Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

My Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe

gldno1
13 years ago

Chocolate Cream Pie

From 1960 era BH&G cookbook

1 cup sugar

¼ cup cornstarch or ½ cup ap flour (I used flour)

3 cups Milk

3 squares unsweetened chocolate (or semi-sweet chocolate for Milk Chocolate Pie)

4 eggs (separated)

1 tablespoon butter

1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla

pinch salt (not in original recipe)

For filling, in a medium saucepan combine sugar and flour. Gradually stir in milk and chocolate. (Note: I grate the chocolate to speed up the melting) Cook and stir over medium high heat till thickened and bubbly.

Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue topping.

Beat yolks lightly with fork. Gradually stir in a cup or so of hot filling into yolks; blend.

Return all to saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir another 2 minutes.

Remove from heat stir in butter and salt and vanilla.

Pour hot filling into baked pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling. Seal to edge.

Bake 350° for 12-15 minutes or till golden. Cool on wire rack.

Meringue for 4 egg whites:

4 egg whites

1 t. vanilla

½ t. cream of tartar

½ cup sugar

(pinch of salt)

Have egg whites at room temperature. Combine whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt in mixing bowl. Beat about l minute to soft peaks. Slowly sprinkle sugar (l T at a time) while beating. Beat on high speed about 4 minutes until all sugar is dissolved. Immediately spread over hot filling.

I used the unsweetened chocolate which made for a very dark, rich pie. I have often substitued cocoa powder using the 3T cocoa and lT fat for one square of chocolate.

Comments (10)