SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venicemolly

Appropriate tile for kids bathrooms in historic house? HELP!

Molly H.
4 years ago

We are doing a gut renovation on a Historic 1909 Craftsman near the beach. I am stumped on a good choice for tile for my children's bathrooms. Everything I am drawn to that feels appropriate for the period house (hexagon, penny tile, marble mosaics) are not practical for my 6 year old son and tween daughter. I don't want to spend hours cleaning discolored grout and stressing out over etching and stains. I want low maintenance and indestructible.

I have visited a dozen showrooms. Nothing seems right. I don't want anything trendy or too contemporary. Large scale tiles which are durable and easy to clean seem out of place. While I like the patterned porcelain encaustic style tiles (and cement real ones), they are often too busy for my taste and depending on the pattern/motif not right for a craftsman. Faux marble ceramic and porcelain looks fake and the most impressive ones are mosaics with lots of grout. I want to use cool neutrals white or grey and open to accents of black or possibly dark blue if a print.

Shower will likely be tiled in some sort of classic - white subway tile with herringbone or hexagon accents. White shaker transitional vanities. I will add color with paint, towels and art and bring interest to the otherwise basic bathrooms with lighting and hardware. I like to have fun with things I can easily change. Tile is not one of those.

Anyone have suggestions of what might work or photos to share? I am totally stumped and need to start making decisions and get materials ordered. Thank you!

Comments (27)