poofed the last of those tomatoes the other night and it tasted just as good. :-)

Stacy

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Alexa, your V-day dinner looks amazing!

Yes, many of the photos on this forum are far better than some of the best food magazines and cookbooks! Unfortunately, my photos are not in that category! LOL

We had V-day dinner tonight because I realized I was missing one ingredient for it when I went to get started making it last night. So last night I made Claires Amazing Thin Crust Pizza. Topped with Pepperoni, hard salami and onions, it really hit the spot.

{{gwi:1484043}}

Tonight was Ina Garten's Seafood Gratin served with Party Pear Salad (from GW, but I am not sure whose recipe this is....). The gratin was delicious, but very, very rich! That salad is probably my favorite salad in the world! LOL

{{gwi:1484044}}

Nothing to do with dinner, but I started a batch of Limoncello last week. Finished it up today. It is good, but I added some lemon juice to it as I wanted it a littel more mellow. Turned out good, I think I'll make my simple syrup using the saved lemon juice from now on. Makes it super "lemony"! I refilled the vodka bottle and still had enough to fill two smaller bottles.

{{gwi:1484044}}

Linda

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Sorry, hit submit instead of preview...had the wrong photo for the Limoncello! What a klutz! LOL

{{gwi:1484045}}

Linda

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Linda, I made a wonderful sorbet last summer using limoncello. Mind sharing how you made it?

(It was delicious and perfect when the summer heat becomes so oppressive!!)

Stacy, I'm flattered that you've been reading my blog! I've never frozen the roasted tomatoes. Good to know they can be held over like that - though I usually can't stop nibbling on them when I make them! LOL

Lori

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Lori, I'll share mine if you share yours! I'd love to make that sorbet!

I'll start a new thread, rather than hijack this one.

Linda

• shaun
    14 years ago

Well tonight's dinner will be Sol's Lemon Garlic Chicken.

This is one of those dishes that looks just as beautiful before it's cooked, as it does after it's cooked!

Here it is all ready to go in the oven.

Lori your Sorbet would go perfect with my dinner tonight! It looks just gorgeous! Good job.

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Shaun, I haven't made Sol's Lemon Garlic Chicken in awhile - I love it, too!

Last night, I had a chicken breast I needed to use, so I cut it up into chunks, seasoned it with s&p and minced rosemary, and sauteed the chicken until it was brown. Also sauteed some mushrooms, shallots & garlic, made a cream sauce and crepes, combined it all and voila! Dinner! :D

Lori

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Love everyone's dinner photos and food ideas!

We've been eating about the same as usual, salmon, hake, shrimp, chicken, liver & onions and some beef patties or meatloaf with vegetables and salads.
    I can't be too creative until my diet is over, so no pasta and nearly no carbs yet, although Wolf gets potatoes, so my photos would be quite repetitive.

Alexa you did well with both the food and the camera. Nice to see what you've been making.

Kathleen I hope you have luck finding SD cards. I hate it when something you need is phased out.
    I use Compact Flash cards in my Canon and hopefully they will be around for a while, but I'd better check.

June if you were asking about my stuffed green peppers, I can suggest you use your favourite meatloaf recipe mixture and after cutting off the tops of the peppers to form a lid, remove seeds and veins and stuff them with the meatloaf, put them into an oiled casserole (I use olive oil instead of butter), add lids and drizzle a bit of oil and tomato puré over top.
    Put them into an oven around 350F for an hour an a half or until peppers have softened.

I used my best meatloaf recipe for that and again as meatloaf and veg for dinner yesterday.

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs - (tear up soft sliced bread - don't use fine crumbs as for breading)
    1 1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork & beef) (about 700 grams)
    1 beaten egg
    1 onion chopped fine
    1/4 teasp dry Colman's (or similar) mustard
    1/8 teasp ground sage
    1/2 teasp ground thyme
    1 1/2 teasp salt

1/4 teas pepper
    1/8 teasp nutmeg
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 tin condensed tomato soup (eg Campbells's)
    3/4 cup grated celery
    3/4 cup grated carrot

1) Mix meat with egg, add onion and seasonings and bread crumbs, greens and carrots

2) Add half the tin of soup and mix everything well. Turn into greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 inches and pour remaining soup over the top, smoothing it evenly over all.

3) Bake 350 F (177 C) for 1 1/4 hours.

