SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redqueen_gw

please help save my kids' vine teepee! (MG)

RedQueen
18 years ago

We planted a vine teepee for the kids (5yo & 3yo) on mother's day. I guess teepees are traditionally grown with pole beans, but since the deer trounced dd's tomato plants last year I decided on morning glory instead.

dh set up the frame-- 5 10' tall fake bamboo poles with twine threaded around to provide a support for the vines. The kids and I went out and planted Grandpa Otts MG seeds along one of the "walls". We planted them about 4" apart. Then I went out and bought 5 started tricolor MG plants and planted them at the base of each pole. I also planted the remaining Grandpa Otts seeds along the other walls-- about 12" apart. The plants get sun each day from about 11 am to 6pm.

I was expecting the walls to be filled in by now with lush morning glory plants! but from a distance you'd never guess there were any MG's at all. The started plants i bought have climbed up maybe 2 feet, and 1 or 2 got munched by the bunnies. The seeds have finally started growing and are about 4" high but they don't appear to have a vine yet.

dh wants to take the teepee down because it looks pretty raggedy out there with the twine wrapped around all willy-nilly and no vines to fill it in.

How can i make these MG grow? I have pretty much ignored them b/c I read somewhere they flower more if you leave them alone. Honestly though, at this point I don't care so much about the flowers I just need some vines for walls! What should I do? Miracle Grow? Daily watering? It has been cool (high 60s low 70s) and dry here in sw ohio for most of may. Will the wamer weather help?

The cousins will all be here for father's day and I'd love for them to have a fun hideout to play in.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)