SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m2dougherty

Bathroom in Need of Remodeling With Pictures

4 years ago

Looking for help in redoing this bathroom. It is located in a family owned house built in 1903 that has passed to another family member. Enclosed are pictures of its semi demolished state.

The room is 46 inches wide and 9 feet 3 inches long. The tub/shower sits in an alcove created by a bump out in the wall which sits over a shed attachment to the first floor. The long closet is 5 feet wide and 1 foot deep except for a 14 inch wide section that that is 29 inches deep as it fits into what is left of the bump out after the tub/shower and pipe installation. There is a window in the tub alcove that is protected by a shower curtain. The ceiling in the alcove is 14 inches lower than the ceiling of the rest of the room which is 8 feet

The original aim was to have a style that would complement the rest of the 1903 hip roofed house. It has some nice features like the round dining room with five bent glass windows and a huge wrap around porch on three sides of the house. The original oak woodwork has been retained, cleaned up and varnished in a satin finish.

The marble tile from Home Depot was laid by a professional but in his early days. It was done in the late eighties. I think that he should have used unsanded grout for the marble but he used sanded so far as I can tell. I grant you that I am no expert only an ordinary home owner. I give him credit though in that nothing is cracked and it is still adhering to the walls in the tub surround. The polished marble on the floor is somewhat worn around the toilet and sink. They think that in choosing new tile they would like a floor tile that would be more slip resistant. They would like to get away from the marble and have something more durable for a family bath. There is a small bathroom off of the master so this bath is for potential children and visitors.

If you have any ideas as to how the floor plan might be changed they are welcome. So far as I can see everything needs to stay where it is.

So The aim is to honor that age and style of the house and to also bring it up to date for convenience, ease of cleaning and use of modern hair styling tools. The door opens to the right and swings

clear of the current sink.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH