What’s for Dinner #375

neely

So I get to start this thread with our roast beef and Yorkshire pudding Sunday dinner with broccolini, roastie potatoes, gravy and creamed horseradish.

Look forward to seeing and hearing about everyones’ yummy dinners.

SaveComment56Like5
Comments (56)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jasdip

Yay Neely for starting the thread!!!

This is my Dutch Baby that I had for breakfast; which is like your yorkie but made in a skillet. Thawed out some frozen berries to put on top.

3 Likes Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Yo, dutch baby. Love that and has been too long....next weekend!

We celebrated the NewYear.

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Oh, the dumplings look amazing, Sleevendog, as does Jasdip's dutch baby pancake and Neely's roast beef and Yorkshire puddings, yum.

Here it was a lot simpler, I made some lasagna to take to Mother, as well as a batch of cinnamon rolls. We had burgers made from the rest of the ground beef we'd thawed a couple of days ago, no pictures of those because they were just burgers and not very pretty, LOL.

Here's Mother's food, though, lasagna with buttered broccoli and the rolls.

I'll deliver her meals either tomorrow or Tuesday, but I have to make a few deviled eggs to take along, she really likes those and will eat a couple with a cinnamon roll for breakfast, so that gives her a couple of meals for a couple of days, plus some for her freezer.

Annie

3 Likes Save    
seagrass_gw

How far does she live from you, Annie??

Save    
Jasdip

Oh wow, your lasagna looks incredible, Annie!!

Save    
annie1992

Seagrass, she lives about 30 miles away, but she doesn't drive any more, and my brother lives with her but he's a terrible cook and mostly would prefer to just eat out. So I go out a couple of times a week. He eats some of it too, he'll definitely eat the lasagna and definitely will not eat vegetables of any type, LOL, so I just made extra.

Thanks, Jasdip. I like Joey's Killer Lasagna, but this is the one my Mother likes, it's straight off a Mueller's lasagna noodle box from the mid 70s. I'm glad I wrote the recipe down, back then it was all handwritten on recipe cards...

Annie

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Annie, those are incredible lasagna and cinnamon rolls. I'm sure your Mom appreciates having good meals at the ready. A couple of devilled eggs and one of those rolls would definitely make a breakfast worth getting out of bed for!

Save    
Jasdip

Annie I was doing some searching thru the cooking site and found some threads with Joey's Killer Lasagna. I'm going to copy that recipe and try it sometime

It was time for a healthy meal, so I made a skillet full of vegetables and some rice

Save    
mtnrdredux_gw

Caulifower crust pizza with spinach and fresh mozz, and a broccoli slaw.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, those vegetables look delicious, I love nearly all vegetables, so I'd be happy.

Mtnrdredux, my husband would LOVE that cauliflower pizza!

Here I roasted a chicken, with instructions from Jacques Pepin, 425F for an hour. I brined one of our homegrown chickens overnight in brine with some bay leaf, black peppercorns and lots of garlic, plus some rosemary and dried celery leaf. I forgot to take a picture until after we sliced it for dinner, LOL, so here's the "good side"!

Sides were home canned kale and some of last night's baked beans:

I baked some puppy shaped cupcakes for Madison's birthday party tomorrow. Instead of presents she asked everyone to bring donations for the local animal shelter. She adopted her dogs there, and wants to "help the ones I can't bring home with me". A dozen friends are going to paint at a local art studio, and we're having cupcakes, shaped like poodles, sheepdog (well, kind of) and labradoodles, a nod to her dear departed WonderMutt, who was a Golden Doodle but my frosting got a little dark, LOL.

Last night I made baked beans in my very vintage Macomb bean pot, makes the best beans ever. Original cost $1.79, LOL, I still have the paperwork,

Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the original dinner, but we had the beans with a pork tenderloin and some roasted butternut squash.

And tomorrow, we party!

Annie

Save    

Pupcakes, lol. Adorable. Encouraging our young ones to help and volunteer, donate, is our future. One step leads to others....

We have had the usual salads/veg/roasted/steamed/taco/veg bowl/mixed grains/ mixed beans/ all mixed and varied...posted often...

Did not bother to re-peat post.

Roasted tomato/veg soup. Ugly-ish in color. So good flavor.

Save    
shirl36

Been bread baking the past five days.

4 loaves of Maple Oatmeal bread

2 loaves of Rye bread

2 batches of hamburger buns

taking today off

this Oatmeal loaf is ready to walk out door with the next kid today where most of my bread goes.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Dinner tonight will be reheated BBQ ribs I dug out of the freezer last night with a side of roasted spaghetti squash and stir-fried snap peas. Think I will make a batch of "real" dinner rolls - from a box. I have a small stack of KAF mixes I ordered before Christmas so now need to get using on them.

Save    
Jasdip

Adorable pup-cakes!

Your soup isn't ugly in colour at all Sleeve, and it looks delicious!

I was at a loss on what to make for dinner, felt like Hasselback potatoes, so scratched my head wondering what to make while the oven was on at 400°.

I put my seasoning blend on some chicken parts, heated up the skillet in the oven, melted butter and oil put chicken in and baked them. They were actually delicious!

I also made rolls today......a loaf of bread and rolls. I set out to make hot-dog rolls as I want to have meatball subs soon. I have to start weighing my dought, I didn't think they looked nearly big enough, raw, so I added more dough to each one. The oven spring was fantastic, so I have mini-loaves of bread, instead of hot-dog buns! LOL

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, I like the addition of the seeds to the soup, it adds such a nice texture difference. I agree, we need to teach our kids to help, to volunteer, to donate, to focus on others instead of just ourselves/themselves.

Shirl, the bread looks amazing, and I love that maple oatmeal bread, I haven't made it in a long time, a couple of years probably. I need to make some.

Jasdip, you're better than I am at Hasselback potatoes, mine never fan apart and they are basically just baked potatoes with some butter on the outside. I've given up. Yours look good and your chicken is nicely browned, it looks yummy.

edie, we had BBQ'd ribs today too, I defrosted the freezer Friday and found a couple of packages of ribs that needed to be eaten, so I made those, some more baked beans, home canned green beans, au gratin potatoes, blueberry crisp. Then Amanda and Dave came to dinner with the kids, and I forgot to take pictures, you'll have to trust me on this!

Annie

1 Like Save    

Friends over for a pre-game brunch. 7 layer hot dip, posole topper. (auto-correct wants to call it 'poodle', lol). Giant 7 layer salad. Served with papadum. Adorable 7 yr old helped me make the papadum with ChefMike, (aka 'mike'rowave)

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Poodle, LOL. And Mikerowave. Aren't you clever, Sleeve!!

Save    

A youtube chef I follow was telling a brief story about his first 'fancy' restaurant job...fancy dining room and prices but hacks in the kitchen. All night long was "take that to ChefMike"..."ChefMike will take care of that". : )

1 Like Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Had to finish off the cuban sandwiches our former neighbor made for superbowl, so we HAVE to finish off the last of the crab that was on sale the other day!

So salad and crab or crabby sammies depending on how fresh the rolls stayed!

Early end to the crab season this year! So sad!

1 Like Save    
neely

Starting with Jasdips’ Dutch baby, onto Sleevendogs’ dumplings, then Annies’ cinnamon rolls followed by all the further photographed and described food... I’d say we are all eating very well.

i tried cooking ribs again. My entire knowledge of ribs comes from this cooking forum, so Yes it’s all reading not experience. Anyway, tried a dry rub mix, cooked at a low temperature in the oven for 3 hours. Not bad but a bit dry, but flavour wise better than the gooey ones I made last time.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

They look really good, Neely!!!!

I use the slow cooker for mine..........not drenched in barbecue sauce and then slow-cooked; that just creates a pot of grease.

I rub mine with a rub, set on their ends around the slow-cooker and cook 5-6 hours so all the grease drains off. Then I brush some barbecue sauce on them and bake in the oven or broiler just to heat the sauce and get some colour.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

When I do ribs I do them in the oven covered in foil the first half of baking then uncover and pour off all the accumulated greasy liquid. Put ribs back in baking dish and just almost "airbrush" a tiny amount of BBQ sauce on them and cook uncovered to shellac them. I want to taste the meat. DH on the other hand likes a little rib with his BBQ sauce :rolleyes: so he gets the bottle to dump on his. Yuck.

Save    
neely

Thanks for that info Jasdip and edie.. I now wish I had covered them with foil for most of the time which I can understand would have made them more moist. Oh well next time.

Save    

I've done ribs indoors winter/oven so many times my eyes glaze over. Usually pre-heat high, 450, dry rub day before, 10-20 minutes to sear uncovered, then drop heat to 325 covered, low and slow. Tricky having such different ovens.

Bone/veg broth.

Best veg bowl/miso in some time...

Mini meatballs....

same dealio tonight but with salmon.

Save    

Oh, I forgot the best 'dumb-dumb' part of last night. I dropped my cell phone into the soup pot, lol. So clean now, and survived.

Dumb-dumb.

In cohorts, making 4 more scrapple blocks, but with more meats and mushrooms. DH on grits/polenta duty.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Glad your phone survived the dip, Sleeve!

Save    

Dropped my phone a dozen times while the case dried out. Survived.

Soups have been great. Good broth w/miso. Salmon/corn/veg Chowder. DH wanted noodles so less like a chowder. Some sort of vegan, sprouted bean flour thing. Swelled near 4 times the dried state.

Black threads are hijiki.

Save    

Quick soup last night from the freezer. Added fresh veg in the pot. Good broth...turkey/white bean. Torn croutons tossed in olive oil/rosemary. Sheet pan oven toasted.

Save    
Jasdip

Sirloin Tip Roasts were on sale for $3.99 and I felt like roast beef so the timing was right.

I'm hoping to make shepherd's (cottage) pie out of the leftovers as well as thinly sliced roast beef sandwiches.

Save    
neely

All your soups look great Sleevendog... so healthy. Yummy steak Jasdip.

We also had steak with mushrooms, salad and a couple of little new potatoes. Steak was medium rare, you can see a little pink at the side.

Save    
Jasdip

Your plate looks great Neely, but the salad is calling me!

I couldn't find any pasta sauce in the freezer the other day, so a pot is on the stove now. I'll use the immersion blender when it's done cooking.

Save    

Mushrooms. So much flavor. I made a ragout not long ago and it has been such a great post holiday addition. 2 half pints in the freezer.

Quick tomato sauce with the minimalist veg and blend always works.

Freezer still needs some work and inventory. Did see a half dozen tomato sauce flat-packed quarts. Used one last night with the quick one-pot pasta dish. Lamb sausage in the oven, veg in a saute pan...one-pot-not. : )

Nice idea.

Momofuku's bo ssam pork shoulder in the oven....smells amazing.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

It tastes really good, Sleeve. Now why didn't I think of putting the rest of my sliced mushrooms in! Just onions, garlic and spices and some balsamic vinegar. Blended and 7 margarine dishes of sauce in the freezer.

Save    

Momofuku bo ssam. Nailed it.

1 Like Save    

photo enhancement punch.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Ooh sleevendog, that does look scrumptious!

Tonight we are having baked Grouper. DH had a doctor appointment yesterday and we have to literally drive right by the fishmonger, so we always stop when we are in the area. Baking butternut squash to go with it. Dessert will be the wonderfully sweet blueberries from my Misfits box served with freshly made Creme Anglaise.

Save    
Jasdip

I made my Cottage Pie today out of my roast beef leftovers. Ground the roast with my food processor.

It tastes great, a little runny but that's okay! And I used one of my new casserole dishes that I got for Christmas.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Oh, yum, it all looks delicious, but especially those mashed potatoes of Jasdip's. I love mashed potatoes.

Here I've been crazy busy with the Township stuff, working toward our March 10 primary election, so meals have been quick and simple. Tonight it was baked chicken with kale and green beans. Last night I made a "bowl" from Weight Watchers with oranges, cooked beets and lentils, on a bed of lettuce. It was thoroughly disgusting and I dumped mine in the chicken scraps. Even Elery, who will eat nearly anything, didn't care for it, although he dutifully munched his way through it. Before that it was cold sandwiches and a pot of beans and before that, pizza made with that 2 ingredient crust from self rising flour and greek yogurt. It wasn't great but it was one heck of a lot better than that cauliflower crust, ugh.

I'm really craving a bowl of beef vegetable soup, and I have an echocardiogram Wednesday followed by a Township Board meeting, so maybe I'll throw some in the crockpot then.

Annie

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Tonight was Hawaiian-style pork chops. Such an ugly wet gray day I wanted something cheerful. Found out though that my ginger is so old it has virtually no flavor :-( I use ginger maybe twice a year so I never think to replenish it. If I get fresh ginger, can I store it in the freezer?

Save    
annie1992

edie, I always put fresh ginger in the freezer, I don't even thaw it, just scrape off the peel/bark with a spoon and grate it up for whatever I need.

I finally made the vegetable soup that I was craving. I started with a package of Porterhouse steak that had lost vacuum and would get freezer burned, added onion, celery, garlic, carrots, a couple of turnips that were languishing in the refrigerator, one elderly red potato. A rummage in the freezer resulted in adding corn, bok choi and beans from last summer's garden, as well as the last of a partial bag of frozen peas. Oh, and half a pint of spaghetti sauce from the fridge. It was perfect!

and I baked a cast iron skillet full of corn bread to go with it:

This is the pizza with the two ingredient crust, and lots of vegetables, just a little cheese:

Before that, I baked a chicken and Elery made a zucchini "casserole" which we had with a terrible side dish of carrots, onions and frozen bok choi. The bok choi was hopelessly watery when thawed and it just wasn't good. It was far better in the soup!

And one more meal with the same chicken, same zucchini casserole as leftovers and roasted golden beets, with the last of the baked beans.

And so, I'm caught up!

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

I’ve never had corn bread and it looks so good Annie. I’ll add it to my list of ‘one day’

Two dinners were pasta shells stuffed with a chorizo, cheesy, spinach filling.

Lamb chops with a vegetable stew, sort of ratatouille but no tomatoes, plenty of beans and zucchini and egg plant.

Save    
shirl36

Today’s lunch.....

My most perfect looking biscuit I have EVER made in my lifetime.

Used AnnT’s biscuit recipe. Usually they are lopsided, crooked, but always delicious and I let DH have it with jelly.

Never miss a day reading CF...get so many inspirations from you all. Just got lazy taking pictures and posting, but today I just had to add.

2 Likes Save    
neely

Shirl that looks and I’m sure tastes delicious.

Save    
annie1992

Shirl, that is one perfect biscuit. I also use AnnT's biscuit recipe, it's always good but mine are never as pretty as that one!

Neely, corn bread is something I grew up with, we always had it with beans. Grandma said beans and corn together were a "complete protein", back when people said that, LOL. Elery grew up on it, of course, and it has to be baked in a cast iron skillet so the crust gets really crunchy.

Now, Elery would LOVE both of your meals, especially that lamb, although he's also a big fan of chorizo. I think that lamb meal, though, might make it on his list of "perfect meals".

Tonight I had a Township Board meeting AND a budget meeting, so we had leftover soup and it was still good.

Annie

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Annie: There is a law somewhere that states that if we have either chili or bean soup, the only acceptable accompaniment is cornbread. White cornmeal, not sweet, cast iron skillet heated screaming hot before pouring batter into pan.

Budget meeting - I'm sorry :-) glad you had an easy yummy meal to make up for it!

Save    

Soup. Needed a biscuit or cornbread!

1 Like Save    

We had taco Tuesday. DH was late getting home. I kept them warm in a low oven, side salad...to the table I tossed the salad on top. (mile high, lol)

Momofuku Bo Ssam/kimchi.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

edie, Elery's family is in Tennessee and his sister informed me that cornbread was made with white corn and no sugar or it was not cornbread, it was "just cake". I make it that way with savory items, but if I'm having a corn muffin for breakfast I want it yellow and with some sugar. I grew up on yellow cornmeal, no sugar, my Grandmother called it "Johnny Cake". She was from Ohio but her stepmother was from Kentucky and taught her to cook. Add Dad's family, who was from Canada and part Native American and always made sweet cornbread and I can make cornbread of any type, LOL. And, fortunately, I like it ALL.

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

That’s what I would call a loaded taco... so good.

Two small meals and both with our most liked sriracha sauce.

Many grains salad

Stir fry fish and veg

Date hearts for Valentines Day morning coffee. So easy... wiz up dates, almond meal, cocoa (Dutch) in amounts to suit easy rolling and taste .... no sugar. Dip in cocoa or coconut

Save    

Lovely salads, fresh veg. My neighbor uses natural sugars, nuts and seeds in her treats. (maybe we will get a valentine delivery)

Your sunset is 8.19 pm? Nice bright pics.

Our dreary 5.29pm sunset...

Mixed grain bowl, sheet pan salmon/veg,

Yesterdays Misfits box delivery....fresh organic veg from all over the warmer souther states...

1 Like Save    
neely

Sleevendog you are right 8.19... had to look it up. Stays light later as I am down south so we get more twilight. Anyway your produce looks bright and healthy regardless of the time.

