SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kruso_gw

Novice taking on a bathroom remodel... need guidance.

13 years ago

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and this would be my first post. I have under taken a new project (our guest bathroom remodel) and am contently holding on to the edge of my comfort zone as this is a new frontier for me. I hope to document the entire process on this site and I have taken pictures from beginning to the current state and hopefully will eventually to the end as real time as possible to get the best results (fingers crossed). I apologize in advance for the ridiculously long read ahead for anyone who reads it so bare with me... I just want to share how exactly I ended up knee deep.

Our guest bathroom is fairly small but unfortunately is used the most with tons of usage. Project started as a simple "paint job" but found wallpaper underneath many layers of paint but you could make out the wallpaper seems which looked very bad. Wanted to do everything right so I ended up spending 3 days removing all the wall paper (which was the worst thing I've ever had to do) with a professional rented steam wall paper removal tool only to find severe damage to the sheetrock and fungus behind it in many areas. With a heavy heart decided it was best to just simply install new sheetrock. In the process of gutting the sheetrock we decided that because this bathroom is used ALOT, we might as well make some upgrade and change a few things around to make it more functional...so out came the bath tub/ toilet/ vanity, lighting, old exhaust fan and a 3' separation wall between the vanity and the toilet. This bathroom is only 5'x9' and always seemed very cramped especially with the separating wall in the middle and what I always thought to be an over sized vanity. Instead of bathtub which is never used as baths, we opted to install just a shower pan and build just a shower instead.

As of right now the bathroom sits with all the new sheet rock and hardie backer installed (new found respect for those who have done this before), recessed lighting and the new exhaust fan installed. Tomorrow I'm hoping to be able to get all the sheetrock joints smoothed out and the next thing to go in will be the new tile in the shower area. We ended up picking out the same tile for the floor as the 3 shower walls. Only the shower walls will be tiled. I've been able to make it this far with the help of DIY writeups but I've spent hours and am having a bit of a hard time finding out exactly how to transition from the shower tiles to the sheetrock which is the main reason why I'm here. The tiles we ended up getting are 12x12 Travertine Antique Walnut if thats relevant. I just can't imagine that tiles would end and sheetrock would just begin with some mortar in between??

Here is a creative diagram of what the bathroom layout used to look like. I will post the progress pictures soon.

Comments (3)