SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Help ideas for international teas for kids

l pinkmountain
4 years ago

Dang I just lost a whole long post due to not being able to figure out how to post it on HD Conversations. I know a lot of you are inveterate cooks and world travelers. In a nutshell, I'm working on a teaching project for kids where I have at least three sampling stations of herbal teas and treats from at least three continents. I'm not having that much trouble coming up with the beverages, there are plenty of herbal teas and coffees and black and green teas for drinks. It's the sweets. They have to be shelf stable meaning they can be packed and set out and don't need to be heated or chilled ahead of serving. Also need to be kid friendly, not too weird and unfamiliar to American pallets. And ones I can easily make at home. Any good experiences or ideas out there? I can find a lot of stuff I could order, but I want something that even kids could maybe make with their parents. I am eventually going to turn this project into a blog, after I test out the stuff during a program on herbs next week at the local elem. school 3rd and 4th grade Jr. Garden Club. It's winter here in MI, not a lot of easily acquired fresh herbs but dried ones easy.

Thanks for the help and brainstorming ideas!

For teas I'm thinking chamomile for Europe, coffee or rooibos or hibiscus for Africa, black tea for Asia, and either coffee or hot chocolate or lemon verbena for S. America. Depends on the sweet, what goes with what. Vanilla would be great for Mexico. Cinnamon great for Asia but maybe sub ginger and leave cinnamon for Africa although it is not grown there . . . Africa is stumping me . . . sweet potatoes and bananas but what spices? Not the spicy Dutch stuff. Traditional shaped Asian cookies with bean paste or rice flour might be too difficult and weird for young kids . . . has to be herbal in nature, some type of plant based seasoning . . .

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting