SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

GERMAN CHOCOLATE NO BAKE PIE

User
4 years ago

This will be my "church lady" pie that I take to our church's Oktoberfest on Sunday. I know it's not German but neither is the Reuben casserole that we serve that so many love! But it is a good pie and very rich -- I think it can definitely be cut into small pieces!

NO BAKE GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

Crust:

1 package Oreos, crushed into crumbs

8 T. butter, melted

(or you can buy a premade chocolate cookie crust)

Chocolate Ganach Filling:

16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (that’s 1 package an ⅔ of a cup from another)

2 ¼ c. heavy cream

½ stick unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into cubes

GERMAN CHOCOLATE TOPPING:

½ c. light brown sugar

½ c. half and half

2 ounces salted butter, cut into tiny pieces (or unsalted butter and add a pinch of salt)

2 large egg yolks

7 oz. bag sweetened shredded coconut

1 t. Vanilla

¼ c. pecans, chopped

In a large bowl, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Mix well to combine. Press the crust into a 9 inch pie plate, pressing it in the middle and up the sides. Place crust in freezer for 30 minutes.

Add chocolate chips to a large heatproof bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream to a low simmer, then remove from heat. Pour the warm cream on top of the chocolate and set aside for 1 minute. Using a whisk, stir the chocolate and cream together whisking until the melted chocolate and cream are completely combined; about every 2 minutes. Add in the butter and use a spatula to stir until the butter is completely melted. Pour into the chilled crust and set aside.

In a small heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, half and half and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Place egg yolks in a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot cream mixture into the yolks to temper the mixture, then return everything to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook 2- 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly; the mixture will thicken during this time. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla; cool 15 minutes.

Pour mixture over chocolate filling and sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into slices and serving.

Comments (12)