Source: American Pro Footbal Player's Wife in 1963

My Notes:

1) I use 'tomate frito' instead of the condensed soup. It's a rich fried Spanish tomato purée but otherwise condensed soup is good. Never use ketchup !
    2) I usually double the amount of the ground spices with the exception of salt.

SharonCb

• User
    14 years ago

Great looking Pizza Linda. And that gratin sounds delicious too.

Lori, I love that photo of the lemon and sorbet.

Shaun, you are right. That dish does look great even before it is cooked.

Lori, I should make crepes more often. So easy and you can fill them with just about anything. Chicken and mushrooms would be perfect.

A few of the things I've made this week:

I made fudge for all the Valentine's in my life. Shipped four trays east, two each of Chocolate walnut and White chocolate Walnut. Matt and Dana ended up with a White Chocolate Walnut and a Maple Walnut. Each tray weighed between two and two and half pounds.

Baked Buttermilk Biscuits for breakfast one day

and Cranberry Goat Cheese Scones for breakfast another.

• shaun
    14 years ago

Ann! Stoppit!!!!!!! ahahahah!!!!!

ps... my fudge never arrived.

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

I'm also waiting for my fudge, and I'm going to hold my breath until it gets here. But hurry Ann, I'm turning Avatar Blue.

Shaun, even in its raw stage, that chicken looks good and herby. I can't wait to have fresh basil again, to make this dish.
    I also haven't made lemon Sorbet in Lemon Cups in many years. But Lori's beautiful and summery picture might just motivate me to try again.
    Could it be disinterest and laziness comes with old age? I hope not.

In any case, everything you've all made looks magazine-worthy and delicious, no surprise here.

Shambo, I'm so sorry I missed your post earlier. I'd like to offer my condolences to you and your family for your loss. It looks like you learned so much from your dear mother. And your mom's signature dish, Dolmades, are a thing of beauty. We frequent a Middle Eastern restaurant, and my daughter and I, both, fight over Dolmades, so I'll save your tut. Thank you very kindly.

Well, I'm plum tired and have taken the rest of the week off. It's been a while since I posted anything food-related, I'll take a stab at it now.
    Starting with the famous, yet, infamous (at least in my experience) V-day Clementine Cake.
    Details for the Marzipan Frog Prince is on the blog.

I've been snacking on Clementines all winter; these are "Cuties," from California. I also love the clementines imported from Morocco, they're a tad sweeter, but have seeds, unlike "Cuties."

Made Jim's favorite Banana Bread.

Look away Ann. My sous chef, Thumper, and I, made his favorite Rainbow Jello Hearts. I used to make these for Sam when she was in Elementary School. And the wobbly, rainbow Jello tradition lives on...

Cheese Straws I made for my Seafood Gumbo.

And Seafood Gumbo

Have a good week everyone!

Sol

• stacy3
    14 years ago

grrrrr. I swear I wasn't hungry before I looked at this thread...now my stomach is growling loudly. That gumbo actually made me whimper. And all that lovely fudge! I don't even DARE show that pic to Will....

Those scones are delectable and the crepes from above - and Sol's cake is a work of art.

I better go figure out what "wonderful" thing we are having for dinner.....:-(

Stacy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

You and me both, Stacy, I've got a whole chicken in the fridge waiting to be roasted. I need something fast and easy because I'm baking tonight for a charity bake sale, a local girl with a brain tumor, and we're raising money for the family's medical bills, so since the oven will be on, it's roasted chicken.

I'd rather have fudge, good thing I don't have any or I'd skip that chicken. And no, I'm not making fudge for the bake sale, I'd do too much "tasting".

Then again, I could just eat Sol's sweet little sugary frog.....

Annie

• shaun
    14 years ago

OH Annie, prayers sent to the girl with a brain tumor.

Not sure if this news has gone National yet or not but the community I live in has been declared a Cancer Cluster. Lots of children are coming down with rare brain tumors so it is being investigated now to see if it's our water or the soil or whatever.

Our homes are worth n.o.t.h.i.n.g. at this point. It's sickening. We've been going thru this for 8 months now and still have no answers. Some people are just up and leaving their homes and moving. Lots of empty homes around here now. Foreclosures, abandoned....... it's sad.

Anyway..... every time I hear about a brain tumor, my heart goes out to the person affected and their family. I watched a very good friend go thru it with her son. He luckily lived.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Shaun, I hope they figure out the problem in your neighborhood pretty darned soon! This little girl is named Emma and the tumor was deep in her brain. They couldn't take it all out so they implanted the little radioactive pellets in the tumor to kill it. They give her 30% chance of surviving a year, and she can't go back to her home from rehab until the house can accommodate her wheelchair, walker, etc. So, that's what we're working on right now.