Save    

Wild Mushroom Soup.

One of the uglier soups I have made and it was a Valentines meal, lol. Should have used one of my clear stocks. And too much veg to start. Maybe. Delicious though. DH has been asking about the arancini in the freezer. Roasted those with a chili oil glaze, roasted cauliflower, artichoke hearts and chickpeas.

Just a sliver pic of the final soup far right. (too gross to show full bowls)

Good food does not need to be pretty but I was hoping for slightly pink like the recipe...

Save    
Jasdip

Wow, what a lovely assortment of veggies, Sleeve!

I'm so glad you feel that "good food doesn't need to be pretty."

Mine seldom look great, but they taste good, which is what counts, even though I know we eat first with our eyes.

Neely, what a sweetheart you are! Making the date and cocoa hearts.

Shirl, awesome biscuit! I have one that is my favourite as well.....it's smiling! (I guess it's more like grimacing!)

Annie your vegetable soup is a meal in itself! I made cornbread once as per hubby's request, in cast iron. It was rather dry and crumbly so I haven't attempted it since. But growing up, our Nan (Grandmother) made it regularly, only we (a Canadian thing?) called it Johnny Cake.

I made a Chinese-style dinner tonite. Sauteed veggies, a sauce made, then capellini pasta added to cook. It called for rice noodles or vermicelli but I like cappelini. Meatballs with my soy/garlic sauce to go alongside.

Save    

Nice veggie bowl!. (plate) same dealio. Noodle inventory in the pantry has a dozen...one is capellini. My last batch of mini meatballs I froze on a sheet pan then zip-locked. nice to hunt in the freezer like Annie's soup and find, add, this and that.

Burger night is similar to taco night. Should be easy but ends up a dance of variety. I prepped ahead, a few hours, 'mies en place'. Quick pickled red onion, marinated blue cheese, potato/sweet potato soaking, change water a few times, dry, then into the fridge to dry further, burger fridge drying coated in mushroom/umami powder...make fry sauce, toss potatoes in rice flour/corn starch, into hot oven, veg tray lower rack, sear burgers, toast buns, (English muffins), such a dance to get all to the table hot. Worth it and so good but not a quickie like scavenger soup.

Save    
annie1992

Neely, that grain salad looks good, I'd like that a lot. The date hearts sound really nice too, a sweet snack to go with coffee.

Jasdip, I've made some dry and crumbly cornbread and some nice and moist sweet cornbread, more like a cupcake. If it's crumbly, I crumble it into a bowl of chili, or make cornbread salad. Your vegetables look nice and fresh even without a MisFits Box! (grin)

sleevendog, that is some nice produce, and mushroom soup sounds good, even if it's not "pretty". Elery stopped at a local produce market today and picked up THREE heads of cauliflower for $5. A great buy, but what in the world am I going to do with three heads of cauliflower?

Here I splurged for Valentine's Day and made lobster rolls. Of course there are no fresh lobsters available here, so I ended up with frozen lobster meat and a baguette from Aldi, LOL. Some vegetable slaw on the side and roasted butternut squash . Elery had never had a lobster roll and this one wasn't great, it wasn't even very good, the lobster meat was kind of salty, for some reason. Someday he'll get a "real" one...

Today it was chicken rice soup, not pretty and no pictures.

Annie

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Tonight was a chuck roast done in the crockpot. It was a particularly great cut of chuck, well-marbled, and cooked up very juicy and tender. I have enough leftover for making piroshkies later this week when my Misfits box comes (supposed to have a head of cabbage in it) and also a lot of good beef & broth for a pot of soup. To go with the roast tonight, I cooked green beans and little blue potatoes. I've never had those potatoes before. Oh my goodness, just boiled with the green beans they were the creamiest potatoes I've ever had. I am in love!!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Data Watch Data Watch: What’s Great, and What’s Not, About a Smaller Home
Houzz asked more than 200 U.S. homeowners about life in 1,000 square feet or less. Here’s what they said
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: What’s an Appropriate Gift to Welcome a New Neighbor?
Etiquette expert Lizzie Post suggests the right time and best presents to introduce a new neighbor to your area
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: What’s Your Perfect House Size?
How big is too big? How small is too small? Please tell us which home size is just right for you
Full Story
We are a residential architecture and design firm focused on creating spaces spaces that function at their... Read More