SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
photocat2012

Recommendations Needed - New Washer and Dryer - Moving in 2yrs

Photocat
4 years ago

Hi All - Been awhile since I've been around. My 17, going on 18, year old Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer and corresponding dryer (rebadged GE) are starting to show their age. While still functional (more or less) I'm debating about the cost of fixing - by a pro, not me (already estimated in the hundreds of dollars) or replacing. However, we are planning on selling our house in 2 - 3 years. Where we live, the washer and dryer will be part of the sale.

The dryer is the most annoying at this point. The sensor I believe is gone so we can only use it on timed drying which doesn't seem to work as well and takes even smaller loads a minimum of 60 minutes to dry. The washer, which I do love, is starting to squeak when filling up but one of the pumps I think is dripping water into the tub basin when it is off. Can be just a little bit or up to an inch or more of standing water in the tub within a day or two. Not a huge deal but I just worry about one day it will just stop altogether given the age and these symptoms starting to show up.

Soooo... curious to hear thoughts on how you all would proceed but I'm also trying to prepare if I need to fully replace one or both with something decent, affordable that I can live with for a couple of years (i.e no SpeedQueen in my immediate future - maybe my next house). Washer has to be a top-loader and physically about the same size as my Fisher & Paykel.

Comments (4)