Anyway, I had the threatened roast chicken. These darned little grocery store birds really DO look like bowling balls, as Grandma used to tell me.

You see my Diet Coke there, and that was supper, I just snacked on the chicken and drank Diet Coke while I baked cinnamon rolls:

Pumpkin bread:

and brownies:

I made these for the Grandkids on Monday, they're just storebought donut holes on a stick with frosting. Then I realized that the kids loved them but adults probably wouldn't buy donut kabobs, and kids wouldn't be at the bake sale, they'd be home or at school. So, no donut kabobs, LOL.

Annie

• gemini40
    14 years ago

I am fairly new to this site...now I love the WFD posts and the pictures...are ingenious. I hope Sol, is it, that takes the pics..has a job with a foodie magazine because he is extremely talented. Making those picture just pop off the screen. magical.
    So now to my question...where do you find those recipes, are they somewhere on this site or..what? I would love to be able to make some of these fabulous meals.

June

• User
    14 years ago

June, many of the recipes can be found by doing a gardenweb or a google search.

You can also find some of the recipes for Sol's beautiful creations on her personal blog - Memories in the Baking

And if you can't find what you are looking for just ask. Everyone here is happy to repost recipes.

Ann

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Welcome to the cooking forum, June. As Ann T mentioned, just ask for recipes if you can't find them, most of us don't mind at all posting or even reposting a recipe and answering any questions you might have.

The pictures are exceptional, aren't they? I know Ann T has had one of her pictures used commercially, and I think SharonCB has too. There are a lot of talented people here, both cooks and photographers.

Annie

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gemini40:
    Sol is a she.

Annie: I'm glad you realized that about my Photo's. LOL!!!

Sol :
    If you keep at it, I'm sure you will get good with the Photo's. Lol!!! lol!!!
    Glad I don't live close to you.

Sharon:

I can say more about you, because you're across the Ocean.
    Lou

I better quit joking !

Lou

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Great pics again Sol, Annie and Ann!
    I am more than a little hungry after seeing all the cakes and goodies. Cinnamon buns...my weakness!
    Sol I love your soup tureen, it is beautiful.

Welcome to the forum June. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here!

I also sometimes like the look of raw vegetables better than cooked, but I'm definitely not a raw vegetable eater. However they do photograph better sometimes.
    Here's my vegetable steam pot for today, potato, carrot, cauliflower, squash, leek, followed by a garlic, onion, parsley and lime zest chicken breast.
    I though I was buying the whole breast but once I opened the package it was filleted into thin escalopes. Next time I'll buy at another supermarket where they sell them whole.

And although I wanted to bake the chicken fillets, the electricity was off during today's wind storm, so I cooked them gently in a frypan on the gas stove and made a bit of sauce from the veggie steam water.

Tomorrow is Friday again. Have a good weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Good grief, apologies for all the typos in my last post.
    Mmm, love brownies. But I think the lack of sun has my body craving Sharon's (left and right) salads.

Gemini, thank you for making my day a little sweeter! You're very kind.

And thank you Ann, for posting the link!

Awww Luigi, do not fear me. I never take myself seriously, so I never get offended. Only an ill bred rube would feel threatened by a playful remark.

Dear Peppi, sorry I missed your comment. Seems I always miss something whenever I stampede through here.
    The dream spoof was pretty silly, as most dreams tend to be, but I'll make sure it gets to you.

Sol

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Today I made a stop at the supermarket on my way home from Pilates and picked up two fresh 'vieja' (parrotfish) for lunch.
    The girls in the fish stall cleaned and cut them open but the fish were too small to be filleted.

I filled my basket with fruit and veg and got home in time to start cooking. For a change I dragged out my electric hotplate (or is that called a grill?) and dusted it off. Put a few drops of oil on it and cooked the fish while some vegetables were baking in the toaster oven, others steaming on the stove. We had a good lunch but I have to say these small local fish do have a lot of bones and although the flesh is sweet and easy to cook, it is work to eat them and have to keep removing the bones.

I mentioned Pilates this morning because I was speaking to one of my Spanish classmates after class when she introduced me to her husband who arrived to drive her home. He apologized that he had some dirt on his sleeve because he had just been tending his tomatoes in their garden patch. He said they have beefsteak tomatoes growing now, and a few are ripe every other day. I was blown over when he said they were also not growing under glass or in a greenhouse, but rather out in the open air.
    So we can grow field tomatoes outdoors even in winter here!
    Whodda thought!

1. Raw vegetables: potatoes, squash, eggplant, garlic, shallots
    2. After baking in toaster oven

3. Parrot fish cooking and 4. done; 5. plated dinner

We finally have a sunny day after much rain and storms.
    Hope everyone's snow is melting!

SharonCb

• spacific
    14 years ago

Sharon,
    Seeing the parrotfish reminded me of all the time I spent in French Polynesia many years ago. Brought back lots of good (and tasty) memories. Can't get it here.

Thank you for posting the pics.
    Ann

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, those fish pictures must look familiar to a lot of us, because that's how we ate "panfish" here, whatever we caught in the local lakes. It could be sunfish or bluegill or perch or bass, but it got scaled, cleaned, split and then cooked, I'm a pro at picking bones!

So, are you going to plant some tomatoes in your garden?

Sol, the brownies got baked in my 18 quart Nesco roaster, they were the last item and the oven gave out. The brownies came out very well, I made Ashley eat a test brownie to be sure, since I'd never baked anything in a roaster, so that's why that piece is missing. They were fine, BTW. Poor Ashley, she had to sacrifice herself and eat a brownie. Doncha feel awfully bad for her? (grin)

Annie

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Man I better start taking better Photo's. You people are something !!!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lou, Baked another ugly Fish Cake

Found a brass Silver Plated Serving Tray the right size,
    to bake it in.( 9 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch well. x 1 1/4 in. deep. )

Ingredients:
    ½ cup each of ( chopped small ) Red Pepper and Onion.
    ¼ cup of Celery also chopped small and Nuked them 1 ½ minutes
    Mixed in
    3 Tablespoons of Mayo and 1 teaspoon of mustard

In a SS bowl I put in a 15 oz. Can of Pink Salmon and
    Two 4 oz, cans of Bumblebee Crab Meat.( drained)
    Broke up the Salmon and picked out the backbone, then
    added the nuked Veggies and mixed well.

In another bowl I mixed all the dry Ingredients
    1 cup of bread Crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning
    2 teaspoons of Parsley Flakes
    1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
    1/2 teaspoon of Salt
    1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder and Onion Powder
    2 Tablespoons of Parmesan Cheese
    Beat 1 large egg with 1/4 cup of water and add to the dry ingredients.
    Add enough water to dampen .

I Mixed the wet and dry ingredients together and placed it in the tray.
    Baked it at 325 Deg. for 1/2 hour.

Put in some Baby Shrimp for Gills and an Olive for the eye

Turned the over to Low Broil basted the fish with melted butter and
    Broiled for about 10 minutes , or until browned.
    This mix also made two 4 inch round Fish Cakes.
    Lou

Think I'll add this to the " About the Salmon " Post

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Lou, your fish cake is cute! I don't like fish, but yours is adorable..:)
    Sol's entries are works of art...I love those little jello hearts!

Everything looks delcious, this site is taking forever to load!! I think they need a major updating!
    Ann, the fuge looks amazing..
    Sharon, I found a card here and there, but they are def phasing them out, every place I went to told me that!!
    Mine is a Canon also. Guess I am lucky I don't drive a Toyota..:)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathleen: Thank You.
    I just looked in Ebay and saw SD cards on sale.
    Think I'll buy one for an extra. I have a Canon Powershot A630.
    There are a lot of Models listed. I didn't know your's.
    Do you buy on Ebay ???
    I have an account. If you want, I'll bid on one for you.
    Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Kathleen, I just bought a couple of extra SD cards, since my camera uses them, Amanda's camera uses them, my mother's camera uses them. Geez, I just bought Mom that camera for Christmas and now they are phasing out.

What's for dinner? Oh, Elery was here and we did do some cooking, I just haven't gotten pictures loaded yet, so I'll do that later. Maybe tonight....

Annie

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Annie? You and Elery were cooking? And you have pictures?! Oh, oh. Wait you mean food for dinner. Not that kind of cooking. Whew. Totally kidding!

• User
    14 years ago

Good one Rob. LOL!

Ann

• jessyf
    14 years ago

I was wondering what that burning smell was wafting from Michigan.

• User
    14 years ago

LOL! Jessica.

Sharon, what fish available here would you say is like the Parrot fish?

Ann